Brewer Fanatic

The Return of 3TO (Ridiculously Raking in Nashville) [merged with Hall platoon thread]

SZBrewerFan
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What if Hall goes down?
If Hall were to go down, I would suspect that Melvin would think in this order:

1. Joe Dillon to 3B

2. Abraham Nunez to 3B

3. Trade for a veteran 3B

4. Promote Branyan to give Counsell a day off once a week

your unfounded dislike of Branyan.
I don't have a problem with him. I just don't think he's any good. I do put a lot of stock in batting average. Right or wrong. I still think it's a valuable stat.

Why do you think it's still a valuable stat? I am asking that as a serious question. Batting average correlates to runs at a lower rate than on base or slugging.

3. Trade for a veteran 3B

I heavily doubt that you can find a third basemen who is capable of putting up better numbers than Branyan without giving up anything of value. And Branyan is almost certainly more valuable than Nunez.

Yeah Dillon is there, can't forget that. But Branyan would be the next logical option, I don't understand why it's big deal since he's in AAA and unlikely to get much MLB time unless there are injuries. He's a nice 4th option to have.

Why do you think it's still a valuable stat?
I guess the best way to explain it is this, I value OPS obviously as it takes OBP and SLG into account. I like to use OPS to separate levels of players in a certain range, but I just cant completely ignore batting average. I want to know how many times someone is going to get a hit when they don't walk. I guess when someone is hitting between .240-.280 range, I like to use OPS to determine what kind of production they are giving within their average batting average range.

However, when someone is only hitting in the .220 range I just can't ignore that. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. It's just how I feel.

"However, when someone is only hitting in the .220 range I just can't ignore that. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. It's just how I feel. '

You said that batting average is valuable. That has a very specific meaning. You said that Branyan stinks because he has a low batting average, one that is below your comfort level. Your comfort level has nothing to do with the value that Branyan has.

If you don't like a low batting average and it frustrates you to watch Branyan, that is a supportable opinion. But to say that Branyan stinks is unsupportable.

26-64, 4 HR's, 15 RBI and seven walks at Nashville... and he stinks as a result?
I could care less what he does at Nashville. He's not some young rookie who is doing well in the minors and we're anxious to get him to the big leagues to see what he can do.

We know what he can do in the big leagues against big league pitching. Absolutely nothing.

He can hit .600 in Nashville for all I care, because that won't change the fact that the dude can't hit a big league curveball to save his life.

Branyan can post an .850 OPS vs. Righties. How many other guys on the roster have a good chance to do that? One, Prince Fielder. That alone means he'd have value. Whether you want to have him solely as a pinch hitter, or spot him at 3b and the corners is the only decision, imo.

Branyan needs to fluke his way into a .250 average in order to be an above average option.

With him being on the wrong side of 30, how much third base does he play these days? The few Nashville box scores I've checked had him as a first baseman.

I liked him for the Crew, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is in decline. His last few years in the majors were nothing to write home about. Plenty of power but such a low batting average leads to mediocre OBP's.

Branyan needs to fluke his way into a .250 average in order to be an above average option.

With him being on the wrong side of 30, how much third base does he play these days? The few Nashville box scores I've checked had him as a first baseman.

Branyan needs to hit .225 to be pretty darn valuable. He can still play 3b fine. And he can PH and play OF, too. Bottom line, he outhits all but one of the current roster vs. RH pitching.

Branyan needs to hit .225 to be pretty darn valuable. He can still play 3b fine. And he can PH and play OF, too. Bottom line, he outhits all but one of the current roster vs. RH pitching.

He hit .228 in '06 and put up a .327 OBP. His career line is .229/.327. Obviously he will always give you the slugging but the .327 OBP is pretty meh if you ask me.

Couple that with the fact that he didn't get any better last year and had a declining contact rate, it tells me that Russell's bat has slowed down some. A 32 year old beating up on AAA pitching means nothing to me.

He's fine AAA fodder. I still find Joe Dillon to be a much more preferable option to be the 25th man. I'd definitely take Branyan over Abe Nunez though. Unless a backup SS was needed.

But if Branyan or Abe Nunez were to get significant at-bats for the Brewers, that would definitely not be good.

Hopefully Branyan's still with the team come September - he would be a nice LH PH to come off the bench. Down by two or three with a couple of ducks on the pond and Branyan comes in as a PH vs. a righty... oooh, there would be some electricity there.

When the rosters expand the Brewers could potentially call up Branyan, Nelson, and Gamel. That would shore up their LH bat situation real quick.

• 3 weeks later...
It's tough to have 2 lefty bench players who are pretty much incapable of hitting a home run. I know that their Gwynn's defense is good, but it's hard to justify carrying Kapler and Gwynn when Branyan is just mashing AAA pitching right now. Remember back in that series against the Astros, when the bases were loaded, down 4, late in the game, pitcher's spot up... and Tony Gwynn is the pinch-hitter. Now would be a nice to time to have Branyan DH, as well.

Gwynn gets preferential treatment because of his last name. Face it the guy cant get the ball out of the infield and is a huge liability as a pinch hitter because of it. Im not the biggest Branyan fan in the world but at least he takes walks and has huge power.

Archived