Brewer Fanatic

How do you treat your meat?(grilling)

logan82

I did orange duck on the grill yesterday. Turned out great.

Basically like beer can chicken, except I used a 16 oz tall can and filled it half full with mostly orange juice, a little Grand Marnier, and some orange zest. Skin was poked to let fat drain. Bird was painted with olive oil, had an orange rubbed over it, and then seasoned with coarse salt and black pepper. Definitely need to use a drip pan, as a lot of fat will drain off the bird and you'll want to repoke it after an hour. Ready in about an hour and a half and finished it off with an orange barbeque sauce.

I'm sure you could substitute chicken as well.

Robert

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have changed from beer butt chicken to butterflying chickens as my preferred method for cooking whole chickens. I have also changed to Stubbs BBQ sauce.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Allegro is a great marinade for steaks. There are several flavors but I like the spicy one the best. I usually marinade it for about 24 hours then grill it. If you really want an excellent steak try smoking it for 1/2 an hour at 150 degrees then finish it off on the grill.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I've been working on making hot wings lately. Let me first say that I was never a wing guy, then tried the "dry" wings at Points East Pub and now I'm trying to recreate their deliciousness. I sometimes try wings elsewhere but they're never as good as Points East, in my opinion.

I've made these a few times now and I think I'm onto something. They're definitely not the same as Points East but they're now my 2nd favorite wings.

Here's my rub recipe for approximately 24 wings. If you love them really spicy, add some crushed red pepper:

1 T black pepper

1 T garlic powder

1 T cayenne pepper

1 T paprika

1 T brown sugar

Let that rub soak into the meat for at least an hour. Then dip the wings in a mix of 6 oz. Frank's Hot Sauce and 3 oz. butter. Grill 10-15 minutes each side.

The part I'm still working on is the grilling part. I've found that laying them on the outside of the grill seems to cook them thoroughly without too much char.

I had heard of carcinogens in burnt meat so I make sure not to bur meat when I grill. Mooooooooo

I just started reading back a bit in this thread and really laughed out loud after reading this. Nice....

Oh yeah, my favorite description for cooking steak:

Waiter: How would you like your steaks cooked?

Pepper: Oh, just knock its horns off, wipe its nasty ass, and chunk it right here on this plate.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Let me first say that I was never a wing guy, then tried the "dry" wings at Points East Pub and now I'm trying to recreate their deliciousness.

Best of luck to you in your mission to recreate the Points East wings. After living directly across the street from them for a couple years a few years back, literally a 20 second walk, I can 100% agree with you that their wings are some of the tastiest that you will ever eat.

There are only a couple things that I consistently grill.

My favorite things to grill are prime New York strip steaks. NY strips are by far my favorite steak. (Filets are 2nd but those are much less forgiving so I seldom cook them, I rely on restaurants for that cut.) I treat them very lightly because it's a quality cut of meat which already has a lot of flavor. It's imperative that you let them sit out uncovered for a bit before

cooking them, they should be almost room temperature so that they cook evenly. I just do the classic thing and brush them with a thin coat of olive oil (I used to use extra virgin but that has a low smoke point and I got sick of the billowing clouds of smoke so I started using half extra virgin and half light olive oil). Then I sprinkle them liberally on both sides with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. (I use sea salt because I like the bigger crystals compared to table salt. Freshly cracked pepper is a more complex flavor than pre-ground pepper, which is why I use that. It's a little less one-note.) Anyway, then I throw them on the heat for somewhere between 4 and 7 minutes on each side, depending on how hot the grill is, how thick the steak is, and how well I want it done (my wife prefers it a little more well done than I do). I only flip once, if possible. Sometimes I undershoot it and have to flip a 2nd time but I don't think that's a huge deal, it just makes it a little harder to keep track of the doneness. After I take it off the heat, I let it rest for 5-10 minutes so that the juices reabsorb into the meat. I usually let it rest closer to 5 than 10 minutes because I like it to still be relatively hot. I usually will sautee a little bit of shallots and/or onions and mushrooms (I like shiitake but buttons will do fine) to go with the steak. Sometimes I'll put a little bit of bleu cheese or feta on top of the steak while it rests, just to add a little contrasting texture and flavor. I think that makes a perfect entree.

My 2nd favorite things to grill are tuna steaks. I treat them much like the strips, except that I add a little ground shallots, garlic, and onion and a little pink and green peppercorns. They cook a little faster than beef but are excellent. I've always loved tuna, it's my favorite fish. They can be eaten just like a steak but I often make them into a nice tuna melt with a slice of gouda or sharp cheddar, some sauteed red onions and a mayonnaise made with ancho chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder. Any bread will work but I prefer a relatively soft one so the tuna doesn't slide out when you take a bite, which can happen if you use a real firm or crusty bread.

One of my wife's favorite things that I grill are the pork center cut loins that endaround mentioned on the 1st page. They are much like cutlets, which I like because I don't like pork chops at all (unless it's a thick cut kurobuta). I cut off the little strip of fat on the side because I hate pork fat. Then I coat them on both sides with tomato powder, salt and pepper, and garlic/onion powder. I like pork well done so I cook them about 8 minutes on each side even though they are thin. They're delicious.

And the last thing I like to grill often is bacon. It needs to be thickly cut but it works surprisingly well.

• 2 years later...
Looking forward to Monday and more grilled pizza. Pictures in Reply 100ish

I have taken to "grilling" breakfast pizza. Boubolli crust, sausage gravy, some hash browns, half a dozen scrambled eggs... topped with meats and cheeses. Delicious.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I grill all the time, and grilled these on the Cinco de Mayo game. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/pork-and-chorizo-burgers-with-green-chile-mayonnaise-recipe/index.html

They were AWESOME. A truly unique burger if you want to mix it up a bit. And that green chili mayo recipe that's included is absolutely incredible.

For dessert - Grilled pineapple slices with some ice cream and caramel sauce or butterscotch sauce. yum.

made a grilled stuffed Cuban pork tenderloin this week - really, really good.

Archived