Brewer Fanatic

Extension coming for Ryan Braun?

B2k1121
This is a whole new level of player we are looking at. If ownership is going to base their extensions off of the history of subpar players in relation to Fielder and Braun, then we don't have much to look forward to as fans in my opinion.
You do realize that no one is advocating getting rid of either player right!?!?

The point is merely that long term contracts carry risk. Going year by year - you eliminate much of that risk.

This is a whole new level of player we are looking at. If ownership is going to base their extensions off of the history of subpar players in relation to Fielder and Braun, then we don't have much to look forward to as fans in my opinion.
You do realize that no one is advocating getting rid of either player right!?!?

Nowhere did I say to get rid of either player.

I agree that everything changes with Howard's arby award. In no time at all I can see that number doubling--maybe 3/4 years. So a small market team better lock up a guy like Braun and Fielder at an affordable 10 to 15 mil per season as opposed to the 20+ mil per in the last couple arby years. It'll also make the player probably be willing to give a small home team discount come free agency.

Fielder and Braun aren't free agents though. Historic or not there isn't a rush right now to get anything done.

From here on out, don't sign any one of the youngsters to a long term deal because nothing has worked out in the past.

I don't think anyone is pointing this out. I'm just pointing out the contracts come with risk and I'm not sold on inking these guys long-term before we have to. In a year or two I may not have a problem with it, but I just don't see the urgency right now -- especially with Sheets' situation not resolved.

The Brewers have been burned on such signings under Melvin. You have Helms, Clark, Turnbow, and Podsednik (though the trade really made that Chicago's problem). Now obviously this isn't the same level of player, but the monetary risk also goes up.

If I were GM, I'd have a ten-year $170 million offer on the table for Ryan Braun after his second full season ($20 million signing bonus, $15 million a year for ten years). That deal should be on the table tomorrow for Prince Fielder.

That said, I think for the Brewers to get Fielder to sign over the long term, the Crew will need to give a long-term deal to Rickie Weeks (10 years, $115 million - $15 million bonus, $10 million a year, with an offer to renegotiate after three years if he plays at least 140 games each year next year). I'd probably give Tony Gwynn Jr. an offer as well, (ten years, $30 million).

We need to see a little more out of Weeks before preparing him a 10 year deal for $11.5M a year. Not sure why we would want to commit $30M to TGJ who could be a career 4th outfielder unless we were certain he was the CF of the future. That would probably be the smallest 10 year deal in the modern MLB era anyway.

10 years $170M for Braun sounds reasonable after two full years sounds reasonable if you mean after '08 and '09 and he plays at an MVP level in those 2 years.

Prince I think is the least likely to be a Brewer long-term. Boras is one big reason, and just seeing the kind of money Howard is making might make Prince too costly in the future, especially if LaPorta can replace him.

I also think Prince is the most likely of the youngsters to decline earlier in his 30's.

We need to see a little more out of Weeks before preparing him a 10 year deal for $11.5M a year. Not sure why we would want to commit $30M to TGJ who could be a career 4th outfielder unless we were certain he was the CF of the future. That would probably be the smallest 10 year deal in the modern MLB era anyway.

10 years $170M for Braun sounds reasonable after two full years sounds reasonable if you mean after '08 and '09 and he plays at an MVP level in those 2 years.

Prince I think is the least likely to be a Brewer long-term. Boras is one big reason, and just seeing the kind of money Howard is making might make Prince too costly in the future, especially if LaPorta can replace him.

I also think Prince is the most likely of the youngsters to decline earlier in his 30's.

I might make the offer after 2008, and if Rickie comes in at a solid clip (.280 average, .400 OBP, 40 doubles, 20 homers, 40+ steals), I'll take the risk on a ten-year deal if it can lock Prince in.

A ten-year deal with Prince after 2008 would keep him with the Brewers through age 34. That was Cecil's last year. Prince has, IMHO, a better chance of longevity due to the fact he seems to be taking conditioning more seriously (including his new diet), and because he seems to have superior plate discipline. His "decline" at age 34 won't be as bad as his father's, I think. That's why I think a 10-year $170 million deal would be worth it. I find it hard to believe that Boras would turn down the chance to get Prince $65 million over his arby years, and another $105 million afterwards.

If the Crew can keep Braun, Hart, Hall, Hardy, Weeks, and Fielder together, they have a chance to dominate the NL Central for six to ten years. A sustained run of success would permit the Brewers to make enough to keep a strong farm system AND compete for free agents. Perhaps they could even have the kind of run the Braves had from 1991 to 2006.

Does anyone else find it weird that the best baseball player in our state (Prince) plays on a team named after a beverage that the best football player in our state no longer imbibes, while said football player plays for a team (Green Bay [Meat] Packers) named after an occupation related to a product stated baseball player no longer consumes? Just a thought... Onto an extention for Prince and Braun. Maybe I'm in the minority here but I would rather lock in Hart/JJ/Weeks with long term deals at set prices, and let Braun and Prince go year to year. Maybe you lose out on them when they hit free agency, but you have five years and four years, respectively. JJ, Weeks, and Hart will also come relatively cheaper right now, and also have more service time. And while I know Prince must feel slighted for the manner (right or wrong) in which his contract is renewed, he surely must understand that he has a coarse agent who (rightly or wrongly) works first for the player's (and by extention, his own) pocketbook. I think this year is going to go a long way in getting a few players some lucrative extentions, who, however, I don't know. My guess, Weeks and Hart, and perhaps Sheets.

As I said about Braun last year in the in-game chat...25 years, $500 million. Book it right now. By the time he gets to the end of the contract and is getting ready to break A-rod's all-time home run record, he'll be a bargain http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Is there any realistic way any of those players takes a 10 year deal? I would be shocked if Braun or Fielder would do that unless the figure was at least $200 million.

That said, I think for the Brewers to get Fielder to sign over the long term, the Crew will need to give a long-term deal to Rickie Weeks (10 years, $115 million - $15 million bonus, $10 million a year, with an offer to renegotiate after three years if he plays at least 140 games each year next year).

I don't believe there are signing bonuses in baseball -- I may be wrong. All that money would be guaranteed.

As I said about Braun last year in the in-game chat...25 years, $500 million. Book it right now. By the time he gets to the end of the contract and is getting ready to break A-rod's all-time home run record, he'll be a bargain http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

You don't see many of those 25 year contracts http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

There are signing bonuses in baseball. And also, in regards to the idea of a ten year contract with Rickie with a provision to renegotiate after three if he is un-injured, isn't that counterproductive? Basically what you're saying is that we'll pay him $115mil over ten years if he is injured, or allow him to fleece us if he finally lives up to his potential.

Archived