Brewer Fanatic

Is there any chance of Sheets in a Brewer uniform beyond '08? (Merged with Lose Lose Situation)

adambr2

I don't think it looks good right now.

Doesn't it seem like we're in a real Catch-22? If Sheets pitches up to his ability and stays healthy, he's going to get a big deal in free agency. I don't think there's any way around that. If he doesn't, and makes 15 starts this season, do we really want to count on him for the rotation beyond '08 anyway?

Sure, we could offer him another deal with an injury discount, but we're taking a big risk doing so with a closing window of opportunity to win with our young core here.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a chance. The only chance was, as I suggested, by extending him this offseason and betting that he can stay healthy (and dominant). WE dont get the luxury of watching him in 2008 to see if we WANT to resign him. IF we want to resign him then that means he stayed healthy and had a good year...that also means he will sign somewhere for Zito money, and then some. Except, as Brett put it, Ben should be well worth it and not a complete waste of money like Zito is.

If he has an injury year I would expect some team to give him an AJ Burnett type deal, as Burnett couldnt stay healthy leading up to his contract either.

He'll either be dominant and someone will give him just a ton of money or he'll suck/be injured and we won't want him back at what he'll still cost.

The only way I see him back is if he's simply mediocre and signs a 1 year extension to build up FA value for 2010. Of course, that'd also probably mean the team would ave to be great and he thought we'd give him the visibility that'd help restore his value. I'd put the odds at 20:1.

If Oliver Perez is expecting $13-15 million per year when he hits free agency after this season, it's safe to assume that signing Sheets will cost a little more than that, in my opinion.

Is that REALLY what Perez is expecting? I hadn't seen that speculation and have a hard time believing it. Holy cow, things would be out of control if that happened!!

That figure is mostly just speculation right now, but he did just beat the Mets in arbitration and will be making $6.5 million this year. He's always had some pretty nasty stuff, which I think a lot of teams would overbid for, and he'll be 27 when he hits the open market..something that's rare with starting pitchers. Taking a look at what's left for next year's free agent class, the top three will probably be Sabathia (if he doesn't get something ironed out with the Tribe), Benny, and Perez.

He's always been a guy I kind of liked and wouldn't have minded if the Brewers were looking at him to replace Sheets in the rotation, but that price would be too steep to me. I'm sure someone will find a way to get him that kind of money, though...I wouldn't even be surprised if the Mets lock him up long-term if he starts the season out well.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

And it'll play out the same way (except Sheets won't be a colossal bust after signing his deal).

If Sheets isn't healthy, it won't be far off.

It is a tough spot for the Brewers AND for Sheets. I don't have anything against the guy. He seems like a guy that likes Milwaukee and loves to pitch. This is why he's the golden boy with most Brewers fans. That is fine. The problem I have is that he just can't be counted on plain and simple. Even if he starts every game this year and has an ERA of 3.5 and great stats his history shows that it's not a given he can take the mound every 5th day. Would we want Fielder or Braun if they'd miss this amount of games (on a percentage) that Sheets has missed? Whether he's injury prone or bad luck doesn't matter -- we can't afford to pay him what the market rate is with his health concerns.

I really hope Sheets has a great year, but I honestly don't think we are in a bad spot with him anymore. In the past Sheets would get hurt and we'd be in trouble. Now with Yo, CV, and Parra I have a really, really hard time believing Milwaukee will pay Sheets big money. I just hope he does well enough to earn a Type A free agent status and I will wish him the best of luck.

with the injury history of sheets, too many good young position players to pay, and good young arms being controlled for several years--no way the brewers sign him.

as for oliver perez--just wait until the year 2018.

(eliminated unnecessary quote --1992)

There is no way he's staying in Milwaukee.

Thanks for the heads up, now I won't even need to read the news or watch this site to see what happens.

It's too bad that he's gotta go. I do understand the reasoning, although I like the sort of character he is. Something tells me that he keeps people loose in the clubhouse even when he is on the DL. Granted the Brewers could pay someone much less than what Sheets is getting paid to do it, but I always liked who Sheets was. Why am I going past-tense all of a sudden? Oh that's right, because it's a foregone conclusion that his final year in Brew City is upon us. Or so it seems.

The timing of Sheets contract expiring when virtually their entire core will be entering arby years certainly does not bode well for being able to keep him and based on what they've gotten for 3/4 of this contract, that might not be a bad thing.

Who knows what they will do though. I never expected them to come into a camp with 11 pitchers making over $2 million (most over $3 million) or utility infielders for $3 million, so maybe there's more revenue than we've always been led to believe.

Thanks for the heads up, now I won't even need to read the news or watch this site to see what happens.
Man, you were in a pretty foul mood tonight.

Honestly, if Sheets pitches well - I think we have a pretty good chance of resigning him. Mark A has really made it a priority to pay for quality players and performances.

And given the young arms with the Red Sox, Dodgers, Yankees and Angels - I don't think any of those teams would jump in to drive up the price.

If we lose him, I think the sticking point will be years - not the money.

If he stays healthy and we make the playoffs I think he stays a Brewer. This is no longer a small market team and with a playoff appearance I'm not so sure it is just mid market for the short term at least. The money is there to sign him if the attendence goes up enough.

Ohh ennder, why do you give me hope like thaht. I think some team will break the bank and sign Sheets to a contract we just won't be willing to match. I aggree that if we make the playoffs and have a high attendance we will graduate into a larger to mid market team, but we still won't be the Dodgers, Yankees, or Red Sox. If Sheets stays healthy the entire year he will be one of, if not the hottest, free agent pitcher next year.

Sheets can be resigned if he is willing to leave some money on the table. I can easily see $15 million (Suppan plus Conusell's salaries) but not $18 million. Over likely five years, thats $15 million, so not exactly a small amount to leave sitting there. I see no way the Brewers go 6 years, and depending on the market that could happen.

Let me say that while I think we can re-sign Sheets if we go to the playoffs this year, I don't really want the team to do it. I don't think a huge long term deal for a starter is a good idea unless they have a flawless health record and very few pitchers have that.

If he stays healthy and we make the playoffs I think he stays a Brewer. This is no longer a small market team and with a playoff appearance I'm not so sure it is just mid market for the short term at least. The money is there to sign him if the attendence goes up enough.

How much more an the attendance go up though? I know it'll generate more revenue, but there comes a certain point and time that attendance isn't going to be enough. I really think it comes down to how many years Sheets will sign for. If it's possible we can get him for 2 or 3, I'd be more willing to go down that path. If it's a 5 or 6 year deal, I don't think the Brewers can consider that -- whether they're a small market or mid-sized market.

Right. Based on his history, you just can't commit to him for that much time. I'd say a 3 year deal would be the most I'd be comfortable with. Maybe four if there's some kind of discount involved.

Really though, I think he is probably going to be gone after this season. It's just hard to imagine a realistic scenario where he doesn't get some ridiculous offer from some other team.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Can't see Benny in a uni other than a big market team, or some team with a seriously low payroll. He's too much of a risk even if he excels this year. I think it'll follow Cordero scenario, close but no cigar. I'd even bet that length of contract is the determining factor. He's worth a 3 year deal--I'd guess 48 mil. I think he'll get a 4 year deal at 68. That's assuming he's not injured and has a good year. If something goes wrong with him those number will ratchet down considerably.

If Sheets can throw even 150 successful innings, his price will probably be too steep for the Crew (save a hometown discount). I can't think of one team in MLB that wouldn't be improved by adding Benny. BOS, NYY, NYM, ATL, PHI, LAD, LAA, man... this guy could end up anywhere.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived