Brewer Fanatic

Padres interested in Gabe Gross; maybe Tampa (Fox Sports speculation)

AJAY

i'm kinda surprised at the thought of definitely keeping Gross. would I take the production-dropoff of a 5th OF/situational PH for some minor-league talent? absolutely.

i'd never argue that Kapler is better than Gross, but with Dillon covering the corners, too, i don't see only a minor dropoff in talent. dumping Gross for a nobody doesn't make sense, but there's a value upgrade if we can get Gross for a minor-leaguer with some potential. and then especially with LaPorta playing a corner spot eventually, i don't see that Gross has any significant role in Milwaukee in the future, so lets get something for him while we can.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i don't see that Gross has any significant role in Milwaukee in the future, so lets get something for him while we can.
Next year that might be true. But a LH OBP and Power Hitter off the bench is a pretty important role for him to fill. (Particularly in the National League)

i'd never argue that Kapler is better than Gross, but with Dillon covering the corners, too, i don't see only a minor dropoff in talent.

I guess this is where there's kind of a fork in the road. I think Joe Dillon's really a good story and all of that, but I'm not very sure that he'd only be a minor drop-off. I also don't think he's as good of a defender as Gross is, nor could he play a little CF if need be.

I agree that getting good value for Gross is a good idea, but he's not really in a roster crunch. Gwynn and (especially) Kapler seem to be more in danger than Gross would be. Of course, they also wouldn't net the team as much in a trade.

While I just cringe at the thought of Gabe Gross as an everyday player, he's an excellent player off the bench. I hope Milwaukee keeps him unless we can extract a valuable minor leaguer at a position of need. In the long term however I really don't see a place for him. LaPorta, lets not forget about Gamel, with Hart and Braun--there really isn't a place for him after this year. But for now he performs a valuable duty, and in a close race any small advantage could lead to important results. Keep him.

Not to knock Gross who I agree is a good bench player to have, but I've never seen a bench player who is untouchable and neither is Gross.

Good teams generally have depth but it's the starters that need to be difference makers. All you have to do is look at the 82 Brewers. Their bench of Marshall Edwards, Mark Brouhard, Ed Romero, and Ned whatshisname (his big HR vs. Red Sox notwithstanding), was nothing special. Had any of their core gotten hurt, they would have been in trouble.

couldn't we trade gross for a prospect and then sign lofton?
Good thinking. The only problem is that no team is going to give us a prospect worth very much.

They are thinking the same thing. If they can give a minor prospect - Gross is an attractive option. If they have to give anything of value - they will just pay Lofton.

Good thinking. The only problem is that no team is going to give us a prospect worth very much.

They are thinking the same thing. If they can give a minor prospect - Gross is an attractive option. If they have to give anything of value - they will just pay Lofton.

Unless they are looking for someone with some upside as well as some pop in their bat. Gross would fit the bill. I dont think your going to get much, but I dont believe that asking for Colt Morton would be aiming for the stars. For me, it would take a player like Morton to be willing to see Gross go. Gross will have a big role to play if we are going to make the playoffs.

would lofton really come here knowing that he will be a backup? he could obviously play in april - maybe at his age he would accept that he would be better off not playing 9 innings every day?

I still really like the idea of obtaining Kenny Lofton, especially as a centerfield/2 hole fill-in during the first month of the season. But there really isn't room for him with Gross on the roster.

I wonder what we could get for something like Gross, a starter (Bush?) and a fringe minor league prospect (Jackson?)...

Al, they have 11 pitchers making over $2 million, 9 of whom make over $3 million, and as many as 5 others (Gallardo, Villanueva, Parra, Stetter, Choate) who could deserve to make the team. That's 16 major league pitchers.

You mention Choate and Stetter. That's an awful lot of confidence to give two guys who've done very little. Not to mention that you'd then have 3 loogy's on your roster. Doesn't really seem feasible. So right there you're down to 14 and just two away from what I believe we're going to keep.

Gallardo is out right now. 13.

Then you have Parra who could start the year in AAA. 12.

The Brewers could easily go with a 12 man staff to start the season with Cameron out.

The point is, you've been clamoring for the Brewers to move a pitcher because this was a problem for the last several months. We've already lost a starter and we're a week into camp. At some point you have to realize that maybe it's not a good idea to move a guy for the sake of moving him.

(pared back long nested quote --1992)

At some point you have to realize that maybe it's not a good idea to move a guy for the sake of moving him.

It's never been for the sake of moving him. Without YoGa's injury, which obviously isn't going to last long, there's no place to stash Vargas aside from the DL, as we can't move him to AAA.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If it's been mentioned I apoligize, but to me, I don't ever want to see the Damien Miller/Mike Rivera/Joe Dillons of the world ever play at first for us ever again.

To me it seems a waste to not have Corey Hart and /or Gross ready to step in at first. Yes it should only be for the 2 games a season Prince gets the day off, but it never made sense to see Hart( who can play first) or even Gross on the bench while Miller was wasting innings out there.

If Prince pulls a hammy and has to sit for two weeks, I want Hart at first and Gross in right, or vice versa, no Eric Munson/ Mike Rivera dudes ot there.

It would not take much for Corey to be proficient there again, and yet I don't think it's ever crossed Ned's mind.

Archived