Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Observations

azcheesehead

Hi All,

I am a first time poster, and I look forward to all of the chat on brewerfan. I was at practice today and had a few observations. It was really nice to see everyone in practice today. Aside from Counsell, every player was in uniform and in high spirits. It was interesting to watch Braun go through outfield drills today. He looked a little uncomfortable IMO, but many of the players were giving him a lot of pointers during drills. Offensively, he has the same old power. A lot of the other outfielders (Gross, Hart, Kapler, Nix, Gwynn) were working on hitting to the opposite field just as Braun was, the only difference being Braun was depositing balls over the fence routinely. Gwynn however looked really good in his BP sessions today. I didn't see Cameron take any BP because he was taking his physical during workouts. Ben Sheets looked really good and he told me he thinks he is in the best shape of his life. Gagne wasn't speaking to anyone outside of the team, and when he was, it was in French to the French Canadian reporters. Overall it was really great to see everyone there and working out in the wonderful AZ weather. I think this team really has something special going.....

Great update azcheesehead! If you can make it to anymore workouts please post. Hope you can chat during the season as well.

Can you be a little more descriptive about Braun's struggles? Was it trouble going back on the ball, where it was going off the bat or just from lack of experience in your opinion?

Braun's troubles were due to inexperience I think. He was having trouble with some judgement. It's one thing to take fly balls of a jugs machine, but it is a whole different story when major league hitters are smoking rockets at you. It seemed to me most of his problems were moving laterally and getting to the ball. Sedar was with him the whole time in the outfield as he was fielding BP. On a similar note, I overheard Hart tell a coach that you had to really follow the ball off of the bat because the background was terrible for fly balls. I think Braun is going to be totally fine out there. He is a VERY good athlete and should be able to make the adjustment once he gets comfortable. Hopefully it doesn't take long!

Archived