Brewer Fanatic

Articles on Wise, Jenkins, and Crabbe -- Latest: Crabbe reacquired; assigned to Nashville (reply #20)

Mass Haas
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm all for a Rickie Weeks trade to bring up Crabbe. I think there are positives and the negatives are much drop offs. Considering we could get something decent in return, I'm all for this move.

Honestly is Crabbe any worse than say, Craig Counsell? SD really didn't give him a shot. 34 ABs?. Counsell has 6 hits in his last 35 ABs, same number as Crabbe had in 34.

Crabbe has chance to be utility guy next year at savings of $2.5 million or so.

Again, Callix is a minor league 2B, who has never shown he can play SS or 3B, any better than say, Jeff Cirillo played SS, for example. His minor league totals compare to Counsell's career line in the bigs (.369/.384). I just don't see him as anything other than minor league depth. Seriously, every organization has a Crabbe or two at AAA. His only quality year in the minors was in the hitter friendly PCL.

He's pretty much the epitome of a guy unlikely to spend much time in the big leagues.

Again, Callix is a minor league 2B, who has never shown he can play SS or 3B, any better than say, Jeff Cirillo played SS, for example. His minor league totals compare to Counsell's career line in the bigs (.369/.384). I just don't see him as anything other than minor league depth. Seriously, every organization has a Crabbe or two at AAA. His only quality year in the minors was in the hitter friendly PCL.

He's pretty much the epitome of a guy unlikely to spend much time in the big leagues.

If you look a little more objectively than two stats, I think you'll like his BB/K ratio compared to Weeks, plus his better defense. I'm looking at Crabbe taking over for Weeks, not Counsell's bench spot.

Crabbe and Weeks simply cannot be compared. Take a gander at Rickie's AAA stats and weep.

Am I weeping over the over 1:4 K:AB ratio, or is it the .962 fielding percentage? That doesn't impress me. And nothing has changed at the major league level. Oh wait, yes it has. The K rate is even higher, the batting average is lower than his body weight, and the fielding hasn't really improved so much as to turn a simple double play once in a while. Stop kidding yourself here and stop being so enamored with Rickie Weeks AAA stats of which he played for fifty-five games. I personally find Callix Crabbe's stats to be quite serviceable .287/.377/.435 with nearly more walks than strikeouts, and oh yeah, a .992 fielding percentage. Arguing that Weeks is light years ahead of Crabbe is very very untrue and quite frankly laughable. Give Crabbe all the AB's and major league playing time that Weeks has had and I'm pretty confident in saying he (Crabbe) won't be hitting below the Mendoza line, booting balls into right field, pulling JJ of the bag with errant throws and swinging at curveballs in the dirt like my 5yr old hacks at her titliest ball in the backyard.

Another error by Weeks again, tying run ends up scoring for Boston. Not to mention the pop-out to catcher to kill that rally in the 6th. But hey, got to love those 55 games in AAA. Somebody get the HOF on the horn and get that bust ready.

Another error by Weeks again, tying run ends up scoring for Boston. Not to mention the pop-out to catcher to kill that rally in the 6th. But hey, got to love those 55 games in AAA. Somebody get the HOF on the horn and get that bust ready.

You forget the two run single that he hit to get the team back in the game.

Fielding percentage doesn't tell you anything about a player's ability to get to balls, only that they field the balls they get to. It's not a good way to value a player's defense.

range has never been weeks strong suit either, in spite of his speed. weeks clearly has higher "upside" than crabbe, but weeks hasn't come close to his upside this season. At what point do you take the guy with less potential, but who performs closer to his potential?

range has never been weeks strong suit either, in spite of his speed.

I wasn't arguing that Weeks has range, I was saying that FP doesn't tell us how good a defender Crabbe is.

Weeks isn't going to continue to have such an awful batting average, so we shouldn't weigh Crabbe's potential against what Weeks is doing now. I think it's too early to give up on Weeks, this is still only his age 25 season. Weeks will get better, it's just frustrating to wait for him to do so.

Again, who cares about either. Get Iribarren up ASAP.

Hernan doesn't project to be better than Weeks with the bat, and most of the games this year have been in the OF. I don't think that move is likely.

Fielding percentage doesn't tell you anything about a player's ability to get to balls, only that they field the balls they get to. It's not a good way to value a player's defense.

LOL, would you rather I just post the amount of errors on balls that he does get to? Or does that have no value either?

LOL, would you rather I just post the amount of errors on balls that he does get to? Or does that have no value either?

That wouldn't have much value, no, because it doesn't tell you how many plays he is making compared to other players at his position, compared to the type of pitchers on the mound, the handedness of the batters, etc. Zone Rating is probably the best readily available fielding statistic, but I'm not sure that's available for minor leaguers. For minor leaguers, you probably have to rely on scouting reports, and glimpses that you see during Spring Training.

That wouldn't have much value, no, because it doesn't tell you how many plays he is making compared to other players at his position, compared to the type of pitchers on the mound, the handedness of the batters, etc. Zone Rating is probably the best readily available fielding statistic, but I'm not sure that's available for minor leaguers. For minor leaguers, you probably have to rely on scouting reports, and glimpses that you see during Spring Training.

ok, but what you are missing is that weeks commits a lot of errors while SIMULTANEOUSLY not getting to a lot of balls, relative to other players at his position. There is no justification that weeks is even an average fielder, he is not.

Archived