Brewer Fanatic

How do you treat your meat?(grilling)

logan82
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Genisis silver B I bought a few year back and I love it. I wish I had bought the one with the side burner, but I can get by without a side burner.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I was just reading up on carcinogens when it comes to grilling and smoking meat. Apparantly an average size steak for example can have the equivelant amount of carcinogens as 15 cigarettes. However the chemical process that occurs to make the carcinogens only occurs with natural charcoal or wood and only when the fat on the meat comes into contact with them. So to keep your meat from being worse for you than half a pack of cigarettes prevent meat from dripping fat on natural coals.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few Italian Sausages this time. Wait until I fire up the smoker.

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQPooxQ00xaaGxv8uOc5xQQQloaGQnleQQqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QoQ0%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442
-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

• 2 weeks later...
I am planning on trying pizza on the grill in a few weeks. I am currently in the process of looking at recipes for pizza sauce. Has anybody tried pizza on the grill before?

I blame Wang.

• 3 weeks later...

So My Sara and I came up with a sweet recipe for pizza dough on the grill that worked real well. Here it is.

To make it rise she preheated the oven to its lowest setting and then left the oven door open with the dough sitting inside of it (in a plastic bowl none the less). Be sure to let the yeast have its time with the sugar and water.

Also we found that adding a little extra flour works out quite well. There was no need for a pizza stone, it went right on to the grill and quickly stiffened up.

The ingredients you put on the pizza should also be pre-cooked since after you flip the pizza it won't be on the grill much longer.

Grilled pizza has a wonderful rustic quality with a thin and crispy crust.

Create your own combination of toppings or try our one of our pizza recipes.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup warm water

Pinch of sugar

1/4 cup room temperature white wine

1 packet active dry yeast

1 tablespoon honey

1 1/2 teaspoon fine gray sea salt

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or garlic-infused olive oil

3 cups all-purpose flour

Instructions:

Combine the water, yeast and pinch of sugar in a large bowl. Stir gently until fully dissolved and then wait two minutes.

Gently stir in white wine.

Add honey, salt and olive oil. Mix thoroughly by hand. Or, use a KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook attachment at low-medium speed.

Mix in 1 cup of the flour to make a wet paste. Add remaining flour. If using a KitchenAid mixer, increase speed to medium-high, but be careful not to over-mix.

Knead dough by hand on a lightly-floured board for 2-3 minutes.

Place the dough in a lightly-oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise for 45 minutes to an hour in a warm and humid environment (try putting the bowl on top of an oven set to 300 degrees or above an open dishwasher that has just finished running).

The dough can be kept, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

When ready to use, split the dough into four equal parts. On a lightly-floured board, use a rolling pin or your hands to stretch and shape each piece of dough into an 11-inch pizza crust.

Transfer the crust to a pizza peel that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.

If using a pizza stone, assemble the pizza on the pizza peel, then transfer to the pre-heated pizza stone. Cook with indirect heat at 500 degrees for about 10 minutes (see our Guide to Grilling the Perfect Pizza).

If grilling the pizza directly on the grill rack, the grill should be prepped for indirect cooking at 400 degrees. Transfer the pizza to the indirect cooking zone on the grill rack. Close the hood and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the crust over and quickly add the pizza toppings. Continue cooking, hood closed, for about another 5 minutes.

Try to keep the ingredients simple, and don't overload the crust.

I used this as a basic sauce form allrecipes.com.

I used 12 ounces of paste instead of 6. I also was probably closer to 2 teaspoons of garlic(there is no such thing as to much garlic). After mixing it all up, I split it in half, combined half of it with 8 ounces of Sprecher Hefe Weiss and let it simmer on the stove for a bit(not sure how long). I personally liked the beer sauce better. I think next time I would go with all paste and use the beer to thin it out.

Edit: Updated pizza sauce recipe

• 1 (12 ounce) can tomato Paste
  • 8 ounces Hefe weisse
  • 1 tablespoon ground oregano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon ground paprika
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Simmer for about half an hour on low-medium heat or until desired thickness.

I blame Wang.

