Brewer Fanatic

Deadspin:Richie Sexson knows the value of a Dollar

RyDogg66

Link

Excerpts:

Richie Sexson just wants to make it clear that he wouldn't be being booed so much if he were making a piddly $1 million a year.

"The money has a lot to do with it," said Sexson, who will make $14 million this year. "If I was making a million, people wouldn't care."

When we were in Seattle, someone told us about a beer special at a bar in which pints of lousy domestic beer costs whatever Sexson's batting average was at the time. Needless to say, it was the bestselling, cheapest beer around.

So glad didnt commit to him long term.

I prefer not to read this. Richie is in my happy place, along with Branyan, hitting bomb after bomb together. Afterwards we playfully splash water on one another to cool off...

Please don't ruin my happy place.

And then Overbay walks in with Cirillo: "Looks like you fellas could use a massage"

"The money has a lot to do with it," said Sexson, who will make $14 million this year. "If I was making a million, people wouldn't care."
Did I just hear him say he wants to restructure his contract?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I don't think Sexson will come back to his previous years though, big guys like him do not age all that well and he'll be 33 this year. I think 30ish HR's in that park would be doable but I don't see 35 out of him and I think the .250-.260 AVG range is the most likely result. $14M is a lot for a 30 HR, .255 hitter with maybe a .815 OPS or so and poor defense at this point.

I think Richie will probably do better than Ennder's projections this year, but I am a fan from when I was first getting back into the Brewers back around '02. However, by the time '12 rolls around, I can't imagine him still being good enough to warrant a starting spot to 'replace' Prince. If/when Prince moves on I hope we can do a lot better than a 37-39 year old Sexson to take over.

I do giggle when you think of how many folks wanted to keep him and trade "that unproven prospect Prince". Unathletic players rarely age gracefully, especially when they hit 30.

As for Briggs' thought, I think it'll be a shock if Sexson is still playing in a year or two, never mind '12. He's made about $60M, those guys tend not to stick around when it gets tough.

When we were in Seattle, someone told us about a beer special at a bar in which pints of lousy domestic beer costs whatever Sexson's batting average was at the time. Needless to say, it was the bestselling, cheapest beer around.
Was it known as 'Sexson Beer' ?

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Archived