Brewer Fanatic

Villenueva Is opening in the Minors a possiblity? (Yost hints they may not go with 5 best starters)

fondybrewfan

SteveO

Why would we trade him if we dont have Sheets. This team needs to have pitchers. If Sheets leave you have Yo, Bush, Parra, Cappy as starers. Villy has not shown he can start in the majors over the long haul so you really cant count on him, Parra still has something to prove also. Vargas could be in the mix but most on this site have him out the door before spring is over. There really isn't a lot on the farm that will be ready at that time either.

I dont see why Suppan needs to be moved off the team after this season. His contract might be bigger than what this team has had in the past but the pay role is larger than the past also. His value is that he shows up for his turn in the rotation and gives the team a chance to win. I wish Sheets would be there every turn in the rotation so that he could earn the big bucks he is getting from the Brewers, then maybe it would be not a heated debate on how good he is and if he needed to be resigned.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060430&content_id=1426077&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The velocity is not what it was, though that's kind of coming back a little bit. I've thrown some pitches 90-91 [mph]. I'd like to have more velocity if I could, but I'm definitely learning to use the changeup a little more and the two-seam [fastball]."

I think 91 is probably tops for him but he definitely hit it sometimes in the past. If his average last year was 88.5 he almost had to have hit 91 at least a few times.

• 1 month later...
I hate to bring this thread up again, but reading this makes me think of how Brewer nation may be a little too high on CV and in a way Parra. They both are young guys and sending either one to the minors isn't a crazy idea back then and it's not now. They need more experience whether that's the bigs or the minors. I think as fans we can over evaluate guys sometimes, but so far CV and Parar haven't shown that it'd be that ridiculous to send them to Nashville for a bit -- the Sheets injury might make it a moot point, but CV and Parra haven't shown to be consistent pitchers so far and one or the other will most likely be in Nashville soon if Sheets is healthy.

reading this makes me think of how Brewer nation may be a little too high on CV and in a way Parra.

CV's first 2 starts were very good. A bulk of the runs scored on him in those 2 games (5 out of 6) came in the last inning of work when Nedly pulled his patented leaving the starting pitcher in too long move. His third start wasn't good and so far tonight he has another very good start through 7. I'm pretty happy with a starter that can give you 3/4th of there starts are good to very good. So I think you're letting one bad start and Yost's mismanagement cloud your judgement of CV. As far as Parra goes, I agree he's not looked as sharp in 2 of his 3 starts, but neither has Dave Boosh. So I can see Parra going down when Sheets returns sometime in July, but I think Carlos has done what he needs to do as a starter.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He still leaves too many on base. Hard to make a living for an extended period of time like that.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I guess my point is that some thought before the 25 man was finalized that it would be ridiculous if CV or Parra were sent down. I know we like our young pitchers and young players for that matter, but I don't think at this point either is a finished product. I do think CV rebounded nicely last night and got his control back a bit. I think Parra should get sent down if everyone is healthy and if he gets sent down it's not the end of the world and I'm sure we'll see him back in Milwaukee sooner rather than later. His next start could go a long way in determining his fate.

Archived