Brewer Fanatic

Prince Fielder: Vegetarian

WooHoo. So when do the Brewers announce that they are introducing the Boca Brat into the Brat Race. Honestly though if the Brewers did that it would be a nice bunch of free advertising that they would get.

As a vegetarian of 10 years I just want to say, Congratulations Prince. I don't push my beleifs on others but I am always happy when they make the decision for themselves. For me I made the decision to stop eating meat when I really thought about what I was doing. If I wanted a hamburger I knew that I wouldn't be willing to go out and kill and butcher the animal to get the meat, so therefore it was illogical for me to be willing to eat meat.

Regarding the health aspects, being a vegitarian dosen't take anymore work than eating meat. Yes you need to replace the lost protein, that is easy to do tofu is a much better means of getting protein. Iron and Vitamin B12 are the things that you probably are going to have to go and actually buy a vitamin supplement to get. Omega 3 fatty acids are also something that will need to get if you don't eat fist. You can get Omega 3 from Soy Nuts and Walnuts. A simple enough endeavor. Then it is just a matter of eating a healthy and varied diet.

I think I am going to have to buy a Prince Fielder jersey

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a kick-butt BF.net t-shirt doesn't come out of this, I will have lost my faith in the world.

EDIT: Something related to him hitting in the meat of the order? How about, "The only meat Prince processes is a 3-1 fastball"?

Help me out here, people. I know you can do better.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He does know his favorite vegetarian food so far is Boca Burgers, a burger patty made from soy protein and wheat gluten. But he is obviously still a newbie because he has to "load it up with ketchup" for it to be just beyond tolerable.

This is the sentence that concerns me the most. Boca Burgers are the type of garbage you eat if you've just cut meat out your diet, but desire meat-like foods. The team nutritionist had better jump on him quick and make sure he's not surviving on Boca burgers and veggie-dogs. And as stated above, he's going to need vitamins to make up some things he normally would have gotten from eating meat everyday. There's nothing wrong with being a vegetarian, but radically changing the diet of anyone, particularly an athlete, can have some serious consequences.

I for one stopped eating mainline fast food years ago simply from the realization that it made me feel awful a half hour later. I didn't need to be shocked into it. But since I have a father who owns ranch, I'm happy to eat all the free bison I can handle. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"The only meat consumed by Prince is the Cubs starting rotation."

Nice!

Why, oh why couldn't this story have come to light before our T-shirt contest deadline?

No kidding. The staff needs to come through on this one. No pressure... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hopefully this doesn't effect his power.

I can't think of any vegetarian athletes off the top of my head, I'm sure there some, but it'll interesting to see how it effects him as a player and if he starts eating meat again if it does.

"As a vegetarian of 10 years I just want to say, Congratulations Prince. I don't push my beleifs on others but I am always happy when they make the decision for themselves. For me I made the decision to stop eating meat when I really thought about what I was doing. If I wanted a hamburger I knew that I wouldn't be willing to go out and kill and butcher the animal to get the meat, so therefore it was illogical for me to be willing to eat meat.

Regarding the health aspects, being a vegitarian dosen't take anymore work than eating meat. Yes you need to replace the lost protein, that is easy to do tofu is a much better means of getting protein. Iron and Vitamin B12 are the things that you probably are going to have to go and actually buy a vitamin supplement to get..."

To me, if I wanted a B-12 supplement, I wouldn't be willing to go to the lab and make one, so therefore it was illogical for me to not eat meat.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If I wanted a hamburger I knew that I wouldn't be willing to go out and kill and butcher the animal to get the meat, so therefore it was illogical for me to be willing to eat meat.

Omega 3 fatty acids are also something that will need to get if you don't eat fist.

RE: quote #1: That's what you pay for, isn't it? Kind of like how you pay people to harvest veggies...

RE: quote #2: I try my best to not eat fist.

I find it hilarious that this thread has reached 4 pages already. To each his own I guess, but I do not feel the least bit guilty when I eat a steak or pork chop. Meat is meant to be consumed.

I guess I would rather have animals mistreated than the migrant workers that are picking the vegetables, but I guess I value human life more than animal life.

As long as it doesn't affect Prince's game, I could care less.

Yes you need to replace the lost protein, that is easy to do tofu is a much better means of getting protein.

It's not vegetarian, but more people need to be turned on to squid. That stuff has tons of protein, and if you're into animals that aren't gruesome to kill and butcher (plus they aren't as "smart" as some animals many object to killing), it's the way to go. I just had some squid jerky as a snack earlier tonight.

Squid/calimari is scrumptious!

I find it hilarious that this thread has reached 4 pages already. To each his own I guess, but I do not feel the least bit guilty when I eat a steak or pork chop. Meat is meant to be consumed.

I guess I would rather have animals mistreated than the migrant workers that are picking the vegetables, but I guess I value human life more than animal life.

As long as it doesn't affect Prince's game, I could care less.

This thread has hardly been a debate about human v. animal life. Humans are animals. If you could care less, why chime in to rain on the parade?

squid jerky? I had a housemate in college from Japan, he ate dried squid, but it was nothing like jerky. More stiff and brittle. He put it in the toaster to warm it up.

squids are animals, though.

egg whites and dairy would be a way to get protein if his only concern was with the slaughter of the animals.

TooLiveBrew wrote:

This thread has hardly been a debate about human v. animal life. Humans are animals. If you could care less, why chime in to rain on the parade?

I wasn't commenting on the fact that it had reached 4 pages because of a debate. That comment was directed more at Prince's reasons for not eating meat, not singling out anyone here. I just found it ironic that a thread would reach 4 pages when a player chooses to go vegetarian. It just shows how badly we need the season to start so we can talk some substance http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Didn't mean to be cause offense with my comments. If people want to eat meat, fine. If they don't, fine. I am just saying that you can probably find something wrong with everything and every food industry if you wanted to nitpick.

Archived