Brewer Fanatic

Howard wins arbitration case

adambr2

Yeah I'm not looking forward to how much we are going to have to fork over for Braun and Fielder. I really think unless the payroll gets huge for us that we may have to pick between the two. I mean we also have to give money to Yo, Hart and Weeks eventually.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think the arbitrators made a mistake. Yes you have to project the players but the arbitration system is also there to protect the team and to keep smaller market teams competitive. If they are going to give $10M to guys with only 2 full seasons who are poor defensively and have missed time with an injury I just think it is a mistake. The $7M offer was very fair for a first year of arbitration.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to how much we are going to have to fork over for Braun and Fielder. I really think unless the payroll gets huge for us that we may have to pick between the two.

I'd be surprised if we kept one more than a year past free agency.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

this is the exact reason i've bee n saying the brewers' window of opportunity is 1-3 years at best. I realize i come off as being very pessimistic. We al l know Prince will ask for more than Howard received in arby, and the brewers will either be forced to pay his asking price or come very close to it. Boras is not going t o give the brewers a discount and prince is not going to sign any 4 year deal for $25 million. Prince is going to command big bucks. that said, they'll have to cut their costs by either allowing some other quality players to leave, or they will be forced to trade prince away for prospects and start rebuilding once more. This is why i like the marlins so much. They splurge for a couple of years, win a couple of championships, and then they rebuild. We all know that day is of rebuilding and saying good bye to prince is coming. it would be nice if we followed the marlin's pattern and splurged for the next two years and won a championship before prince leaves.

I sure hope we don't go the Marlin path because it still took a ton of luck to win those championships, they were not the better team when they won they just got hot at the right time.

Yes we will have to pay our players soon but they will still be cheaper than the free agent price and still be values for marginal wins. We just aren't going to be able to throw away money on the bullpen/bench like we have been. There is a lot of money coming off the books in the next year or two so convering arbitration numbers should not be a big problem. I don't think we'll be keeping Sheets though so Parry/CV better be ready to plug those holes in the rotation.

I laughed when I heard they were going to a ruling today. It was common sense to say that Howard would win. He was MVP in 2006. In 2007 he blasted 47 homers despite missing around a month. He's a good guy, and he just "stuck it" to a crappy organization

There is no reason to get rid of Fielder until the last year before he goes free agent imo. The team can afford a couple contracts like that for the short term because the players are staggered a bit.

what about sheets? if the brewers have a chance to win with prince, like sheets now, do they trade him?

tough call. baseball economics will drive many fans away in the next few years in my humble opinion. the cost for tickets will be one thing, but when players start getting $20 -$30mil a year, and more (yes i know about a few now) --not just a few, but most players--the game will start to lose interest. the owners need to reign in salaries soon. ex)- sexson is due $14 mil this year. pathetic.

how much will we pay for a beer? $10 each? bye,bye.

I look forward to a time when all ballplayers are paid the same. All tickets should be the same price too. Beers? 12 oz, 16 oz, and 20 oz are all 3 dollars. Pretzel bites? Buck fifty. Parking? Free. If it wasn't for our greedy overlord owner this could happen. Jerseys are also overpriced. Hats? pffftt. All hats and jerseys should be a price commensurate with the common ideal.

Archived