Brewer Fanatic

Villenueva Is opening in the Minors a possiblity? (Yost hints they may not go with 5 best starters)

fondybrewfan
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are three or four recent posts in this thread with ad hominem comments. Let's end it.
What does ad hominem mean? Isn't that latin?

to the man, I think, is the direct translation. basically it means no personal attacks. argue with what is said, don't say a guy is stupid or stubborn or whatever.

but why cant yost change the subject, say no comment, or we'll deal with that if it comes up in the future? villy cannot be happy to hear this.

My personal hunch is that they go over the stuff that's ok on which to comment, and what isn't. Since I'm of the belief that this move is directly related to building the trade value of Cappy/Bush/Vargas, I think they decided to go to the press in order to 'spread the news.'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

sbrylski06 wrote:

Actually, I think he's in at this point. Sheets, Suppan, Capuano, Bush, Vargas. When Gallardo comes back, Vargas gets axed, traded, or DLed. Parra in AAA, Villanueva likely in the pen.

You really think they would start Vargas? I would think they keep Villy up until Gallardo is back.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

somebody here said they do not need a 5th starter until when?

if this premise is correct ( villy to minors), then sheets, suppan, cappy, and bush are your first 4, with yo coming back about mid april. the yo injury kind of eases the rotation into the season.

I don't understand how the team won't need 5 SP right away, aside from throwing guys on short rest. The team plays 5 consecutive games to open the season, then an off day, then 6 in a row, then an off day, and then 13 in a row. Unless I'm unaware of some new math, I count a need for 5 SP.

Disclaimer: It is highly likely that I've missed something incredibly simple.

I don't understand how the team won't need 5 SP right away, aside from throwing guys on short rest. The team plays 5 consecutive games to open the season, then an off day, then 6 in a row, then an off day, and then 13 in a row. Unless I'm unaware of some new math, I count a need for 5 SP.

Disclaimer: It is highly likely that I've missed something incredibly simple.

There is a day off between game 1 and game 2 of the Cubs series. They do not need a fifth starter until 04/19, and there is a very good chance Yo will be ready then.

This isn't very hard, but of course we will probably make it so.

That schedule has Sheets pitch on 3 days' rest by throwing on the 6th v. SF. Is that something that just isn't a concern?

And to nitpick, if the 'Sheets on the 6th with 3 days' rest' model is the one employed, we'd need a 5th SP on the 20th... by my count.

EDIT: There is a day off between game 1 and game 2 of the Cubs series.

Not according to the official schedule on brewers.com

That schedule has Sheets pitch on 3 days' rest by throwing on the 6th v. SF. Is that something that just isn't a concern?

And to nitpick, if the 'Sheets on the 6th with 3 days' rest' model is the one employed, we'd need a 5th SP on the 20th... by my count.

EDIT: There is a day off between game 1 and game 2 of the Cubs series.

Not according to the official schedule on brewers.com

Game 1 of the Cubs series is 03/31, game 2 is 04/02, I've seen this on every site I've been on.

It's actually four days rest and he will pitch Saturday the 6th for the Giants series. Just trust me on this, we don't have to have a fifth starter until 04/19, assuming four days rest before every start.

It's actually four days rest and he will pitch Saturday the 6th. Just trust me on this, we don't have to have a fifth starter until 04/19, assuming four days rest before every start.

No offense intended, but I trust the schedule on the Brewers' official site more than I do anyone that says, "Just trust me..." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Still don't know where that off-day is coming from. Is the Crew's website not up-to-date?

Not a big deal.

I guess I'm extremely confused as to why the Brewers would take a simple thing and make it very complicated. Yo will be ready by April 19th, that will have given him almost 9 weeks since the surgery.

So we need four starters up until then.

Sheets

Suppan

Villanueva

whoever wins it between Bush/Capuano

then Yo comes back on/after 04/19. Not that damn hard, it just isn't.

sbrylski06 wrote:

Actually, I think he's in at this point. Sheets, Suppan, Capuano, Bush, Vargas. When Gallardo comes back, Vargas gets axed, traded, or DLed. Parra in AAA, Villanueva likely in the pen.

You really think they would start Vargas? I would think they keep Villy up until Gallardo is back.

This recent comment from Yost indicates to me they are still shopping a starter. So Vargas could definitely be traded before OD yet. If not, I expect them to showcase him if possible. But as pointed out, we won't need a #5 for a while anyway.

But yes, if Vargas is still on the roster, I can definitely see him starting over Villy at the beginning of the year, in the intention of trading him.

Luke, I agree. I had a Cub fan tell me YoGa is no big deal. He'll be back. All I said is we lost the division by 2 games last year. Frankly, I want to get to the playoffs and these so-called meaningless March games can mean everything. They all count.

Luke, I agree. I had a Cub fan tell me YoGa is no big deal. He'll be back. All I said is we lost the division by 2 games last year. Frankly, I want to get to the playoffs and these so-called meaningless March games can mean everything. They all count.

every game does matter--that should be the motto for ned yost this year. it actually sounds pretty good for a sound bite---'please welcome your 2008 milwaukee brewers. every game does matter'. i like it. how about you casey?

How about me? I'd rather see Carlos in the rotation, but I don't get too worked up about comments made by the GM or manager at the start of spring training. Things have a way of working themselves out.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

well they do have a game in march. and your point is very correct--they all count.

in the past ned yost has used games--during years he did not expect the crew to contend (i think you should always expect to win)--to 'teach' players certain things during the game/season. and make decisions that may have not been about winning, but about learning.

that is why THEY ALL COUNT is so true. a game in april is as important as a game in september.

How about me? I'd rather see Carlos in the rotation, but I don't get too worked up about comments made by the GM or manager at the start of spring training. Things have a way of working themselves out.

i agree. that is why villy to aaa is no big deal for me, if it happens. these 'too many player' things always seem to get worked out.

Archived