Brewer Fanatic

Who do you most want to succeed (bounce back) in 2008?

Menotti80

I started thinking about this while reading the article about Turnbow on brewers.com this morning. After reading that article, I really hope he bounces back this year and has a monster year. Sometimes I look back and think Turnbow was treated a bit unfairly by Brewer fans, and some of the blame for his inconsistancies last year should fall on the shoulders of the coaching staff (look at his splits with 0, 1, and 2+ days rest)

So this is a 2-part question: Who do you want to bounce back and have a great year this year, both sentimentally and for the biggest impact on the Brewers in '08???

My 5 candidates:
Turnbow
Sheets
Bill Hall
Cappy

For me, Sheets "bouncing back" (AKA staying healthy) is the biggest key to the Brewers success, and I personally want Turnbow to have a heck of a year and give Brewer fans confidence in him once again.

What say you?

EDIT: One question mark in the title suffices - b19

Sentimentally: Bill Hall. It has become an impulse for me to get excited at the mere mention of his name, and that was really not appropriate last year.

Otherwise: Ben Sheets. If we see 2004-style Ben Sheets this year, this team will rock my life.

My Top 5 Candidates (in order of importance)

1. Defense

2. Billy Hall

3. Guillermo Mota

4. Dave Bush

5. Gagne and Turnbow

Yes Ben Sheets, a healthy Ben Sheets, is the biggest key to a Brewers team contending for a World Series this year, but I am going to throw his name out of the disscusion in my bounceback players. His problems are stricktly, IMO, health related, and not him needing to improve anything but his conditioning. If you want to have a hope they don't get hurt list then Sheets is 1, weeks is 2, and Gallardo is 3.

The Defense isn't a true BounceBack candidate but it is "who" I most want to succeed. An improved infield defense should improve the stats for all pitchers. The Brewers chances are dependent on the ability of the infield to "gel" and play at least average defense. How will Bill Hall readjust to 3rd base? Will Rickie Weeks show us that he can and should be a 2nd baseman for years to come?

Guillermo Mota having a good year would probably give the Brewers one of the best bullpens in the NL.

Gagne and Turnbow I would like to see have dominant years just for the simple fact that then they would probably be type A free agents, netting the Brewers and Jack Zdnerick extra picks.

If Weeks can finally live up to his potential and continue to do what he did at the end of last season (.442 OBP, .553 SLG after Aug. 10th), we could easily have one of the most dominant offenses in the league.

Or if Sheets stays healthy for the entire year and reverts to his form circa 2004 (or 2006; 116K, 11 BB), we'll likely have a disgustingly good rotation.

I really want Gagne to come through for us and have a big year. I do think that Weeks or Sheets is most important to have big years. I also have a soft spot for Turnbow, even though he makes me nervous all the time, I love to see him succeed.

Since I don't think Weeks will be 'bouncing back' - technically - I'll vote Sheets, then Hall, then Gagne... obv. in that order. That is, those are the guys whose 'bounce-back' I feel will be most important to the team's overall success.

Just on a 'I hope he bounces back' in terms of rooting for one particular guy, I'd vote Hall. I also happen to think that a healthy 2008 will be disastrous for P facing Hall. 25-ish HR for Hall is a no-brainer, given a full & healthy season.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Bill Hall. Having a productive Hall would be a great asset to an already offensively intimidating team.

I doubt it will happen, but Jason Kendall rebounding from his poor year last year would have a nice impact on the team.

Capuano rebounding would be helpful as well.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

"Kendall. I'd rather C was not a complete black hole offensively. Even a .340 OBP would make me happy enough with him. Plus it would shut up the Cub fans who talk so much smack about how bad he is."

Ender, I couldn't agree with you more. Kendell had Lasix eye surgery this offseason, and it was reported that he's said that he's seeing like an 18 year old. With that said, I have a feeling a lot of Cubs fans are going to be feeling quite small this year. (hopefully his right shoulder feels like 18 as well)

Other than Kendell, my vote is going to be Cappy. He's rehab'd nicely after his off season surgery and prime for a big "shut the hell up critics" year. He's gotta be in the 5 SP's to start the year IMO. I actually think that Cappy might win the Comeback Player of the Year award come October.

I would really like to see Hall top 25 homers and say 85 RBI. Not only because I like him but because of how much it would help the team if he posted 2006 type numbers again. A return to form by Cappy and Sheets would be nice as well.

Archived