Brewer Fanatic

The 2008 Brewers Bullpen

adambr2

So, our 2008 bullpen has an entirely new look. A new look with some questions...first of all, who are we keeping? I'm going to assume we keep 7. I think you can pretty much pencil in Gagne, Riske, Torres, Turnbow, and Shouse, barring injury or a spring training disaster.

After trading for Mota's 3.2M salary, I can't see him not being in their plans. They could have just non-tendered Estrada and saved the 3.2M. Plus, Mota does have a decent arm and decent stuff. I think he's in.

So I think that leaves Choate, Bray, McClung, Stetter, Parra, and Spurling in AAA for depth. Vargas doesn't seem to fit into the equation anywhere, and I think Villanueva will probably start the season as the long man once again.

Another question -- is Turnbow still our setup man?

I'd prefer Riske being in that role -- and like to see Turnbow in a 7th inning, less pressure-packed role.

Gagne starts as closer, but other options are in place if he falters. Very good chance that the structure we see at the beginning of the season may see several changes as the season progresses.

As it stands now, I'll say:

CL - Gagne
SU - Riske, (Turnbow or Torres if Riske is overworked)
6th/7th - Mota, Torres, Turnbow
LOOGY - Shouse
Long Relief - Villanueva

I don't know how much of a "lock" Mota is to make the team. I seem to remember some comments from the Brewers that Mike Maddox was really intrigued by Mota late last year. Mota still had his velocity but needed to make some adjustments to make to his pitching motion. So if Maddux dosen't like what he see's out of Mota in spring training I would be the Brewers would dump him with out a second thought.

To tell you the truth, I'd be a little upset with managment if Mota doesn't make the team, because it would be pretty much like we wrote a check out to the Mets for $3.4M just for the fun of it. We could have non-tendered Estrada and payed nothing. The Mets did.

I mean, I know we're spending more money these days, but come on, that's a very foolish use of resources and payroll. The fans are spending a lot more money on the team to support that payroll. $3.4M just for a spring trainer flyer on an aging reliever? C'mon.

At the same time, I don't want them to just keep Mota around because of the money if there are definitely better options than him to pitch.

I still think one of Cappy, Bush, or Vargas will be traded, with Vargas being the most likely to go. In addition, Villy will probably at least start the year in the rotation until Gallardo is ready to go. I wouldn't mind Vargas being the long man, though- he could be made into a good reliever; he throws hard, works slow, and is effective at getting out of jams.

As far as Mota goes, I would be pretty disappointed if he was on the roster instead of Villy or Parra. If there's room for Villy and Mota, then it is a decent gamble that he would pitch effectively enough to justify the roster spot. Remember, Elmer Dessens was on the roster coming out of spring training last season.

I agree with you about the Riske/Turnbow situation, although unfortunately I think Turnbow will start the season as the eighth inning man.

In general, bullpens are volatile. The group of 7 that leaves spring training will not be the only seven that pitch from the pen all year.

Another question -- is Turnbow still our setup man?
I would think we aren't going to have a "setup man" per say this year.

Turnbow was fantastic at many points last year. But he can't pitch back to back days very well. He also wore out overall.

I have a feeling that Turnbow and Mota end up rotating as our set up man.

twobrewers wrote:

I would think we aren't going to have a "setup man" per say this year.

Maybe, Yost seemed to go with both Linebrink and Turnbow later in the year. That might be more to do with neither being very reliable more than anything else though. Though I disagree with the strategy behind set innings for relievers, I think Yost and the players involved like it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Did he? I thought I remember Linebrink mostly getting 7th inning duty last year or mopping up Turnbow's messes. I could be wrong, though.
I think so. I am going off of memory and don't have time to check right now. I also could be wrong.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

When everyone was available in August in September last year, Linebrink was the seventh inning man.

