Brewer Fanatic

Corey Hart 30/30?

PlayerHader

hart will be a 25/25 guy this year.

his stats could be more impressive except for the fact that he is so versatile, and the brewers may need this. i also like him as my favorite brewer because he was always the 'odd guy out' when talking about the young upcoming players--jj,weeks,prince--especially since he was such a stud in the minors.

BOLD PREDICTION. corey hart will be the best player the brewers have had since yount/molitor.

Everyone is mainly just focusing on stealing bases from guys on the Brewers, but another very great aspect of the team speed is taking extra bases. There are no really slow players on the roster that figure to play a lot, even Prince moves well for a man his size.

That should mean being able to get extra bases outside of stealing compared to other teams without much speed that really can't be put into a stat. The ability to go from first to third on singles, score from second on base hits instead of having to hold on third, score from first on a double, and/or being able to tag up where a slower base runner might have to stay put.

This is a very athletic and fast baseball team, especially given all the power in the lineup.

I looked at splits for every team last year. No team got 30 SB out of ANY position in the order except for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Only 4 teams got 30 SB out of 2nd in order and 2 teams got 30 SB out of 3rd in the order. Unless Hart bats 2nd (or first), I'd say his chance at 30 steals is very low.

David Wright had more total AB's in the 4th and 5th spots (322) than he did in the 2nd and 3rd spots (282) and stole more bases (18) in those spots than he did in the other two (16).

Hart did run a bit more when he led off, but still had 9 steals combined in the 5th, 6th, and 7th spots, in 62 games, which over 162 translates to 23.5. So it's not that big a stretch to get to 30.

I think Fondy hits the nail on the head. The Brewers stealing bases is a fool's game. We don't make enough contact; I don't think we take enough pitches, and when we do hit the ball it's so dang hard that a guy with decent speed is going to score from 1st on a double anyways. If Yost gets enamored of the steal this year I think he'll run us out of a lot of innings.

Of course the exception is Rickie--run Rickie run!

Archived