Brewer Fanatic

Padres interested in Gabe Gross; maybe Tampa (Fox Sports speculation)

AJAY
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Yo will be back after a short time. But have to remeber that Brittle Ben is still on the staff, Parra has yet to prove he can go a full season, and Vill has yet to prove he can be full time starter. I will take the arms so that teams is not bring out guys like Winkleass to pitch in the majors.

Want to Brewers to keep Gross, he play all 3 OF spots and fill in at 1B. Dillion has to be the backup 1B right now.

I still can't help but wonder if some team doesn't get a little desperate at the end of ST (whether due to injuries or lack of sufficient talent) and take Gross/Vargas/cash package for a low-level prospect or two (a Garrison type). The Brewers are relieved of a couple roster crunches and still save a little money.

- They could use the $$ to get Lofton if so desired (and available). Or not, just letting Gwynn & Kapler & maybe even Dillon pick up some more ABs, esp. whilst Cameron is out.

- Not that Gross or Vargas HAVE to get dumped, but there are some obvious space crunches on the roster and this could be one possible solution.

Just thinking out loud again.

I think you only dump guys that WON'T make the roster for prospects, or for a guy that will make the roster (although maybe reviled like the clark for dessens trade).

I can't see the upside of making the team worse, when you realistically are a playoff team.

Doug has said repeatedly he only cares about improving the Brewers and maybe getting a AAA guy who could help out at midseason.

There will not be any "Vargas for prospects" type deals, unless of course he would have to be waived otherwise.

MNBrew wrote:

- Not that Gross or Vargas HAVE to get dumped, but there are some obvious space crunches on the roster and this could be one possible solution.

I am still not sure there are any space crunches. We are not going to go out with our 12 best pitchers, but it isn't like we are leaving behind someone who isn't more than a little better than what we keep. Villanueva and Parra being the biggest examples. They are both better than who we probably end up keeping, but it isn't like they are head and shoulders better.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Not really, many seem to think Vargas has limited value. At this point, his salary is the only concern, as he'd be an upgrade for 25+ teams as a #5 SP.

With Livian Hernandez making $5M and on a steady decline, you could easily argue he's still vastly underpaid. Only the very low budget teams would not have an interest.

Vargas's salary is not the only concern. It's that you either have to pitch an inferior (compared with other internal options) SP, or stash him on the DL without a real injury.

So why would a Vargas for prospects deal at some point not make sense?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It would only be an upgrade if Vargas was never needed, or replaced with someone equal. Considering most teams have 20-30 starts with a 6-6.50 ERA, they need SP depth. They have some of that now with Parra, but if you're looking to have Manny replace Claudio, who gets those starts when injurues or ineffectiveness occurs? Other than Zach Jackson, the AAA cupboard is mostly not ML ready, and Zach isn't likely to do any better than 5.50, at least not right away.

It would only be an upgrade if Vargas was never needed, or replaced with someone equal.

The argument though is to replace Vargas because there is no room for him, since he's out of options. That, or pitching him stubbornly just 'cause. There isn't room for him on the 25-man once Yo is back. This doesn't have anything to do with Parra imo.

Anything involving Vargas would be wonderful. I don't care if prospects are involved. I just need sleep, and so do the Brewer players, and Vargas pitching prevents that.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Not that I advocate trading Gross, but back on topic, Jim Edmonds is getting an MRI done on his ailing calf, according to MLB.com. Bud Black seems a bit concerned, so I wonder if they might be back on the search for an extra outfielder?
Time to start the TGJ trade rumor thread again I guess.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If we could get something for Gwynn this is one fan that would be over joyed. Dont think he will bring back much but anything will be better than nothing. He is destine to be a 4th or 5th OFer for his career.

Vargas has more value than Gwynn IMO. His arm could bring in better players, even though most people seem to think he has very little value.

At some point you have to realize that maybe it's not a good idea to move a guy for the sake of moving him.

It's never been for the sake of moving him. Without YoGa's injury, which obviously isn't going to last long, there's no place to stash Vargas aside from the DL, as we can't move him to AAA.