This spring the main thing to determine is whether Turnbow can handle the eighth. If he can, a Turnbow/Gagne combo would be pretty nice- and pretty intimidating too. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif That would allow Riske to be a seventh inning role like Villy had last summer, which would suit him best. Then Torres can fill in the sixth inning and gives Ned a pretty quality guy to throw out there when the Brewers are down a run or two late. Shouse is the LOOGY, and two (or maybe three) of Mota, Parra, McClung (?), Vargas, Stetter, and the loser of the last rotation spot round out the bullpen. That's definitely not a bad bullpen.

Four things:

I'm encouraged overall with the look of the bullpen, because while I believe there will be as many ups and downs as last year, those ups won't be as high and those downs won't be as low. I think this will enable the manager to predict performance more easily, and find the right man for the job.

Secondly, with so many inning eaters in the pen I think the work load can be more evenly distributed, cauing less strain on the staff overall.

And I'm guessing that the options at AAA are going to be better in case there's an injury or a flame out. Over the course of a long season I can't imagine were not going to dip down sometime.

Finally, my fondest wish is for Gagne to be kick-ass, All-Star, return to form, super dude. Any thing to make him a TYPE A free agent so that we can keep Jack well stocked with bullets.

I will say Capuano beats out Bush for the final rotation spot, and that Vargas in whatever capacity is not on the 25 man roster.

Rotation:

1. Sheets

2. Gallardo

3. Suppan

4. Villanueva

5. Capuano

Bullpen:

Bush

Mota

Torres

Riske

Shouse

Turnbow

Gagne

AAA:

McClung

Parra

Capuano makes more sense for the 'pen than Bush imo... simply due to Bush's well-documented struggles in his first IP of outings & pitching from the stretch.

I fell really good about Gagne, I think he will be back to Dodger form this season for us.

I think it's a much better bet to expect what he did in Texas... in a hitter's park, than it would be to forecast the WOAHs he had in Boston. I think the LAD Gagne is gone forever... lost amidst a pile of empty syringes, but who knows? Maybe nasty Gagne wasn't dependent upon PEDs... we'll find out, I guess.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He doesn't have any options left?

No, thats why I think we should keep him. He's a young arm that has a lot of upside, plus him hitting Albert was blown way out of proportion. He put up decent numbers last year, and I think he will surprise people in 08. I'm hoping Melvin and Yost decide to leave him a spot.

Capuano makes more sense for the 'pen than Bush imo... simply due to Bush's well-documented struggles in his first IP of outings & pitching from the stretch.

I fell really good about Gagne, I think he will be back to Dodger form this season for us.

I think it's a much better bet to expect what he did in Texas... in a hitter's park, than it would be to forecast the WOAHs he had in Boston. I think the LAD Gagne is gone forever... lost amidst a pile of empty syringes, but who knows? Maybe nasty Gagne wasn't dependent upon PEDs... we'll find out, I guess.

I guess I shouldn't have said Dodger form. Hopefully somewhere between the dominance he was as a Dodger and how solid he was as a Ranger. He was awful as a Red Sox, anyone know how he went from 16 saves and a good ERA in Texas to just getting lit up in Boston?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Hopefully somewhere between the dominance he was as a Dodger and how solid he was as a Ranger.

I couldn't agree more.

anyone know how he went from 16 saves and a good ERA in Texas to just getting lit up in Boston?

Small sample of 18 2/3 IP in Boston.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"anyone know how he went from 16 saves and a good ERA in Texas to just getting lit up in Boston? "

Being a closer and pitching in the inconsistent role Gagne did in Boston are very different. He also only threw 18 innings.

Leave it to the national media to blow it way out of proportion.

His velocity was the same in Boston as well, so it wasn't lack of stuff. Also, Turnbow was our most dominating relief pitcher last year, though he was also in the top 3 for most incosistent. If he is on, when he is on, he issues K's like he's got a box of Alpha-bits. Riske is good, but I think the 'Bow gets first crack at set-up, even with his recent comments regarding his stamina. And finally, while I am excited about the upcoming season's bullpen, I can't help but think this year's will be dictated by monetary concerns (options/salaries/arbitration clocks) instead of pure talent and ability to help the big-league club.

Archived