Brewer Fanatic

The Return of 3TO (Ridiculously Raking in Nashville) [merged with Hall platoon thread]

SZBrewerFan

I honestly can't believe this hasn't been posted anywhere yet (if this needs to be moved until it is finalized please do) but the Brewers are on the verge of signing Brewerfan.net's very own cult-like icon Russell Braynan to a minor league deal! All I can say is when this happen there will be many smiling faces in this community!

(edit: added to title... signing official/reply#58 --1992. added tags -TC)

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the LINK.

And the text:

The Brewers are on the verge of signing veteran utility player Russell Branyan to a minor-league contract to help fill their roster at Class AAA Nashville. Branyan, 32, who played for the Brewers in 2004 and '05, split last season between Philadelphia, San Diego and St. Louis, batting .196 with 10 homers and 26 RBI in 163 at-bats.

"We told him it would be just for the minor leagues, at least right now," assistant general manager Gord Ash said.

That is a great move in my opinion. Not a single player of the perspective bench has much pop in their bat. Having a guy like Russel in AAA in case one of the big boppers goes down seems like a wise move, if he'll agree to it. He can play more than one position which helps as well.

I would venture a guess that he'll have one of those "out" clauses if he's not on the MLB team by such-and-such date and/or if another MLB club contacts him for a big-league job.

Otherwise, I'm kinda 50-50 on it. I like Branyan as a cult hero/icon but as a player he's not that good, 3TO or not.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'm thrilled to have someone that strikes out 40% of the time back on the team. Thats just what this team needs. The best thing about having Branyan is that patented walk after each and every strikeout. He slowly steps out of the batters box and then grabs the bat halfway up and walks at a crawling pace to the dugout. I just want to go tell him that there is a 40% chance he will strike out the next time he bats and should pick up the pace. It is nothing out of the ordinary.

http://fightingphils.mlblogs.com/my_weblog/images/branyan.jpg

What is so great about having him? Why is there such a love with this guy? For the Nickelback thread, 3TO << Nickelback and I hate Nickelback. If this was Wes Helms we were bringing back (like next year after the Phillies can't afford him), I would be thrilled. I love Wes Helms (seriously, my Yahoo ID is weshelmsfan18).

Archived