Brewer Fanatic

How do you treat your meat?(grilling)

logan82
Hey rwa if you are still looking at thhis thread, How long do you marinade your white wine, soy sauce, and sesame oil conncotion and what are the porportions on it? Also does any white wine work pretty much the same. Opening day is coming up and I want to try a new marinade for our day of grilling.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With opening day next week, I'm looking for some new ideas. We're pretty much set with the brats that we make, but I'm getting a bit bored with the condiments and such that I use (for a brat...I usually use either Stadium Sauce or sweet Baby Ray's, along with some dijon mustard and a generous helping of warmed saurkrat). What do you guys put on brats and/or hot dogs? Anything exiciting I could be trying?

The last couple of tailgate parties I cooked at, I made marinated pork sandwiches.

I buy a good size pork loin and and slice it into 3/4" to 1" slices, then I marinate it for a few hours in whicheve type of marinade sounds good at the time. I used Lawry's Louisiana red pepper on some of the chops and garlic and herb on the others. Then just grill them until cooked, put on a bun and serve, no condiment needed. These got great reviews from my friends.

Kikkoman makes a Garlic Teriyaki sauce that I use to marinade anything and everything in sight. I've put stuff in it over night and you get a nice strong flavor, but it's so tasty that even if you forget to marinade or wait til the last minute, you can put some on just before or while you're cooking and still get a good taste. I haven't had a steak without this stuff on it in ages.

It's in the same shaped bottle as the regular Teriyaki, but it's purple instead of orange and I've never been to a Pick N Save that didn't have it. I usually stock up on the big bottles at the Wisconsin Foods Pavilion at State Fair, too.

Ditto on the Tony Chachere's seasoning. That's a staple of every table in New Orleans. Even McDonald's will have a bottle of this stuff for you to put on your fries there. It's a simple, quick sprinkle for chicken or burgers.

Lastly, those looking to expand their palate's should look at stuff you can order from out of state. Jack Stack is a BBQ place in KC that sells their sauces and rubs pretty cheap. I'm pretty sure Corky's and Rendezvous in Memphis sell their rubs online. As previously mentioned in the BBQ thread, I think The Salt Lick in Austin has the best BBQ sauce I've ever tasted. It's not the thick red/maroon you're used to. It's more vinegar based with spices and I adore it.

When you travel, grab these things and bring them back to you. I have family in Memphis and KC, that's how I know of these places and when I visit or they come here, I always get more. I have a college friend in Austin who sends me Salt Lick every couple of months. The connections are where it's at!

With opening day next week, I'm looking for some new ideas. We're pretty much set with the brats that we make, but I'm getting a bit bored with the condiments and such that I use (for a brat...I usually use either Stadium Sauce or sweet Baby Ray's, along with some dijon mustard and a generous helping of warmed saurkrat). What do you guys put on brats and/or hot dogs? Anything exiciting I could be trying?

I tried Arby's sauce on brats and liked it very much, now whenever i go to Arby's, i grab some extra ones for when i make brats.

I have a request that this thread be pinned at the top of the Off topic board so it will be easy to find this spring and summer...

There are some great ideas on here and I am going to try them this summer.

One of the tips I have for grilling is to have a good digital thermometer....I have been told my an executive chef that you should never grill steaks by color, but by internal temperature. Since I have started using the thermometer, I have not overcooked a steak.

I have a request that this thread be pinned at the top of the Off topic board so it will be easy to find this spring and summer...

There are some great ideas on here and I am going to try them this summer.

One of the tips I have for grilling is to have a good digital thermometer....I have been told my an executive chef that you should never grill steaks by color, but by internal temperature. Since I have started using the thermometer, I have not overcooked a steak.

From my experience, the main reason people overcook a steak is putting it on a not hot enough grill. You want the grill to be hot enough to sear the outside fairly quickly so the inside doesn't get dry. If a grill isn't hot enough, it's nearly impossible to get a steak charred on the outside before the inside is overcooked unless you're someone who likes a steak well done.

