Brewer Fanatic

Overall Opinion of Melvin's Offseason

brewjihad
My dad went to the game yesterday @ Cubs. He mentioned that Hall looked awful at 3B... I know it's just one game, but still - not encouraging news.

He is going to take time to revert to being an infielder again. He will be fine, and a huge upgrade over Braun at 3B.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know he's going to be much better than Ryan was last year, but if he can't get near league-avg., our IF defense won't be able to improve very much. That was a big problem last season.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Even if he is just as bad in left as 3rd, the fact is... he will see less action there and that alone is a good reason for the move

I can't see anyone disagreeing with that. Not to reintroduce the discussion of just how bad he was at third, but he just can't be as bad in LF as at 3B - it simply can't happen. Only Johnny Estrada and his 6.5sec 40 time would be that bad in left.

"1. At least make the offer to Prince. Would a six-year, $70 million deal have been that easy for Prince to turn down, Boras or no Boras?

2. Very simple: Shifting Hall to left still gets you a decent LF bat if he rebounds from 2007 to 2005/2006 numbers. It's also less complicated than shifting both Hall and Braun, which they did. Braun may be one of the worst defensive 3B, but he's an elite offensive 3B. Braun would have improved to a tolerable defensive 3B. "

1. Yes Boras would have easily declined that. He simply doesn't buy out arbi years, periord. And since he's handling Fielders money situation, he would have rejected it.

2. So you want to have Hall in Left, and keep Braun at 3rd because of their offensive numbers... I may not be a genious manager or anything... but since Braun will definitely not be as bad in left as 3rd (so upgrade) and Bill Hall is more natural in the infield than outfield (upgrade) wouldn't that make more sense to you? I mean, their offensive bats are still in the lineup either way, so how does what you said make sense at all in terms of defense?

Archived