Brewer Fanatic

Padres interested in Gabe Gross; maybe Tampa (Fox Sports speculation)

AJAY

From Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com . . . .

Brewers' Gross in demand

Unable to pry Matt Murton from the Cubs, the Padres are among the teams eyeing Brewers outfielder Gabe Gross, who is out of options and caught in a potential roster bind.

The Brewers' corner outfielders, Ryan Braun and Corey Hart, each could play more than 150 games. Mike Cameron will be the regular in center once he returns from his 25-game suspension for testing positive for a banned stimulant. Tony Gwynn Jr. and Gabe Kapler could be the backups.

Gross, then, could be the odd man out, unless the Brewers option Gwynn or drop Kapler. The Brewers still think Gross could produce decent numbers if he were given 400 to 450 at-bats, but he will not get that chance in Milwaukee.

The A's and Indians have shown past interest in Gross and the Braves also were interested in him when they were searching for a center fielder.

The Padres are still looking for additional options in left, but the Cubs want major-league help for Murton. The much-discussed Murton-for-Marlon Byrd deal is all but dead due to the Rangers' asking price, sources said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7830284/Notebook:-Reds-fill-rotation-with-cheap-labor

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. With Cameron out for April, we definitely have our own need for Gross. I can't see why Kapler would make the team over Gross.

Depends what they're offering I guess, but our OF is really only 6 deep not counting Dillon, which leaves just 5 during the suspension.

Just a question for everyone...

Gross is not too likely to play that much. However, he will be a valuable LH hitter off the bench.

Is Gross that much better than Nix? Both can play CF. Both are LH. Both have some pop.

If we can get something of value for Gross - I wouldn't object to using Nix to replace him.

(I don't like Gwynn replacing him because Gwynn is such a different player - no power)

Yes Gross is better than Nix. Nix sucks. Nix has had 917 PAs in MLB and has produced .238/.273/.406. Nix would severely struggle to get a .300 OBP while Gross's worst projection is .340. Gwynn is a much better option than Nix and Gross still swamps both. Now Branyan versus Gross would be closer, but Gross is still slightly better offensively and being able to cover CF much more needed defensively.

Yeah - I just looked up Nix's OBP. Pretty scary stuff.

However, it isn't really fair to judge him on all of his PA - he was really young for most of them with Texas. I would hope/assume he had grown since then.

I think has LH power hitters of the bench they might be close. But if you need someone to get on base - Gross wins in a landslide.

Thing is he really hasn't changed that much. In AAA in 2007 he hit .268/.329/.539. That still shows little discipline. And for Texas in 2006 in AAA it was .269/.313/.430. Like I said Branyan would be a better option than Nix if you're just looking for a bench power bat.

Any interest in any Brewer spare player should be looked at as an opportunity to unload an extra pitcher. Right now the Padres website has Mark Prior listed as their 5th starter. They could use a backup plan. Gross doesn't figure to get many starts with Braun in LF and Hart in RF.

How about Gross and Vargas for Inman and/or Garrison back?

I don't hear any concern about "too many pitchers". Given we lost one before camp started, and another 1-2 are bound to go down, I'm in no hurry to trade pitching until late March. Vargas would be an upgrade as a #5 SP for a minimum of 25 teams, before injuries strike.

I don't hear any concern about "too many pitchers". Given we lost one before camp started, and another 1-2 are bound to go down, I'm in no hurry to trade pitching until late March. Vargas would be an upgrade as a #5 SP for a minimum of 25 teams, before injuries strike.

Al, they have 11 pitchers making over $2 million, 9 of whom make over $3 million, and as many as 5 others (Gallardo, Villanueva, Parra, Stetter, Choate) who could deserve to make the team. That's 16 major league pitchers.

Sure if they can wait until late in spring, fine. But even with Gallardo's minor setback, they still can afford to deal one pitcher. Where they are lacking in pitching as an organization is at the AAA and AA levels where they are having to get guys in their 30's to fill rosters.

You can only pitch one guy at a time. Depth is fine to have but it can be a negative if you are talking about taking guys based on their contract and options situation rather than their ability.

Any chance the Pads would be willing to deal Headley? I realize that they wouldn't give him away and that they're giving him the chance to win the LF job.

What about Headley for Gross, Capuano/Bush, & a good prospect? Who would that prospect be? Would the Pads have some interest in a young OF (Ford/Cain) or a guy like Gamel? Is that enough?

Headley is only 23 and it wouldn't hurt him to spend this year in AAA playing 3rd base. The Brewers would still have a rotation 6 deep not including Gallardo.

Don't expect to much here. I heard from a pretty decent source the Brewers have been asking for some pretty decent talent back for any of their players. When I first heard of this a few weeks ago I believe it was Gross and Jackson for some minor league pitchers named Drew Miller and Jermey Hefner.

"Tony Gwynn Jr. and Gabe Kapler could be the backups."

That's one way for Rosenthal to prove he has no idea what's going on in Milwaukee.

I heard from a pretty decent source the Brewers have been asking for some pretty decent talent back for any of their players.

Good. That's how we should want it to be. The notion that Gross is pinched for a roster spot is a flat-out joke. He's our clear-cut 4th OF, and a darn good one.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I see no reason to trade Gross and many reasons to keep him. Gwynn on the other hand I think ends up as the odd man out depending on how Kapler performs. I wouldn't do anything at least for the first month of the season. They all have a spot as of right now.(Kapler, Gwynn, Gross)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

When I first heard of this a few weeks ago I believe it was Gross and Jackson for some minor league pitchers named Drew Miller and Jermey Hefner.

That does not sound right to me, as Miller and Jackson are pretty much a wash, and Hefner is a 2007 draftee. Methinks that was just some spitballin' going on.

JB12, I'm normally right with you, but I don't get this notion about Choate being a major-league pitcher just because he was (actually the very first) free agent signee. He signed a 2-way contract. He couldn't earn a call-up from the Twins last year, who kept calling horrible players up from their AAA team at Rochester. Choate only makes this team if 8 other pitchers ahead of him are hurt, and that's hardly enough to guarantee it.

I'm sure the same was said after the Brewers traded Joe Thatcher to the Padres, but that criticism has since quieted as well. I'm not advocating the Choate, I'm just saying that ciriticizing a player because of the organizations' actions with the player (outside of bumping a guy from low A to AA and then to the majors...) doesn't hold much credibility in the grand scheme of projection.

Gabe Gross should be ahead of Kapler, Nix and Gwynn. I don't see why the Brewers would trade him unless it was for something of real value that would help the team in the very near future.

Don't the Padres still want Gwynn? Let's make that happen.

Archived