Brewer Fanatic

Rangers extend Kinsler 5 yr/$22M

Ennder

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3252512&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

I post this because Kinsler's value is probably in the same range as Weeks so it sort of sets the standards for a Weeks extension.

Second baseman Ian Kinsler has agreed to a five-year, $22 million contract with the Texas Rangers, according to a baseball source. The deal includes a club option for a sixth year that could increase the overall value of the package to $32 million.

The new contract will take Kinsler through three years of salary arbitration and his first year of free agency -- and possibly a second year if the Rangers exercise their $10 million club option.

I wonder if there's not a new unwritten baseball. "If you want me long term, you better buy me out short term."

I wonder how many of these "little" contracts the Brewers could dole out.

And if this is the new unwritten rule, then the Crew would seem to be on the hook for at least six of them eventually (Hart, Fielder, Braun, Gallardo, Hardy, Weeks). Could we really afford six contracts between 25 and 50 million?

Kinsler is also an above average defensive 2B and Weeks is a hack in the field. Wasn't really comparing the two guys just saying they have roughly the same value right now. Both are power/speed high upside 2B who have had some injury struggles. I would imagine if we were going to extend Weeks the deal would be similar to that one.

Archived