Brewer Fanatic

Dusty Baker is back at it (Latest: Patterson leading off?... reply #63)

Baldkin
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you talk enough, eventually you are going to say something stupid, even if you are smart. Dusty says more stupid things than any smart guy I know. Thus, I suspect he might not be that smart.

Hmmmmm maybe because Freel has been ill. Might as well call Yost an idiot for batting the pitcher 8th in the lineup. Oh better yet, its a 162 game season and maybe we should let things play out before blasting coaches like their idiots. Or better yet, why don't you apply for the cincinnati job since you know so much more than Dusty. I believe Dusty was watching his team during spring training and Patterson was the best option when Freel is not in the lineup.

Hmmmmm maybe because Freel has been ill. Might as well call Yost an idiot for batting the pitcher 8th in the lineup. Oh better yet, its a 162 game season and maybe we should let things play out before blasting coaches like their idiots. Or better yet, why don't you apply for the cincinnati job since you know so much more than Dusty. I believe Dusty was watching his team during spring training and Patterson was the best option when Freel is not in the lineup.

1. Several people do think that Yost is an idiot for batting the pitcher 8th, but as was already said, there are statistical reasons for doing so.

2. It is a 162 game season and, in my opinion, Corey Patterson should lead off 0 of them.

3. I wouldn't get hired over Dusty because Dusty was successful during a different time of baseball, a time when all managers thought the CF should be a speed demon and lead-off hitter. Because he was successful during that time, he has "experience".

4. I also believe Dusty was watching his team during spring training, but I disagree that Patterson was the best option outside of Freel. Statistics back-up my feelings. What backs up yours?

Regardless of the Patterson stuff, the guy is still sticking behind his "clogging up the bases" claim. I just can't put any faith in a manager that thinks its a bad thing to have guys on base, regardless of how slow they might be.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Bruce struggled in ST (heck, Votto has barely shown he's ready) and Stubbs isn't ready yet either. Sounds like Dusty was just smitten with Patterson and that's why they signed him in ST (that and low risk, high reward). There has been talk of the Reds trying to trade Freel, though his value is down in comparison to what it was last year. I do think Hopper would still be a better option than Patterson though. I honestly don't think Patterson is a bad move on the roster for Dusty and the Reds right now. If by some miracle, he does start to realize SOME of his potential, the Reds are even scarier. If Bruce starts raking by mid-season and Patterson hasn't done anything, then I think that'd be the logical move to dump Patterson. But then again, this is Dusty we're talking about.

Don't forget, Dusty ruined Patterson's potential as a Cub... I do blame Dusty for not developing Corey into a better player.
Maybe he is trying to make it up to Patterson by showcasing his talent.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

For stat geaks our there, there was a great book that came out a year or so ago called Baseball Between the Numbers; written by baseball Prospectus. In the book they pretty much conclude that in '05, Patterson had the overall worst offensive season in the modern era of baseball. In 451 AB, he had 34 BB with an amazing .254 OBP!! That same year, Brian Giles had 119 BB in 545 AB. In his carrer, Corey Patterson has 153 BB in 3108 AB.

The idea of a player with a lifetime .297 OBP batting lead off is as silly as a bowlyer trying to roll 300 with a square shaped bowling ball.

Archived