Brewer Fanatic

Articles on Wise, Jenkins, and Crabbe -- Latest: Crabbe reacquired; assigned to Nashville (reply #20)

Mass Haas

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just looking at box scores today and saw Crabbe went 1-2 while playing SS...So i'll ask the same question Wood did...Why didn't the Brewers consider Crabbe to be able to play 3b and SS? and if they did, why not protect him? IIRC there was room on the 40 man at the time or at worst Drew Anderson, who was still on it, could have been sent down and the Brewers wouldnt have needed to sign Gabe Kapler... Also Thatcher had a pretty rough day today.

Just looking at box scores today and saw Crabbe went 1-2 while playing SS...So i'll ask the same question Wood did...Why didn't the Brewers consider Crabbe to be able to play 3b and SS? and if they did, why not protect him? IIRC there was room on the 40 man at the time or at worst Drew Anderson, who was still on it, could have been sent down and the Brewers wouldnt have needed to sign Gabe Kapler... Also Thatcher had a pretty rough day today.

I'll admit my comments come mainly from the numbers, but I was kinda looking forward to seeing Crabbe up next year as a cheap utility player for the Brewers.

I've said as others have said, that one of the things our farm system now appears set to provide is an abundance of role player types. Guys like Crabbe who may not be starts, but can save you that 3 million you're paying Counsell, or Pena who may or may not be(I'm hoping he will) a closer, but at least could/should be a viable pen arm for very cheap for a couple years(much to the dismay of our resident agenthttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif).

But I'm just not sure why you'd let this kid go when you have about 5 other guys not likely to contribute as much in the near future or the long term future?

• 2 months later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rotoworld:

Padres designated infielder Callix Crabbe for assignment.

Crabbe hit .176/.282/.206 in 34 at-bats for the Padres. The Brewers will have the option of taking the Rule-5 pick back if he clears waivers, but they might just give him to the Padres for a minor prospect. He's not part of their future plans, and they were pretty happy to see him get an opportunity elsewhere when he was selected in December.

RW is likely correct. Crabbe is a poor man's Hernan. Little guys that cannot play all IF positions very rarely have a big league future.

I'd say Crabbe is a middle class man's Iribarren. Their performance records are so similar it's kind of eerie. Which of the two you prefer comes down to whether you're an AVG guy or a BB/K ratio guy. I tend to lean toward the latter (especially in prospects), so I have an ever-so-slight preference for Crabbe. But Iribarren does make Crabbe redundant, so it's not going to break my heart if the Brewers opt to let him go for a marginal prospect.

I hope that if they decide to let SD hang onto him that the targeted prospect in exchange would be a near-ready RP arm. No world-beater, but Melvin has sold me on the 'gather bullpen arms & see what sticks' approach from the 2007 offseason.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd say Crabbe is a middle class man's Iribarren. Their performance records are so similar it's kind of eerie. Which of the two you prefer comes down to whether you're an AVG guy or a BB/K ratio guy. I tend to lean toward the latter (especially in prospects), so I have an ever-so-slight preference for Crabbe. But Iribarren does make Crabbe redundant, so it's not going to break my heart if the Brewers opt to let him go for a marginal prospect.

Iribarren has a great deal more power potential. Now Iribarren isn't showing it this year yet, so that is somewhat worrisome but likely he's just adjusting.

well, nunez is basically counsell's backup in case of an injury because he can play all infield positions well. That has value, but not much. He'd be a lot better choice than bringing up Chavez.

I like Crabbe, but he's probably not going to have a career OPS in the majors much north of .700, so...meh.

I do like the crabbe + gwynn for Maddux idea. maybe throw in Weaver.

Counsell is still well above what Crabbe could ever be, based on his ability to play 2B, SS, and 3B very well, and a decent career OPS for an IF reserve. Callix is a longshot to ever have a fraction of Craig's career.

A player can remain designated for assignment for ten days while his team decides what to do. The player is paid and accumulates service time during that span, but doesn't count toward either the 25 or 40-man roster.

In Crabbe's case, he can be traded to another team as long as that team keeps him on its 25-man roster. As soon as a team attempts to send him to the minors, he will be offered back to the Brewers at half of the Rule 5 price.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Thanks Casey. Too bad he essentially can't play for ten days, but I guess this is kind of a common thing. It just seems a little wrong to make a guy wait ten days before he can play (likely longer for travel purposes) but again I realize this is somewhat commonplace in baseball.

Archived