Brewer Fanatic

Top 10 GM's In Baseball

jjgott

For as much as I've not loved many pieces by Perry, that looks to be a pretty well-crafted list. Nice to see Melvin get some love, too!

Honestly, though, I'm not sure how Dombrowski isn't #1. Epstein doesn't have as much time on the job, and since day one he's had unlimited money. Dave D. is my vote for #1.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No love for Walk Jocketty?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jocketty retired didn't he. Oops.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

tigers have a 140 million payroll, so that's pretty close to unlimited. Do they have much of a minor league system left after the cabrera trade?

Dombrowski made his name as GM of the Marlins. He finally now has deep coffers, but proved himself tenfold with the penny purse down in Miami.

Post #23 by Tbadder.

Ten people here must have spent sometime with baseball organizations, to be up to par with most GMs. Yes they have a very good support system with them, but most of them have come from the support system and paid their dues.

It is easy to sit here and think you can make all the right calls as GM. I use to think I could do it. Then I played a fantasy baseball league that had a 40 man roster, and farm systems. We did everything like the do in the majors, but with two teams. I read every scouting report for minors and college players when it came time to draft players. After 5 years I had 1 league title and 5 division titles, but a ton of failures when it came to the young players. I read every respected guy out there when it came to scouting and still I know I did not have what it takes to be a GM.

These GMs spend a number of year in lower front office jobs learning the trade, scouring over tons of scouting reports, and understanding how a complete baseball team is run. I believe there are some here that could run the business side, but not sure anyone is here that could be a complete GM that could both business and baseball side. You have to be very good talent evalutaor to become a GM and then make very few mistakes in the hotseat to stay there.

i think cashman is the worst gm in baseball....he has so many busts its unreal

his signings rarely make sense

As I already mentioned, the earliest you can start calling them 'his' signings are from 2007... and even then Igawa was something more fueled by the Steinbrenner(s). Cashman had a deal that Vlad had agreed to sign... and Stein signed Sheffield behind Cash's back. I think anyone would agree that Cashman did a nice job in getting Vlad to agree to sign - unfortunately the meddlesome owner ruined his good work.

I think you can agree that Cashman did a nice job in getting some young arms (from Det.) for Sheffield, and in retaining their young SP talent, and in retaining A-Rod. It's just not as cut & dried as most people assume when it comes to Cashman's tenure in NY. Just like you can't judge a rebuilding team's GM on W-L record, to point to the Steinbrenner-driven FA signings as a way to analyze Cashman is flawed.

Archived