I am planning on trying pizza on the grill in a few weeks. I am currently in the process of looking at recipes for pizza sauce. Has anybody tried pizza on the grill before?

I have made pizza on the grill... I have found using a stone makes things easier. go light on the cheese.

Fatter than Joey wrote:

I have made pizza on the grill... I have found using a stone makes things easier. go light on the cheese.

We made sure our crust dough was not runny. It actually ended up being much like a flat bread. Cooked one side and then flipped an put on our toppings. We also sprayed Pam on the grill before putting the dough on the rack. I will probably look for a pizza stone so we can do the same thing in our oven in the winter.

Edit: Time for a Miller is my brother. We used his crust and my sauce.

I blame Wang.

My wife makes outstanding homemade pizza.

She puts some sort of cornmeal on the crust, which I guess dries it up or something -- She makes her dough in a bread-machine which is the #1 use of our bread machine by far.

You can get pizza stones rather cheap at wal-mart -- they can get more expensive at a specialty shop of course.

• 7 months later...

Giving this thread a bump. Tis the season after all. I think I have grilled 3 of the last 4 weekends. I think there is only one weekend I missed since the Super Bowl. I just can't wait for spring.

Does anybody have recommendations for baked potatoes on the grill?

I notice that somebody mentioned a KC Masterpiece marinade a few pages back. I tried their BBQ sauce on ribs a couple weeks ago. I thought it was great. Cheap too. About a buck cheaper for the same size bottle as other name brand stuff. I boiled the ribs before putting them on the grill. They pretty much went on the grill for flavor. Very tender.

I blame Wang.

One of my favorite vegetables on the grill is zucchini. I bought "Grill Shakers" brand seasoning. They make a lemon pepper vegetable season that is awesome. It's good for lots of different vegetables. I take the zucchini and slice it about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick into round pieces and sprinkle on the seasoning. If your grill is clean that's all you need to do. You can paint on some good olive oil so that it doesn't stick. Flip it over after about 4 minutes or so and then re-season. When it's soft it's done.

I highly recommend Weber's Big Book of Grilling. A bunch of great recipes for anything you could want to put on the grill. My mother in-law gave it to me last year for Christmas. There are tons of recipes for rubs, marinades, vegetables, tips for smoking. It's awesome.

I'd second that recommendation - tons of great recipes in there, especially for making your own marinades and rubs. They've even got good stuff for sides and desserts too. I love grilling season...just grilled up some giant chicken legs with a barbecue rub last night. Mmmm....

Grilling some No Name Steaks on the grill right now. Added some pepper, Montreal rub and some garlic salt. Wash this down w/ a couple of your favorite beers and you have had a successful evening http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

• 2 months later...

This is what we grilled on Friday. Hamburger patty, brat patty, cheddar cheese, and bacon on a pretzel bun.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/fab351e4648385dc2a618b4ac5d34e33cb249d4.jpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/93e257a606819239872c24575e369fe82d8175d.jpg

I blame Wang.

grilled out rib eyes for my birthday yesterday.

I made a rub consisting of:

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons garlic salt

2 tablespoons pepper

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

1 teaspoon cumin.

Patted the steaks dry and massaged the rub in. grilled at 500 degrees for 4-5 minutes each side. then turned grill down to medium and let steaks hit about 135 degrees with the meat thermometer. Perfect medium to medium rare goodness http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

This was one of the best steaks i've ever had. I always try something different, but I might go back to this one.

I am not sure if any store makes pretzel buns. We bought a pretzel mix(Auntie Anne's) and made the loops a little smaller so the pretzel ended up bun size. I think we will look up a soft pretzel mix next time.

I blame Wang.

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures of pizza on the grill are better than just describing it. The recipies for the sauce and dough are around replie #83-86ish

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/09125ea69c8392a78efcd90b365122801a721de.jpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/2b025826e688d2cd842cbcad52bc18bcfd18db7.jpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/14715767802c8fc725cd682d1c921252bda2c63.jpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/da925966368af21a89bc6d24491b486d0b87b87.jpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/80725a36328c3299852cffc97e6b24d0dd8dd4c.jpg

I blame Wang.

Archived