Brewer Fanatic

retro fridays

patrickgpe
haven't heard a peap if the 80's alternates are coming back or not. Does anyone know if they are or not. To be honest i wouldn't be upset if they didn't. It was a great novelty the first year and it was cool to honor the 82 team last year, but we really need to start making our own memories and bringing out 82 players every weekend doesn't help that. just wondering. i know there has been announcements and the winter warmup the last 2 season and i haven't heard anything.

Honestly I hope they don't come back. Keep selling the merch thats cool with me and I even own some. But don't continue to wear it out on the field.

That's the way I feel. They keep harping on the old uniforms 25 years ago from the last time the team was good. I don't even think the uniforms are all that great anyways.

I was thinking about this the other day. I figure if they were going to bring it back they'd have announced it by now. I definitely won't miss it, personally.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I think the Brewers can make more money by having the team wear original Brewers uniforms instead of the '82s for a while on turn back the clock and retro nights. The fans have their '82 stuff and if they see the team in the original Brewers uniforms they will buy original Brewers hats.

Ahhh turn back the clock night...... I myself would LOVE to see the Brewers honor the franchise's origins and pull out the old Pilots uniforms... I got me a poster/plaque thing on my wall of the uni's the franchise has used over the years, and the Pilots is the only one I havent seen in person.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Ahhh turn back the clock night...... I myself would LOVE to see the Brewers honor the franchise's origins and pull out the old Pilots uniforms... I got me a poster/plaque thing on my wall of the uni's the franchise has used over the years, and the Pilots is the only one I havent seen in person.

I actually saw the Brewers play the Twins up here on a Turn Back the Clock night when the Crew wore the Pilots uniforms. First game I took my wife to, which puts that back around 2000. Why do I think I remember Alex Diaz in CF? I think the Brewers won, too, but someone will probably point out all my references (year, Diaz, win) to be off the mark. Anyway, I was there....

The other thing is this: I think I remember hearing around Winter Warmup time that they definitely are continuing the Retro Fridays thing. While maybe they're not trumping it up so big, I think they'd be making a bigger deal about it if they hadn't decided to continue them.

I've felt this way since long before those duds were unleashed again a few years ago......I've loved the Brewers since 1980 and have fond memories of that era. I love the MB logo. But I like the current duds much better and would only hope to see the MB logo appear in the current color scheme on an alternate home hat (a la the Twins) or as a permanent sleeve patch opposite the M/barley/Wisconsin patch. I'd already had way too much of the "living in the past" that became almost obnoxiously pervasive when they unveiled the '82 retro duds to the point where I vowed I would not ever buy that jersey -- and I love buying jerseys!

I wish I could see some of Colbyjack's cool renderings from the pre-Retro Sunday announcement 2 years ago. Some of those were especially cool.

I'm kind of indifferent to the old uniforms which I thought were ugly. However I think it's good to remember stuff; baseball is about history. I'd commerate the old uniforms from all the past Milwaukee teams including Braves, Brewers, Bears, etc. I'd like to commerate the Barrell guy, and Bonnie Brewer, etc. I'd sprinkle them throughout the stadium on walls, on the scoreboards, heck I'd like to see the grass cut ocassionally in the Pilot's old logo or Earl Gillespie's face. Little things like that would be cool in my book. I know a lot of it would be time comsuming, but it would tell a story about the franchise and baseball in Milwaukee. Didn't I hear that the original Brewers became the Baltimore Orioles or the St. Louis Browns. If true, I think the casual fan and the young fan should be encouraged to know such things.

I went to quite a few games last year, and was amazed at how many fans, regardless of the day of the week, were wearing the retro uniforms (mostly the home pinstripes, but a few road blues, too). I'd say I saw more retro pinstripes than all three "flavors" of the current uniforms combined.

And I'm ok with that. I think the retros are really sharp. I'm glad the team brought them back, and I hope they keep them, and Retro Fridays, around for a while. There's room for well-placed nostalgia while the team continues to create their own legacy. And a deep run into the playoffs would likely make the whole overuse-of-1982 thing moot, anyway.

I myself would LOVE to see the Brewers honor the franchise's origins and pull out the old Pilots uniforms...
I grabbed this out of my Yuku profile:

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/f173501a53e5495157a44b620d6a5d23fd299eb.jpg

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived