Brewer Fanatic

The Return of 3TO (Ridiculously Raking in Nashville) [merged with Hall platoon thread]

SZBrewerFan
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Because 3TO transcends forums.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

because he's not a 'prospect'? He's a 28th~30th man of the major league roster more or less is my feeling. (not the first callup for injuries most likely, but if we're getting bit by the injury bug, he's a better guy to sit on the bench for a couple of weeks than messing with a prospect who needs the consistent playing time at AAA).

Up: Cameron, Branyan.

Down: Gwynn, Stetter (or sheets to retroactive DL).

We'd have Branyan as the "power" LH pinch hitter, and Counsell as the other LH PH. Branyan could also get a start a week at 3b until Billy starts hitting RH pitchers.

when kapler finally comes down to earth:

Up: Dillon

Down: Kapler (Hart becomes backup CF).

=======

I get the idea of combining threads, I just think you guys do it a bit too much. Sigh.

If the team needs Branyan to have a meaningful at-bat this year, it will be because things have gone drastically wrong (performance-related, or injury-related). So we can only hope he leaves all his strikeouts down in the minors and off the big league field.

Another great thing about Branyan is he can play 3B, 1B and OF.
Another great thing about Branyan is his 10-year career batting average of .229 and his 755 career strikeouts. Sign me up.

You throw those stats out like they actually mean anything. Branyan can be a productive player with a low BA and striking out. If the Brewers continue to struggle against right-handers, it may be in their interest to bring up Branyan and see if he still has anything. Branyan was actually quite valuable offensively in his two years in Milwaukee, with OPS+ of 115 and 125.

I'm psyched! This guy who did some things that never amounted to anything is back! Yeah! We will win the division now.

I don't know how that makes any sense. First, 2005 was the first year in awhile that the Brewers didn't have a losing record. Secondly, the platoon of Hall and Branyan at 3B was quite productive. Obviously, Branyan isn't with the Brewers because they think they have better talent. But if that talent doesn't translate to wins on the field, that division will fade away. I would prefer giving Branyan a shot before that happens.

Obviously, Branyan isn't with the Brewers because they think they have better talent.
Branyan isn't with ANYBODY because everyone has better talent. The guy flat out stinks. I don't understand the obsession. It's like a cult.

He doesn't stink. He hasn't had a season where he has stunk. Also, not everybody that likes Branyan as a backup/platoon option is in your cult. Some people just understand the value he brings beyond his battiing average.

In his career, Branyan has been a good offensive player. He's not good enough to be a starter in the outfield or first, and he may not look pretty at 3B (although the raw stats don't look bad), but he brings value that some don't see, or refuse to see.

Just like I don't understand the obsession with someone who can't hit and can't throw, but his father was good and he can run in track.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Just for a start, his last 2 seasons have indeed stunk. He has played for 4 teams in 2 seasons and in over 400 AB's, he has a batting average of .212. An OBP of .320.

I don't understand how people can't understand that there isn't one team in the entire league that thinks he's even good enough to be a part-time player. That's why he's in the minor leagues. Nobody wants him. He's not good enough. He never has been good enough. That's why he has played for 7 teams in 10 years.

Just like I don't understand the obsession with someone who can't hit and can't throw, but his father was good and he can run in track.
This has nothing to do with TGJ. I think he is nothing better than a 5th outfielder. I think most people would agree on that.

Just for a start, his last 2 seasons have indeed stunk. He has played for 4 teams in 2 seasons and in over 400 AB's, he has a batting average of .212. An OBP of .320.

I don't understand how people can't understand that there isn't one team in the entire league that thinks he's even good enough to be a part-time player. That's why he's in the minor leagues. Nobody wants him. He's not good enough. He never has been good enough. That's why he has played for 7 teams in 10 years.

Branyan's OPS+ the last two seasons are 113 and 96. That is above average and slightly below average. Why are you ignoring his slugging?

As for your comments about nobody wants him, and then being on 7 different teams, those contradict each other, don't they? There are 30 different reasons why Branyan isn't in the big leagues. Some teams have better players, some teams want to sign younger players, some teams may not understand his value. But just because no other teams wanted him as a starter has no relation to Branyan's future possible value to the Brewers, which is what this discussion should be.

But just because no other teams wanted him as a starter has no relation to Branyan's future possible value to the Brewers, which is what this discussion should be.
That's what this discussion is. In my opinion, for what that's worth, he has absolutely no value to the Brewers. My point about 7 teams in 10 years is from a distance everyone sees the slugging percentage and OBP that you see, but then they get him and realize that regardless of the numbers, you just can't afford to have him on your roster, so they waive him, and onto the next team who thinks that things will be different with them. 7 Teams later, (I would assume the other 25 teams knew from the start that he was no good) and nobody wants him. Which is evidence that he has no value to a Brewers roster trying to contend for the NL Central.

"7 Teams later, (I would assume the other 25 teams knew from the start that he was no good) and nobody wants him. Which is evidence that he has no value to a Brewers roster trying to contend for the NL Central. "

Are you serious? Is this a rule for all players, or does it only apply to Branyan? Did Kenny Lofton lose value when he got on his 7th team? Sheffield was on his 7th team last year, he did ok. I won't go further, because I have a hard time thinking this is a legitimate argument, and you are just flailing around, looking for a reason to support your unfounded dislike of Branyan.

I wasn't saying Branyan was a great defensive OF and 1B. I just said he can play those positions along with 3B.

If this was responding to what I said, I wasn't talking about his defense there, although I can see why you would read it that way. I meant that his bat isn't good enough to carry himself as a starter at those positions. His bat might be enough to start at 3B, and his defense seems passable there too.

he has absolutely no value to the Brewers.

What if Hall goes down? Would you like Counsell starting every day with no backup? Or see if Mat Gamel can do his best Ryan Braun impression at the hot corner?

Archived