Brewer Fanatic

The 2008 Brewers Bullpen

adambr2
Honest question: is velocity a solid indicator of how good a guy's stuff is at any given time? The reason I wonder is that, even though McClung throws every bit as hard as T-Bow, I'd never call Seth's stuff better than Derrick's. Just for the record, I agree with you ILDB that Gagne's lack of IP rather than anything stuff-wise was the most likely culprit of his rough go in Boston.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well, you can throw 103 MPH and it isn't going to do you squat if you can't get it to hit the strikezone. A secondary pitch also makes a fireballer's fastball that much more effective, as long as they don't rely on it too much. A fireballer who does nothing but throw gas (McClung) isn't hard to figure out.

Sometimes I feel those relievers rely on their secondary pitch a little too much, though. Was it just me, or did Cordero pretty much go slider, slider, slider, every time he got ahead 0-2 in the count in '07?

It is time to make a run for the World Series this year, and as such I think you need your best five in the rotation, regardless of options or any other factor.

Sheets

Gallardo

Parra

Suppan

Villy

I think Bush would be fine in the pen, knowing that would be his role every day he comes to the stadium. I think Vargas and Capuano start out the year in the pen as well. The goal would be to trade either or both. I really like Torres more than most, and I like the big arms of Mota, McClung, Turnbow in later innings. Riske and Gagne to close things out. Taht's not bad at all on paper. Even if Gagne fails as closer, there are options at least.

Did he? I thought I remember Linebrink mostly getting 7th inning duty last year or mopping up Turnbow's messes. I could be wrong, though.

The Plan was when Linebrink was brought in was to have him and Turnbow SHARE the setup role... that all went out the window when our consitant 7thinning guy matt Wise hit that reds player... and could not throw another strike.... Then that made Linebrink the 7th inning man and turnbow the 8thinning man and Coco the closer...which really killed the bullpen losing that extra Decent guy in the back end that could help out Turnbow when he gets all messed in the head...

Capuano makes more sense for the 'pen than Bush imo... simply due to Bush's well-documented struggles in his first IP of outings & pitching from the stretch.

I fell really good about Gagne, I think he will be back to Dodger form this season for us.

I think it's a much better bet to expect what he did in Texas... in a hitter's park, than it would be to forecast the WOAHs he had in Boston. I think the LAD Gagne is gone forever... lost amidst a pile of empty syringes, but who knows? Maybe nasty Gagne wasn't dependent upon PEDs... we'll find out, I guess.

I guess I shouldn't have said Dodger form. Hopefully somewhere between the dominance he was as a Dodger and how solid he was as a Ranger. He was awful as a Red Sox, anyone know how he went from 16 saves and a good ERA in Texas to just getting lit up in Boston?

According to Francona gagne came in and did not use his Change up at all like he did in Texas.... and that changeup when working is probably one of the best in the league... he just tried to throw fastballs by the hitters and got hit pretty hard....

It is time to make a run for the World Series this year, and as such I think you need your best five in the rotation, regardless of options or any other factor.

Sheets

Gallardo

Parra

Suppan

Villy

I think Bush would be fine in the pen, knowing that would be his role every day he comes to the stadium. I think Vargas and Capuano start out the year in the pen as well. The goal would be to trade either or both. I really like Torres more than most, and I like the big arms of Mota, McClung, Turnbow in later innings. Riske and Gagne to close things out. Taht's not bad at all on paper. Even if Gagne fails as closer, there are options at least.

Problem is you start off Parra and Villy in the rotation you cant use them when it matters most in Sept and October.... Villy pitched 122 innings last year... and got tired towards the end... for a young guy you want to raise his innings up only about 30-35 innings the next season(thats only 152-157 innings this year)...Parra's Innings pitched is even lower than that..plus his arm problems in the past... you use him to start the season you hit his max innings in August some time.... thats not good

Problem is you start off Parra and Villy in the rotation you cant use them when it matters most in Sept and October
Hopefully that is the plan. Very rarely do the five starters that come out of spring training actually make it all the way through.

While we're likely to have five starters and 7 bullpen spots coming out of spring training, we are also likely to use 3 more starters and another 5 or 6 bullpen arms during the course of the season. Considering depth and experience, we're in better shape with our top 15-20 pitchers than we have been since about 1992.

I can recall driving 3 and a half hours to watch the Brewers take on the Expos back in 2002. The pitching matchup was Rueben Quevado versus Bartolo Colon in his prime. The game was over in the first inning. I stayed around until the bitter end and I got to watch Vlad Guerrero hit a home run off of Mike DeJean that is still in orbit. At least the Cactus League nachos were excellent.

The franchise has come a long way since the low point of 2002, especially in its depth. The 1992 team was one of my favorites. Once Cal Eldred made the jump from AAA, the starters, aside from Ricky Bones, went deep into most games. The bullpen roles were well established, and guys like Darren Holmes and James Austin seemed to find themselves in positions where they were set up for success.

Hopefully something similar happens in 2008. If Capuano, Bush, and Suppan can give us six plus innings, the experience of the bullpen names should account for some wins. The key is whether Yost and Maddux figure out the roles for the bullpen arms, and put the right guy on the mound when the game is in the balance. We aren't trotting out Quevado and Takahito Nomura to the mound anymore.

According to Francona gagne came in and did not use his Change up at all like he did in Texas.... and that changeup when working is probably one of the best in the league... he just tried to throw fastballs by the hitters and got hit pretty hard....

Thanks for that tidbit, erbacaine. Hadn't heard that - at least we know Maddux & Co. will stress throwing that changeup. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Even if Gagne fails as closer

It's probably just because I have always been a huge Gagne fan even back to his Dodger days but failure is not an option. I hope we see Game Over Gagne again. Can't wait to hear "Welcome To The Jungle" blare through the MP sound system for the first time and see the goggles, hair and hat come through the bullpen door.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived