Brewer Fanatic

How do you treat your meat?(grilling)

logan82

I am planning on grilling every weekend this year and my repertoire is pretty limited. I was wondering if anybody had any good grill recipes, rubs, sauces, or marinades they would be willing to share. Anything about vegetables on the grill would also be greatly appreciated. I am pretty much limited to

Brats - boiled in beer and onions before going on the grill(I have heard boiling after is better)

Hamburgers - plain and mixed with dried onion soup

Steak - Mmmmm steak

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite burger recipes is as follows (all measurements estimates as I usually "eye it up")

2 lbs ground beef

1-2 tsp beef soup base

one-fourth cup (approx) bread crumbs

one-third lb bacon - fried but not too crispy, then diced into small pieces

1 tsp pepper

dash of chili powder

Just mix everything up and grill.

On occasion I'll also cut up slices of cheddar cheese and form the burgers around them.

For burgers, we use Tony Chaceri's seasoning, which we found at Wal-Mart in Wisconsin. For steaks, my mother-in-law had found this seasoning that a guy named Bill makes at a grocery store here in Texas. WOW!! When it comes to BBQ ribs, which we had Saturday night, my mother-in-law and wife take BBQ sauce you get at the grocery store and spice it up with worcestershire sauce, mustard and a few other things. There's some GREAT flavor to it. We had ribs Saturday night (on the grill) and steaks and fish Sunday night (on the grill). It's nice to live in a climate that you can use your grill year round.

Italian dressing is an easy marinade for chicken breasts. Put them on indirect heat for 12 minutes on each side, and then a minute and a half on direct heat on each side to finish. Resist the urge to eat a rare, pink chicken.

I started using a Greek seasoning mix on burgers, usually about a half teaspoon per pound with a dash or two of onion salt. Occasionally I'll mix in some minced bacon or a little bit of chili sauce. It just depends on the quality of the beef that you can find. Here in northeast Iowa, the best ground beef comes directly from your feedlot and you don't need to season it much. I use a bottled marinade for steaks, but some olive oil, minced garlic, crushed black pepper, and thyme will also work.

Grilled corn is great. Buy it fresh and soak the ears in water in the husks. Grill the ears on direct heat about 2 minutes per quarter turn. Some of the kernels will get a little brown, but that is one of my summer favorites.

Take 2 pork loins.

Marinade overnight in 1 cup Coca-Cola and 1/2 cup of Soy Sauce, feel free to add other things like crushed garlic, black pepper, etc

Seer the loins over direct heat for a few min on all sides, then put over indirect heat for about 45 min, Grill with the lid ON, you don't cook with your oven door open do you? Use a meat thermometer do make sure it gets to the proper temp, 155 for pork? Double check what the temp needs to get too.

Let the loins rest for 10 min before enjoying its total awesomeness

Brats---I simmer them (not boil) in beer, onions and some garlic until the skins are gray, then grill.

Burgers---Just a little Lowry's, that's all I need

Chicken---I've tried a lot of things. BBQ sauce, I've made up a nice lime marinade, simply grilling as-is, black pepper, etc...

Steak---normally do as-is. Steak is one of those things that is so good on its own, it doesn't need a marinade.

Pork chops---a personal favorite of mine in the summer. I have my parents get them when they go down to Iowa. Iowa chops are huge, and so good when cooked properly. A good marinade for chops is brown sugar and soy sauce.

Shrimp---lemon juice and pepper.

I am going to embark on ribs this summer. It sucks not having your own full-sized grill and being forced to either use my Smoky Joe or the apartment's grill.

Things tp try:

Turkey---Cheap and if you have a grill with decent temperature control fairly easy. The secret of course is to brine the bird for a good 24 hours

Pork Tenderloin--tends to be the cheapest at Sam's club in cyrovac. A simple terryaki marinade or a simple spice rub will do wonders. You do have to be attentive here and keep turning it to avoid too much charring.

Center Loin Pork chops--more like a cutlet, but oh well. On sale at Sentry this week, they are basically just slices of a pork loin roast. They are have about the same amount of fat as boneless skinless chicken breasts but in an easier shape to grill. And since they are pork, you basically can flavor them in any variety of ways and they'll be great. Really nice thing if you want to grill something fast.

Italian sausage-make sure the grill is indirect or really low depending on your set up

Asparagus grilled is really good with just salt and pepper. Peppers and tomatoes on skewers work nicely

I'd avoid bone-in chicken breasts. Just a bear (for me at least) to grill to keep them from burning and sticking. Same with wings.

Use a very hot grill to sear the meat. You'll end up with a thin crust on the outside, and then when you cut it, a medium rare piece of meat will expand out.

I typically stab the meat in several places to insert sliced garlic cloves.

Then I spread a little olive oil on the whole steak, and coat one side with oregano and basil, the other side with dried granulated onions and garlic, and then roll the steak in kosher salt around the edge.

I've found that Penzey's is a fine place for spices, herbs and blends.

I marinade with worchestire sauce, mustard, and some standard BBQ sauce, not a whole lot of each. Marinade overnight, 48 hours is even better. I then sprinkle with Al's rub, which is really just garlic powder, rotissiere chicken seasoning, and a few of my other favorites in a spice jar. Works good on burgers, steak, chicken, whatever. I'm off red meat for the most part now, but I did enjoy a steak Saturday. As for chicken, we have used catalina, italian, and ranch dressings, and they all add a lot of zip id use let it work in for 48 hours.