Which has been everyone's point(everyone who isn't upset or thinks it's a "problem" that we haven't made a move yet to get rid of one of our starters), why not let it play out and see what happens as camp goes along, or as we get into the season. See how our staff looks at that point, if someone else is desperate for a starting option, whatever.

And there's no place to stash Vargas? Yost has said the Brewers may go with a 13 man rotation to start the season as I've suggested all along, so right there that gives you a place to "stash" him. Plus, Gallardo IS out.

So if you decided to move him when it's been suggested, or all off-season when Mr. Briggs was saying that the Brewers had screwed up and not accomplished their biggest task by getting rid of a starting pitcher, it would have been moving him "just to move him" as it would be right now.

Anything involving Vargas would be wonderful. I don't care if prospects are involved. I just need sleep, and so do the Brewer players, and Vargas pitching prevents that.

It seems to me having depth that most teams can only dream of in the form of a number 8 who is better than 90 pct of the teams number 5 starter would help you sleep moreso than simply giving Vargas away because he's not an ace caliber pitcher. The argument isn't that Vargas should take a major role with this team, rather he should be kept around in the event that we NEED someone to take a larger role as a result of an injury. You're essentially saying that having Vargas on the roster causes you to lose sleep at night, and that you'd rather have someone like a Zach Jackson be our option after injuries rather than Vargas. That makes very little sense to me.

Vargas has more value than Gwynn

It's literally impossible for me to agree more with you. My dream deal would be to ship Vargas + Gwynn for a minor-leaguer or two.

I'm certainly no Tony Gwynn Jr. Fan Club member, but he can help this team out right now, even if it's only a very small amount. Vargas can also help this team out in the future(I happen to think he could be a good reliever, but that's not really the point right now). However, unless you don't think those two players can do anything for you, I'd disagree with moving them for a minor leaguer unless you were getting a real impact prospect, and that's not likely to happen.

So even if Gwynn's only a defensive replacement/pinch runner when Cameron comes back, and even if Vargas only throws out of the BP, I'd still rather have them and their depth than trading for a minor leaguer who's not likely to do much for you in the future, and nothing for you right now. . Those players give you options and can do some little things for you that may hep you win games this year.

Oh, and by the way, I think you need a bigger dream.

So even if Gwynn's only a defensive replacement/pinch runner when Cameron comes back, and even if Vargas only throws out of the BP, I'd still rather have them and their depth than trading for a minor leaguer who's not likely to do much for you in the future, and nothing for you right now.

By "minor leaguer (or two)" I didn't mean "invalid(s) that won't ever do crap for the team"... I mean talent that hasn't yet reached MLB. You don't get good MLB players in return for guys like Vargas & Gwynn, Jr. But you can get talented young players from teams that have advanced needs. IMO the kind of depth Vargas & Gwynn provide isn't worth over-valuing.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Ken Rosenthal at Fox Sports:

The Rays ideally want to replace Rocco Baldelli with a switch-hitter who could provide strong late-inning defense in right field and back up B.J. Upton in center. The Angels' Reggie Willits fits that description, but is said to be unavailable. Free agent Kenny Lofton and the Brewers' Gabe Gross are among the left-handed hitting possibilities. The Blue Jays' Reed Johnson, a right-handed hitter, also might fit, but many clubs view him as an injury risk. The Mets like Johnson, but would prefer an outfielder with more power.

Looks to me like Rosenthal is just roster-checking on 4th OFs there - as opposed to having a hot scoop. Just my opinion. It wouldn't make much sense imo for the Crew to deal away Gross right now.

By "minor leaguer (or two)" I didn't mean "invalid(s) that won't ever do crap for the team"... I mean talent that hasn't yet reached MLB. You don't get good MLB players in return for guys like Vargas & Gwynn, Jr. But you can get talented young players from teams that have advanced needs. IMO the kind of depth Vargas & Gwynn provide isn't worth over-valuing.

Right, I didn't mean to take what you said and suggest that's what you're implying. I agree, if you can get a nice prospect then I'm all for moving them. I guess I'm just saying in the absence of anyone of real value, I don't want to see us make a trade just to make a trade.

Archived