Brewer Fanatic

If we assume Capuano makes the starting rotation, how long is his leash?

JohnBriggs12
I agree, he should earn his spot but looking at what he has done over the last year I don't think he has been good enough to stay in the rotation. If Yost isn't judging Cappy on his 6 ER in 2 IP today, than what is he basing it on? His 5.10 ERA and 1.49 WHIP from last year? Yost can't ignore the bad innings this spring and look at only good ones from Cappy when he has the majority of last season to see how bad Cappy is. If Yost is going to give it to the person who earns the spot, he should, but he has to base it off of something other than some streaks where Cappy was actually decent within the last few years.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"completely ignored the results of spring training" might be a bit extreme.

I just meant that they'd be better off than if the alternative is worrying about the results of about a week of spring training.

And everyone knows that this isn't an "open competition" in the strictest sense and they should be happy that it isn't. Why should we want management to ignore everything but a few weeks of spring training?

How bad does Cappy have to get before people will say he shouldn't be starting anymore? He had a good month last year, a good first half of 2006 before a below average second half, and an average first half to 2005. Cappy had his shot, and it's someone else's turn until he can prove he deserves to be in the rotation.
2005: 18 wins, 219 Innings, 176/91 K/BB Ratio, 3.99 ERA

2006: 11 wins, 221 1/3 Innings, 174/47 K/BB Ratio, 4.03 ERA

I'm not saying that Capuano should be given a free pass, but he certainly deserves a fair chance to win a spot in the rotation. I think if they just let him pitch a bit and he gets that stupid win in early April, he'd be fine for the rest of the year.

I understand people's frustration with him, but I wouldn't bash him. To have him as an option at a #4 or #5 starter is absolutely fantastic.

And if last years' struggles turn into long-term problems, action can be taken then. There are plenty of other starters that can take his place in the rotation if need be.

As Yost said its going to be a competition for those spots. If it's a fair competition and say Villanueava has a 1.50ERA with 25K in 15IP and doesnt make the rotation while Cappy has a 14.0ERA 25BB and he makes the rotation I'll lose it.

I realize you can't go completely on ST performances, but at the same time they shouldnt say its a competition either if its clearly not

I'm hoping you're saying it is apples to oranges because Turnbow did a decent job at a reliever and Cappy was mostly awful after the first month of last year.

Turnbow's extreme lack of control displayed in 2007 is far more concerning than Capuano having a lot of bad luck. Chris obviously didn't pitch his best, but it's getting frustrating imo for people to have to shout down those who aren't willing to look into his performance.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Interesting that Yost decided to comment on this very thing today in TH's Blog.

This sure sounds like Ned thinks its important for Cappy and Bush to show something in the spring to me.

Yost: Bush and Capuano must show something

By Tom Haudricourt

Friday, Mar 7 2008, 07:08 PM

Phoenix - You get the feeling that manager Ned Yost would like pitchers Chris Capuano and Dave Bush to make his pitching staff. And the Brewers certainly don't want to send down two pitchers making more than $6 million between them.

But Yost also told reporters after the Brewers' 9-8 exhibition victory over Texas today that Capuano and Bush need to start showing something in their next outings. Capuano allowed six runs in the third inning without recording an out, bumping his spring ERA to 18.00

Bush's spring ERA is 12.60 through two outings. Yost said it's too early in spring training to panic but also said the two pitchers need to get it going soon.

"Their next outings are going to be important," said Yost, expressing for the first time that Capuano and Bush need to show more in exhibition games. "We need to see them start getting back to what they naturally do best.

"Both are phenomenal competitors and their make-up is top-notch. But you still have to step on that mound and perform. That goes for everybody on our staff. You have to be able to make a pitch."

Yost said both pitchers get "some leeway" for past good deeds, though Capuano went from 5-0 to 5-12 with 18 consecutive winless starts in '07. Yost also noted that it's still early in spring training and no time to panic.

But, with five candidates in the running for the three spots in the rotation behind opening day starter Ben Sheets and Jeff Suppan, Yost said you can't go all spring without showing something.

"It's too early in spring training to panic and go crazy over that stuff," said Yost. "But I expect somewhere down the road to start seeing command sharpen up. If it doesn't, then we have to sit back and evaluate things. I won't sit here all spring and watch guys do that."

"It's too early in spring training to panic and go crazy over that stuff," said Yost. "But I expect somewhere down the road to start seeing command sharpen up. If it doesn't, then we have to sit back and evaluate things. I won't sit here all spring and watch guys do that."

One thing I think Ned does well is that, for the most part, he doesn't overreact to small-sample player performance (matchup-'playing' aside). Probably his strongest attribute, and why he's been so instrumental in helping to develop the young guys. I just hope Ned has grown along with them.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What managers definitely shouldn't do is react to spring training box score stats. Pitchers need to be graded based on what they're assigned to do on a given day. Those assignments frequently have to do with preparing for the season much more than they do with winning the game at hand.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I was listening to the game today and all I heard when Cappy was pitching was how he kept leaving the ball up in the zone. With his horrible fastball, he just can't do that. It wasn't even that he gave up 6 runs. The guy just doesn't have the stuff to be in our rotation when we have guys like Villy and Parra with more upside. I'm all for giving Cappy a chance because of his track record, but I don't think he'll be pitching too long in Milwaukee. I hope I'm wrong.

Leaving the ball up in the zone over a span of several spring games would be a cause for concern. Likewise, velocity would be a concern.

What definitely shouldn't concern managers is runs given up. Even walks could be misleading if a pitcher is assigned to work with a repertoire of pitches that aren't necessarily designed to win the game.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Cappy had a horrible spring training last year and then pitched well in April, and no matter how much better Parra is, I want to see Cappy start the year in the rotation to eat innings and save Parra for the 2nd half of the year. I wonder if he will be pitching at Miller Park for the home opener. At least it's against the light hitting Giants.

Archived