"One of the tips I have for grilling is to have a good digital thermometer....I have been told my an executive chef that you should never grill steaks by color, but by internal temperature. Since I have started using the thermometer, I have not overcooked a steak. "

Maybe a dumb question - but by putting a thermometer into a steak, arent you releasing some of the juices that are the most important part of it? I guess I question how that is any different from Cutting into it which to me would be very second rate.

I love chicken on the grill. I use a pretty simple marinade of white wine, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder and regular vegetable oil. For burgers I use Lawry's, onion powder and garlic powder. I love garlic powder on everything. One thing I like to do also is make grilled quesadillas. Cook up the chicken, spray the tortilla with Pam or butter or whatever. Slap the tortilla down and fill with everything and get the tortilla nice and golden brown. Just like everything else on the grill, it tastes way better than making it inside.

Tony Chaceri's seasoning. I may have spelled the last name wrong. You can get it at Wal-Mart. It's a cajun type of seasoning. Awesome stuff! We use that on any kind of meat. On steaks, we use this special seasoning that some guy named Bill made for years down here in a little town in Texas. You can only get it at the grocery store he used to own (he's dead now). My mother-in-law gets some for us, and best part is, you can only buy it in bulk. That and some pepper rubbed in on a steak....Mmmmmmm.

Time for a Miller-

I had forgotten all about this thread. Anyways, the marinade is 2 parts white wine (any cooking wine will do, don't splurge here), 1 part soy sauce, and then a teaspoon of Sesame oil. Sesame oil is expensive, but a little extra goes a long way. Marinate for at least an hour, the longer the better. Good luck, you may want to do a trial run, and get the proportions right for you. If you like saltier food, go heavier on the soy...and there is never a thing as too much sesame oil!

Thanks for the tips rwa, I'm going to be buying all the stuff I need on Sunday (the first day I don't have to work). I'm taking vaction for Monday and grilling out with my bro. I'm going to try your recipe and marinade overnight.... I hope that is not too long. Is that to long? Let me know and I won't soak the chicken for so long. I need more recipe's cause we're actually grilling out every Sunday all season long and I need to be bringing at least my AA game.

You asked about tips for veggies on the grill. The previous tip on Aspargus is a definite favorite in my family. I drizzle a small amount of good olive oil on it, a little salt an pepper and hot coals. It only takes a few minutes, and there are even grilling pans that make keeping the vegies all in one place. Try mushrooms the same way, put them on wood skewers/oil/salt/pepper and grill. MMMMMMMM,good. Grilled fresh pineapple is Great. Zuchini sqaush is cheap in season. Slice it the long way, about 1/4 inch thick. I've even grilled green beans, the same way as the aspargus.

I'm not a vegatarian, but we have a large garden in the summer, and we love fresh veggies, with our grilled meats.

Now I'm hungry and its still way to cold to get the grill out.

If you are going to buy wine for cooking, I would reccommend getting a 4-pack of white wine. That's what my wife usually buys. You only have to open one at a time and it will keep pretty well as long as you don't let it get to hot or leave it in sunlight. I think it is around $5 for a 4-pack.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

rwa12,

I tried your marinade for opening day. It smelled really strong and I didn't think it would be good, but it was excellent. I kept dripping on the marinade as I grilled it. Nice flavor. I'm looking for a new marinade for this Sunday. I'm thinking of going with a steak marinade this time if anybody has any ideas. Otherwise I'll probably try looking somewhere other then Brewerfan.

1. Rwa12's chicken marinade (1 part white wine:1 part Soy Sauce: Some Sesame seed oil-the more the better)

• 2 weeks later...

I marinade with worchestire sauce, mustard, and some standard BBQ sauce, not a whole lot of each. Marinade overnight, 48 hours is even better. I then sprinkle with Al's rub, which is really just garlic powder, rotissiere chicken seasoning, and a few of my other favorites in a spice jar

I'm trying this recipe this weekend and was wondering if I could get some ratios with the worchestire, mustard, and BBQ sauce. Also I was wondering if "Al's rub" is really important and what the "few of your other favorites are." Otherwise I'll probably just use garlic powder sinhce I'm not sure what the other seasoning's are.

Archived