Brewer Fanatic

Prince Fielder: Vegetarian

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Long hair isn't the same as dreads.

You're determining content of character based on one specific hairstyle? Al Harris has dreads. So does Lenny Kravitz.

I'm not determining his judgement, I simply said I hope Prince growing dreads doesn't mean he'll turn into Ricky Williams or Cedric Bensen. I never said growing dreads is a bad thing....I'd love Manny Ramirez as a Brewer

And I thought I was making progress when I switched from beef burgers to turkey burgers. I guess I have a long way to go. My wife while not a vegetarian is huge into all natural foods and I just cant get myself excited by a life full of flax seed, fruits, vegetables, and no good potato chips (Blue Cheese/Hot Wing Doritos)

My wife while not a vegetarian is huge into all natural foods and I just cant get myself excited by a life full of flax seed, fruits, vegetables, and no good potato chips (Blue Cheese/Hot Wing Doritos)

Try the company Garden of Eatin' - their blue corn tortilla chips are a-maaaaay-zing. Especially if you're into chips & salsas.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Long hair isn't the same as dreads.

You're determining content of character based on one specific hairstyle? Al Harris has dreads. So does Lenny Kravitz.

I'm not determining his judgement, I simply said I hope Prince growing dreads doesn't mean he'll turn into Ricky Williams or Cedric Bensen. I never said growing dreads is a bad thing....I'd love Manny Ramirez as a Brewer

You definitely intimated that growing dreads is a bad thing and even worse brushed off the long hair thing. Long hair's OK but dreads sets off red flags. Huh.

I've got sideburns and a bit of a bad pompadour, that doesn't mean I'm gonna turn into John Wayne Gacy, who had a similar hairstyle.

I love meat. Had steak for dinner tonight...yummy.

You want to be a vegetarian, fine. I just don't want to hear about why I shouldn't eat meat. I'm not looking at anyone in particular, but the over-the-top PETA types anger me. If I want to change, I have internet and can look it up.

Whatever, go Prince.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Does sound funny, doesn't it? Like I'm some sort of special society.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

This has made me decide to pursue a new path while applying for jobs (as I graduate with a CS degree in May)....

"Have internet. Will google."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Guys that brag about the kind/amount of meat they consume are probably compensating for a lack of meat.....................in their freezers.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Todd Finkelmeyer of The Capital Times in Madison quoted from this thread in his Hit and Run column today. Here is the relevant text:

• Did you hear the big news out of the Milwaukee Brewers' spring training camp?

And no, we're not talking about the fact that Yovani Gallardo, the young right-hander who was the star of the Brewers' pitching staff for much of 2007, underwent knee surgery this week to repair torn cartilage.

No, the really big news is that All-Star first baseman Prince Fielder recently decided to become a vegetarian after he received a book from his wife, Chanel, that described how certain animals are treated and slaughtered for food. Apparently, the massive Fielder -- who is listed at 6-foot, 260 pounds -- basically decided on the spot to stop eating meat on Feb. 3.

"After reading that, (meat) just didn't sound good to me anymore," Fielder told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "It grossed me out a little bit. It's not a diet thing or anything like that. I don't miss (meat) at all."

Fielder says the new lifestyle has him feeling cleansed and that his energy level is up.

The Journal-Sentinel article led to the following great comments from people posting on Brewerfan.net, a fan message board:

Hawing wrote: Imagine if the increase in energy translated into more inside-the-park home runs.

Nader Raider Tim wrote: So when do the Brewers announce that they are introducing the Boca Brat into the Brat Race?

SoCal Brew Crew Fan wrote: I love Prince, but he's been a veggie for how long? Two weeks? That's like me drinking too much on Saturday night and having a front page article on Monday that "SoCal Brew Crew Fan permanently gives up alcohol." I can't buy it yet.

Neither can I, SoCal. Neither can I.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Damn, didn't realize what a phenomenon I'd be starting with that incorrect choice of wording.

Don't know exactly where you are, but there is this:

http://www.sorgsmeats.com/

I've been to this place! Many times actually...very good cuts. In fact, we just had a steak from there on Valentine's Day. Very good!

As for my personal views, if Prince doesn't want to eat meat, that's fine. I feel though, that if meat is murder, murder is pretty darn delicious.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

"The Journal-Sentinel article led to the following great comments from people posting on Brewerfan.net, a fan message board:

Hawing wrote: Imagine if the increase in energy translated into more inside-the-park home runs.

Nader Raider Tim wrote: So when do the Brewers announce that they are introducing the Boca Brat into the Brat Race?

SoCal Brew Crew Fan wrote: I love Prince, but he's been a veggie for how long? Two weeks? That's like me drinking too much on Saturday night and having a front page article on Monday that "SoCal Brew Crew Fan permanently gives up alcohol." I can't buy it yet."

Neither can I, SoCal. Neither can I.

Woooooooo1ot1!!

• 4 weeks later...

"Brewers counting on vegetarian Fielder in meat of order"

"His wife, Chanel, is an avid reader, and anyone who has seen Prince, at 5-11 and a solid 270 pounds, knows he's probably no stranger to the kitchen.

This book, though? Listen. Here's betting that if something called Skinny Bitch, the best-seller written by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, was sitting on your kitchen counter, you'd page through it, too.

'I'll be honest,' Fielder says. 'If that wasn't the title, I probably wouldn't have looked at it. I was like, 'What is this?'

'He has everyone in here recycling bottles,' Brewers third baseman Bill Hall says.

That idea came not only from the Discovery Channel, but also from viewing Al Gore's Academy Award-winning movie, An Inconvenient Truth.

'I just looked in the trash and saw so much plastic, it made me feel bad," Fielder says. "I figured, at least I can start with myself. Because I crush water. I drink it all the time.

...[W]hen he belted his first spring home run last week, his reaction ranged far more toward amusement than relief.

'Everyone was saying how many home runs would I hit as a vegetarian,' Fielder says. 'I told the guys when I got back to the dugout, 'Hey, guys, I'm OK! I'm still hitting home runs even if I'm not eating meat!'

Trainer Roger Caplinger and strength coach Chris Joyner have spoken with him, emphasizing the danger of protein and iron deficiencies in a non-meat diet.

His preferences run from black beans and rice to Boca burgers, the soy-based, meatless patties that substitute for his once-beloved cheeseburgers. What he's noticed so far is that he seems to have more energy and that his skin feels a better.

'I don't preach to people,' Fielder says. 'I don't want to make them uncomfortable. When people who don't know offer me meat, I just say, 'No thanks.'

The irony of a young star -- and this young star in particular -- going vegetarian in this city isn't quite as entertaining as Fielder's spot-on imitations of dozens of batting stances (Mo Vaughn and David Ortiz are two of his finest that keep the Brewers' clubhouse in stitches). But it's certainly different.

Fielder has honed that over the years and, his curiosity is wide-ranging. Mixed in with his offensive production in 2007 were 14 errors, most of any NL first baseman. This spring, in addition to watching what he eats, he's logging many more hours on the back fields with infield coach Dale Sveum.

'He's asked more questions than any young player I've ever been around,' says Sveum, who is especially working with Fielder on improving the big man's footwork."

Prince crushes water. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif That cracked me up. It's appalling to me that a MLB clubhouse wasn't recycling, but great for Prince to be the one to take initiatve. A neat read, shedding some more light on Prince's lifestyle change. I hope someday we can see these batting stance impressions! Oh - and one nugget from Yost:

"On a scale of one to 10, he's a 10," Brewers manager Ned Yost says. "I've met very few players who are a 10, but he's a 10. He's very special.

Archived