I grilled wings all summer, I use sugar-free BBQ sauce to keep 'em from burning too much, just a blackened wing is what I prefer. Just keep brushing them with sauce, from the minute they go on to the minute they come off.

I've been on a real burger kick lately. I don't really do anything that hasn't been said, but when I make mine, I use Lawry's and black pepper to season the meat. When it's done, I top it with monterey jack cheese. As the cheese melts, I top it with jalapeno peppers. That's my monterey pepper burger.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

If I'm going to spend a goodly amount of time making some good eats out of meat, I'll usually use the smoker I made out of a 55 gallon drum. I like BBQ 'd pork or beef but I'll also smoke some salom. If you are in the Milwaukee area and wanna learn how to smoke ribs, pork shoulder, etc., lemmie know.

This summer, I will post some pics of my smoker and a good meal that comes out of it.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Burgers:

Fry up some bacon, chop it up into small pieces, put it right in the patty's. Then, cover the patty's with fresh black pepper. Delicious burger with a bit of kick.

Chicken Breasts: I toss 'em in a plastic bag, along with a bit of wing sauce and black pepper, shake it up good (I suppose, some call this marinading) and toss 'em on the grill. Great with lettuce and mayo on a bun.

Hot Dogs: Go to a meat deli and see if they have real deli style hotdogs. Seriously. Big as a brat and these things are great. I find them at Pick 'n Save in Milwaukee on Holt Ave.

Vegtables: Skewers are your friend. Can grill tomatoes, peppers, radishes and most anything else. Just use low heat (maybe even top-up on the grill), and/or turn frequently.

Got more I could come up with, but, now I'm hungry and need to find some food.

PS: Jamie, I want to see this smoker!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

jordanmuehl wrote:

I always boil them in beer and onions after I grill them. They always turn out excellently.

For me it comes down to convenience. I usually end up grilling at the park so the grill is the last stop before eating. Also boiling after I would have to grill twice since I usually have to grill hot dogs and/or burgers as well. I want to try boiling last someday though.

I have to say that this thread is turning out much better than I hoped. I already have several ideas that I am going to try.

For hot dogs I prefer the Klememnts Chicago style dogs. I like them better than the dogs at Miller Park.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Use a very hot grill to sear the meat. You'll end up with a thin crust on the outside, and then when you cut it, a medium rare piece of meat will expand out.

That's the key to a good steak. Put one on a grill that's not hot enough and you'll likely end up with an overcooked steak by the time you get the char on the steak. Another key IMO is often the steak you'll find at the grocery store just doesn't taste as good as you'll find at the butcher.

Sure the butcher will be more pricey, but for me at least, if i'm going to cook up say a porterhouse, i'd rather pay an extra few bucks to have a high quality cut of meat. Even better is i live right by a butcher and they have a very tasty steak seasoning that i have them put on when i buy a few steaks. In fact about a month ago Pick N Save had a sale on steak so i bought two porterhouses, one for me and my daughter. They tasted decent, but there was a noticeable difference in them between what i get from the butcher. That's why when porterhouses were on sale again last week at Pick N Save, i just passed on buying any.

My suggestion is to get a good BBQ cookbook and go for the gusto. I grill as much as I can year round and I really enjoy trying out new recipes. I love yogurt marinated chicken. Drain plain yogurt in a lined strainer, mix in some garlic, lemon juice and oregano, marinate for a few hours, grill like any other piece of chicken. The yogurt makes a delicious crust and the acids in it make the chicken really moist and tender. You can also mix in curry or whatever. The sky's the limit.

I'm a big fan of using a simple montreal steak seasoning. It brings out a good flavor with the steak.

Buy a salmon fillet (Skin on). All of the bones should be out of it when you buy it. In a bowl melt butter and add any type of cajun seasoning. Spray your grill with some PAM to make a light coating. Start your grill and let it warm up to around medium, then place the salmon fillet skin down on the grill. Drizzle the butter/cajun seasoning on top of the fillet throughout the grilling process. You will know it is done when the thickest part of the fillet flakes. When it is done just insert a spatula between the skin and the meat and place on a plate.

I never thought i would like this but my brother inlaw made this for me and man is it good. Now most of the salmon i catch in Lake Superior go straight to the grill.

I've been on a real burger kick lately. I don't really do anything that hasn't been said, but when I make mine, I use Lawry's and black pepper to season the meat. When it's done, I top it with monterey jack cheese. As the cheese melts, I top it with jalapeno peppers. That's my monterey pepper burger.

That sounds like a very tasty burger. I will have to try that out this summer.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

For chicken, a good quick marinade is white wine, soy sauce and sesame oil...has a very good asian flavor. I only use Lowry's on my burgers, and salt and pepper on my steaks. I am in the camp that prefers the better cuts of meat, although there is a time and a place for the tougher cuts. For brats, I boil first, then grill...I hadn't actually heard of the other way, may give it a shot. We need to get a new grill this summer, and we are pretty sure we are abandoning the convenience of propane for the flavor of charcoal. This will mean less short notice grilling, but we prefer the results the old fashioned way!

Archived