Brewer Fanatic

Gagne to talk to media today to address his involvement with Mitchell Report

bobskube

I fear that one thing Eric may find to still be 'minor-league' about Milwaukee is the caliber (or lack thereof) of sports journalism. Given past events, I see no way he gets any real hard-hitting questions. I hope this is over & done with today for the Milwaukee media. I really don't want to have to encounter stories about 3 years ago running during what should be a very enjoyable 2008.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I fear that one thing Eric may find to still be 'minor-league' about Milwaukee is the caliber (or lack thereof) of sports journalism. Given past events, I see no way he gets any real hard-hitting questions. I hope this is over & done with today for the Milwaukee media. I really don't want to have to encounter stories about 3 years ago running during what should be a very enjoyable 2008.

If I remember the J-S online story, he won't be taking any questions today.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=2/18/2008&id=35764

he just apologized for the distraction of being put in the mitchell report. i guess thats what you have to do since lying or telling the truth could have negative legal ramifications. i honestly hope that we don't have to deal with it, he shows he can pitch like how he did in texas and both sides win.

He definitely took the "high" road on that one.

I, for one, don't really care that much about it and would like to see it go away. In fact, let's try to move forward and have player's give blood tests from this point on and be done with it.

Agreed, bobskube. At this point, the players have zero credibility on which to stand and claim that their privacy would be invaded. Imo it'd be worth whatever court battles/work stoppages may result.

Great counterpoint. Count me in on that deal. I think the players will have no choice but submit to blood testing,if not immediately, at least the next CBA in a couple of years.

I don't think the player's union has the unilateral power it once did in terms of drug testing. The Clemens press alone has trashed that to pieces - as if it needed any more trashing. I'm just not convinced that MLB/MLBPA can stonewall this much longer.

It really isnt the steroids that they are worried about it is the fact that MLB would have the blood of the players and they are worried about MLB testing it for other drugs.

I have to ask - what's the big deal? Wouldn't it be helpful since many guys use other substances as masking agents? I don't think the test results should be looking for recreational drugs, and I'm sure that language could be agreed upon... then again, there's Don Fehr...

I don't want some horrificly strict, we-test-and-bust-you-for-any-drug policy, but resistance to blood testing at this point by MLBPA will be bad news for them imo. The players already look terrible since the Mitchell Report/Bonds saga/Clemens saga - where's the leverage to refuse it? They can no longer claim PED use/abuse is not a rampant problem.

They are going to hide behind the employee privacy act.

I cant remember who said it, but i heard them talking about blood testing and made it clear that they are worried about the PED they would find but the other drugs and what they would be able to do with that info. There is going to be alot of work needed in order to get blood testing into the next agreement.

There is going to be alot of work needed in order to get blood testing into the next agreement.

Agreed 100%, and as I mentioned earlier, I believe it's completely worth the effort.

Can't MLB do what the (iirc) NFL & NBA do... where the specific results are kept closed, but a pass/fail of the 'league substance abuse policy' is made public?

...the other drugs and what they would be able to do with that info

That's the kind of info I'd lobby to keep private or not allow MLB to punish (aside from perhaps extreme cases) for use/detection. Make the language pertain only to PEDs & drugs that are currently punishable.

I still don't understand why you have to bargain to halt an illegal act. The sale, possession and use of these drugs is illegal, so anyone selling, using or even possessing these drugs should be punished. Somewhere along the way this became a "bargaining chip." What's next, someone goes on a shooting binge in a clubhouse and the Union says that person can't be punished because it wasn't expressly forbidden in the CBA?

If there is evidence that illegal drugs are being used, and I don't think anyone can argue there's not significant evidence, players should be tested, it shouldn't have to be written into a contract. I'm not a government intervention kind of guy, but if there is evidence of illegal activity, and baseball won't police itself, the next step is going to be more government intervention and players getting arrested and thrown in jail. The best step baseball can take, and it seems to be the way things are going, is to make the penalty for doing PEDs so severe that it is not worth the risk. Also, since the players, the union and baseball in general have lost so much credibility on this subject, random drug testing has essentially become necessary, and it will probably have to be a neutral, outside company that manages the testing. You're never going to completely get rid of them, but you can make it much less of a problem.

As a final point, I don't think most players would have any objection to more stringent drug testing. The main reason for anyone to have a problem with it is that they have something to lose, aka they're doing drugs. Unfortunately, since the Union feels drug testing is a major bargaining chip, no players can openly discuss their displeasure with the current system, which increases distrust. When Clemens mentioned that the Union pressured players not to talk with Mitchell, some on the Congressional panel got furious, and basically asked "what are they trying to hide?"

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

"I'm here today to talk to you guys to let you know I feel bad for my family and what they had to go through, and all my friends, and especially my teammates here in Milwaukee," said Gagne. "I think it's a distraction that shouldn't be taking place. I'm just here to help the Milwaukee Brewers get to the World Series and get to the playoffs. That's all I really care about."

Honestly, he called a press conference for THAT?! What a waste of time. . .

I don't want to hear from another one of these cheaters unless they include a full detailed account of what they used and when. Anything short of that, forget it. "It's a distraction" because you're a drug using cheater, who is only making this statement because you were outed, and now want to appear remorseful. Too bad, it didn't work.

I stopped caring about the "steroid" issue a while ago. I wish the media would stop as well and focus more on Spring Training.

Amen to that. It is what it is, and it was a bad thing. But that doesn't mean we should dwell on if forever. The whole era is tainted now. Lets just move on. I forgive you Mr. Gagne, in fact if you pitch the way I think your capable of you will make many forget you were even in that report.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

"I'm here today to talk to you guys to let you know I feel bad for my family and what they had to go through, and all my friends, and especially my teammates here in Milwaukee," said Gagne. "I think it's a distraction that shouldn't be taking place. I'm just here to help the Milwaukee Brewers get to the World Series and get to the playoffs. That's all I really care about."

Honestly, he called a press conference for THAT?! What a waste of time. . .

I don't want to hear from another one of these cheaters unless they include a full detailed account of what they used and when. Anything short of that, forget it. "It's a distraction" because you're a drug using cheater, who is only making this statement because you were outed, and now want to appear remorseful. Too bad, it didn't work.

No, he called a press conference because the media keeps bugging him about it and he has to hold one to appease them.

Personally I could care less about steroids, players have cheated in professional sports in every era of the game. This isn't some new shocking thing and it isn't going to stop teams from finding an edge somewhere. It is just a reality of profession sports.

I'm glad they are cleaning up the game, I hope they find a viable way to do blood tests but I'm not going to crucify a single player who did what a ton of players were also doing.

I believe this is the translated version of Gagne's French apology:

"I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."

(If you don't get it:

)

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived