Brewer Fanatic

BPro on Will Inman

Ennder
Except of course he only did terrible if you judge ERA. He had 82 Ks in 80 innings of work in AA compared to 35 BBs as a 20 year old. Pitchers have to have a good deal of talent to K hitters that much. Yes he has some control issues but only those focused on ERA think he did terriblely.

This is more a general question than one specific to Inman but are all k's equal in the minors? I'd have to think pitching to guys who will chase the 3-2, 88mph fastball, 3" off the plate looks good on paper but in reality it's more telling how poor the hitter's stike zone judgement is than how good the pitcher is. He's a control pitcher with marginal stuff so I'd expect him to be able to strike out a lot of undisiplined, marginaly talented minor league hitters but struggle with the truely talented ones. I think looking at any one stat ging to give a pretty incomplete picture with that type of pitcher.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Except of course he only did terrible if you judge ERA. He had 82 Ks in 80 innings of work in AA compared to 35 BBs as a 20 year old. Pitchers have to have a good deal of talent to K hitters that much. Yes he has some control issues but only those focused on ERA think he did terriblely.

This is more a general question than one specific to Inman but are all k's equal in the minors? I'd have to think pitching to guys who will chase the 3-2, 88mph fastball, 3" off the plate looks good on paper but in reality it's more telling how poor the hitter's stike zone judgement is than how good the pitcher is. He's a control pitcher with marginal stuff so I'd expect him to be able to strike out a lot of undisiplined, marginaly talented minor league hitters but struggle with the truely talented ones. I think looking at any one stat ging to give a pretty incomplete picture with that type of pitcher.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I've often thought the same thing. I don't want to know any player's overall stats. I wanna know what he hits like against other three star or higher prospects or how he pitches against three star or higher prospects. The minors are littered with ineffectual players filling up rosters etc. Why would anyone take stats against these players for anything more than they are worth? Why would we weight them evenly?

I've often thought the same thing. I don't want to know any player's overall stats. I wanna know what he hits like against other three star or higher prospects or how he pitches against three star or higher prospects. The minors are littered with ineffectual players filling up rosters etc. Why would anyone take stats against these players for anything more than they are worth? Why would we weight them evenly?

AA is really where you start to see that sort of 'filler'/marginal talent really drop out imo, buc & Tbadder. 82 Ks in 80 IP at AA is nothing to sneeze at. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

AA is really where you start to see that sort of 'filler'/marginal talent really drop out imo, buc & Tbadder. 82 Ks in 80 IP at AA is nothing to sneeze at. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It also goes to show just how skewed we all tend to be when evaluating a team that we root for's prospects.
I don't disagree that this happens, but I disagree that it was the case with Inman. Baseball America had him in their Top 100 prospects in '07.

It sure happened on this site last year when Inman was included in the deal last year. You would have thought the Brewers gave up a pitcher that would be an ace for 15 years with the team.

It also goes to show just how skewed we all tend to be when evaluating a team that we root for's prospects.
I don't disagree that this happens, but I disagree that it was the case with Inman. Baseball America had him in their Top 100 prospects in '07.

It sure happened on this site last year when Inman was included in the deal last year. You would have thought the Brewers gave up a pitcher that would be an ace for 15 years with the team.

It sure happened on this site last year when Inman was included in the deal last year. You would have thought the Brewers gave up a pitcher that would be an ace for 15 years with the team

Actually, how I remember it is that there were a great number of disrespectful comments made towards those that follow the minor leagues by several individuals that could not name a Brewers minor league franchise.

It sure happened on this site last year when Inman was included in the deal last year. You would have thought the Brewers gave up a pitcher that would be an ace for 15 years with the team

Actually, how I remember it is that there were a great number of disrespectful comments made towards those that follow the minor leagues by several individuals that could not name a Brewers minor league franchise.

That's pretty much how I remember it, too. I'm sure if you pulled out the thread again, it would show that the majority of posters saw Inman as a #4 or #5 starter, the same that he's being projected right now. I think most people were just upset because we gave up 3 prospects for a relief pitcher rental, not as much that we lost our ace for the next 15 years.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

That's pretty much how I remember it, too. I'm sure if you pulled out the thread again, it would show that the majority of posters saw Inman as a #4 or #5 starter, the same that he's being projected right now. I think most people were just upset because we gave up 3 prospects for a relief pitcher rental, not as much that we lost our ace for the next 15 years.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived