Brewer Fanatic

The Return of 3TO (Ridiculously Raking in Nashville) [merged with Hall platoon thread]

SZBrewerFan
Yea, it's funny you posted that -- I was just thinking the same thing. I don't think that there's some 'wink-wink' agreement, but I do think that Melvin & Co. might worry about Hall's attitude if Branyan is brought up for a straight platoon... which wouldn't even need to be necessary, but clearly Melvin wants Gwynn on the roster as opposed to Branyan, which makes me question either his talent evaluation or his motives.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else think the reason they are not bringing up Branyan for a full platoon is that they don't want to do that to Billy after he's been very flexible with the organization moving from infield to outfield back to infield and not complaining a whole lot about it? I feel like giving him this many opportunities to figure it out against righties could be a way of "paying him back."

Now don't get me wrong here fellas I want 3T0 up here as much as anyone, but seems like something stupid like this could be playing a role?

That definitely seems plausible. Even so, if they are going to soft platoon Hall with Counsell, Branyan makes a much better choice in that instance, depth-wise.

As a bench player Branyan probably won't get close to 300-400 AB's this year (and if he does, that means the team has probably gone into the tank anyway or someone is injured and he's playing every day), but in the 150-200 or so AB's Branyan could see I believe he could contribute to the team more than any other guy on our bench could with that amount of AB's.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Personal loyalty like that is a good way to lose baseball games.

Exactly if Melvin refuses to bring up Branyan because of Hall's attitude toward it that is just wrong. Also the fact that Doug feels Gwynn belongs on the roster over Branyan that is also wrong.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Is this not exactly what we signed [branyan] for? In case Hall struggled and we needed to consider a platoon? Even if you call this year a fluke, Branyan is still a far better option against RHP than Counsell. For the life of me, I can't figure out what Melvin and Yost are thinking. I'm so tired of the "What if we need to get rid of him and he doesn't clear waivers??" argument from them.
Has management actually said those things? Or have they come from the taped glasses and pocket protector-wearing nerds on baseball message boards?

I guess I'm not really sure what you're asking. If you're asking if management has actually used the "What if??" arguments to justify not bringing up Branyan, then yeah. Melvin mentioned in reference to the Boston series that if it were a 9 game stretch against AL teams, they probably would have brought Branyan up, but since it was only 3 games, they didn't want to do that in case they had to send him back down and he didn't clear waivers.

As far as the specific reason that we signed Branyan, no, I doubt management came out and said before the season that he would be a platoon consideration if Hall struggled against righties -- they wouldn't say something like that. But considering he plays 3rd and hits righties, I can't imagine what any other reason would be. To fill out our AAA roster? The fact that they're worried about bringing him up in case he doesn't clear waivers on his way back down I would think pretty well implies that they have some interest in him potentially contributing.

I doubt management came out and said before the season that he would be a platoon consideration if Hall struggled against righties...
That's what I questioned; I was wondering if you remembered something that I missed. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

But I do concur that Hall's offensive performance last year could have easily been something considered by those sitting behind the front office's closed doors.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Why else would you sign Branyan?

Replacement in case of injury to Hall. If Hall were to go down for the season, Branyan would be the best option for a starter, maybe in a platoon with Dillon.

So, I guess we have to root for Hall to get hurt. Maybe this shouldn't be in blue.

Archived