Brewer Fanatic

"Marlins creating all-male, plus-size cheer squad"

RU Rah Rah

Alas, we appear to have missed the try-outs. From the AP:

"The Florida Marlins are looking for some footloose fat men. The National League team is creating an all-male, plus-size cheerleading squad to be dubbed the Manatees. Tryouts were scheduled for Sunday. The team hopes to recruit seven to 10 tubby men to dance, cheer and jiggle during Friday and Saturday home games this season."

Don't the Marlins already have a "Mermaids" group of cheerleaders? My guess is that this is kind of to parody that.

Still, couldn't they just focus on making their baseball team better? This is the kind of stuff the Brewers were doing in the late '90s.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Invader3K wrote:

Still, couldn't they just focus on making their baseball team better? This is the kind of stuff the Brewers were doing in the late '90s.

Good point. That's exactly how I feel about the Sausage Race. It's so pointless. It's just makes me annoyed that an institution would waste resources on a frivilous idea when success has been so illusive.

i'm all for this. i imagine i'm in the minority.

at the phx suns games, we get the dancing dads, golden grannies - to go along with the suns dancers & adio sol patrol. and the t-shirt toss. i do remember the 80s when there were moments in sports events not dominated by sponsors but that was 20 years ago.

You apparently assume that somehow the marketing folks should be doing GM duties. It's not like Michael Hill is sitting in his office all day thinking up lame promotional ideas.

You apparently assume that somehow the marketing folks should be doing GM duties. It's not like Michael Hill is sitting in his office all day thinking up lame promotional ideas.

No, but it's still a portion of the overall budget that could be going to baseball operations, instead of something like this.

I suppose though, that something like this isn't going to cost a team a lot overall, but still...
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Invader3K wrote:

Good point. That's exactly how I feel about the Sausage Race. It's so pointless. It's just makes me annoyed that an institution would waste resources on a frivilous idea when success has been so illusive.

I'm struggling to see how the Sausage Race wastes resources. If Klement's provides the costumes, it costs roughly zero dollars.

Invader3K wrote:

I'm struggling to see how the Sausage Race wastes resources. If Klement's provides the costumes, it costs roughly zero dollars.

If someone thinks the Sausauges are waste, they've never been to the pro shop. You can buy Hats, t-shirts, key chains, bobble's, dolls, you name it. I'm not saying you or I would buy that stuff, but somebuddy is, and the Brewers are laughing all the way to the bank. There is something to be had about a team "representative" who will never retire, hold out, or be traded.

------

If someone thinks the Sausauges are waste, they've never been to the pro shop. You can buy Hats, t-shirts, key chains, bobble's, dolls, you name it. I'm not saying you or I would buy that stuff, but somebuddy is, and the Brewers are laughing all the way to the bank. There is something to be had about a team "representative" who will never retire, hold out, or be traded.

------

Shame on those fans who want to support their team!

i can remember when disney bought the california angels in the 90s and they added cheerleaders. it seemed like such an idiotic idea and lampooned by the media. i remember uecker saying on the radio there was no place in baseball for it. iirc, the angels shelved it and dont currently have a cheer squad. but now it seems that at least half the MLB teams have cheerleaders / dancers / enthusiastic hired teenagers to entertain. in phoenix, the diamondbacks have the "rallybacks". unofficially a side-job for ASU sigma phi sorority. (g-d bless coeds) from what i've observed from a distance, it seems the brewers diamond dancers have evolved a bit from its inception. clearly over the decades, MLB has evolved.

on an unrelated note, i can tell you with my arizona cardinals tickets, if they ever take away the booted, big breasted, big haired pom pom girls away from me. good night season tickets.

Archived