Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo: torn cartilage, surgery, out 4 weeks (Latest: Conflicting March 10th reports... what to believe? See reply #98)

Weeks4MVP
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pitchers are also throwing more pitches per plate appearance / pitches per inning. And with slugging percentages being significantly higher in recent years, pitchers are in stressful situations quite a bit more often than years ago.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

ozzybourne wrote:

thats old school. it's interesting to go back 15 years or more and see how many pitchers went 250-300 innings or more for many consectutive years in a row with no arm problems. look at stats for nolan ryan, seaver jenkins, early clemens, carlton, etc.

What I was trying to say was that he pitched enough innings last year that any increase would be within tolerable levels. All those guys you refered to also are better than the average pitcher. Not exactly within the norm.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

i'd love to hear some reasons why pitchers today pitch fewer innings and are more fragile. crazy (train).

I would say more like 20 to 25 years ago those guys were throwing. Jenks retired in 83, Ryan last pitched in 93, Seaver was in 86.

There are many different theries to why pitchers dont last that long anymore. I tend to believe that these guys get babied because of the big money they are getting and teams are so scared to over work them. Lot of kids now days dont throw a lot of long toss that builds up the arm strength needed to hammer out a ton of innings.

(pared back long nested quote --1992)

From today's article:

"He injured the knee at the end of a bullpen session near his Texas home, saying he landed awkwardly after one delivery. The knee didn't get any better on a 14-hour drive to Phoenix."

"I felt great the whole offseason," Gallardo said. "It just stinks that this happens the day before we get going here.""

No offense Blazer, but until there's good reason to think otherwise, I'll choose to believe that Yo isn't blatantly lying about things.

I've probably said or insinuated too much already. But I'm 99% sure this didn't happen in a bullpen session.
What is your motivation for remaining silent on the topic without giving further details?

Last year we had the conversation about how someone met Doug Davis in a bar in Eau Claire and Doug was talking about how his arm was "cashed".

It obviously didn't go anywhere. I don't think Doug hunted down the source and killed him or anything.

Even if you heard that he engages in a particular dangerous activity (such as motorcross), that provides no real basis to assume that is how he hurt his knee. He may partake in activities that are not in his best interests - but that might be completely unrelated. You never said anything about hear that this particular activity was the cause.

I'm with Team Canada.

There are many different theries to why pitchers dont last that long anymore.
what about all the training, doctors, nutrition, video,etc. it is interesting though. maybe they don't last as long because of the more extensive scouting, film work, type of pitches, ...

here is a link that shows innings leaders in the al and nl for a few years back. this might make an interesting thread. we could go back to 5 man pitching staffsif we hired the guys from the 1890's--how much money would a 600 inninings pitcher per year make?

www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/IP_leagues.shtml

(pared back nested quote --1992)

what about all the training, doctors, nutrition, video,etc. it is interesting though. maybe they don't last as long because of the more extensive scouting, film work, type of pitches, ...
It is nice to think that scouting, correct diet, and video would keep guys from injury. But it doesnt happen, they have made advances in the training but these guys are still playing with muscles and bones.

(pared back nested quote --1992)

Blazer25: I read what you wrote yesterday insinuating that Yo was involved in some kind of unethical or unwise offseason behavior, but that you were unwilling to tell what that behavior is or who your source is. The more I think about it, the more I conclude that this is really distasteful and doesn't belong in the public domain. It is one thing to protect your source as if you were a journalist, but to impugn and defame a player with unspoken "I know something you don't know..." is not appropriate.

I don't think you are a bad person, I just think that you have used poor judgment on this one. You shouldn't be able to have it both ways by libelling a person with innuendo, but not giving others a chance to judge for themselves or giving Yo a chance to defend himself.

I think it's only fair to point out that Blazer's credibility level on something like this is extremely high, right? It's up to him as to how he wants to respond to these comments, obviously - but the guy isn't doing this to just be outspoken. His desire to 'protect his source' is more of a professional requirement. Perhaps I've spoken out of turn here, but I don't think it's very accurate to be calling into question his perceived motives or judgment.

Seemingly every year, there are plenty of examples of 'injuries' that professional athletes report due to concerns about contractural obligation(s). If a setback was incurred while partaking in an activity that's expressly prohibited in either contract language or team rules, the player has to lie about it, or risk his livelihood.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree with LS Brewer. If you want to protect your sources simply do not bring anything up in the first place. No reason to post I know some inside info that makes Gallardo look bad but I can't tell you what it is. That just isn't good for anybody.

I don't know why the source is even an issue. the issue is what gallardo was supposed to have been doing. If he was wrestling in Mexico under the name "Yo Bullo", just say that. Surely whatever he was doing, there isn't only one possible source for the info.

I agree with LS Brewer. If you want to protect your sources simply do not bring anything up in the first place. No reason to post I know some inside info that makes Gallardo look bad but I can't tell you what it is. That just isn't good for anybody
Fair enough.

I will not comment on the topic further and you can consider my previous comments retracted.

I will just say that TLB's statements here:

Seemingly every year, there are plenty of examples of 'injuries' that professional athletes report due to concerns about contractural obligation(s). If a setback was incurred while partaking in an activity that's expressly prohibited in either contract language or team rules, the player has to lie about it, or risk his livelihood.
Are the primary reasons which prevent me from sharing all that I may or may not know. I have no interest in ruining anyone professionally and sometimes I have to walk a fine line between being a participant in a fan site such as this and having some inside information or perspective.

Hope you understand.

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhat conflicting reports from the JS online today...

This is what Tom H. listed in his Camp Report (Dated 3/10)...

Injury report: Right-hander Yovani Gallardo continues to make slow progress in his recovery from arthroscopic knee surgery. Gallardo is not close to pitching in games, however, and almost certainly will begin the season on the disabled list. :-(

Then this is what he listed in his most current blog...

Phoenix - Young right-hander Yovani Gallardo will take a big step foward in his comeback from knee surgery Wednesday morning when he pitches some live batting practice to hitters in the minor-league camp.

Gallardo has been throwing lightly off the mound since having torn cartilage removed from his knee at the start of camp. Facing hitters is the next step in the progression of getting him back in the starting rotation, which probably will happen in mid-April.

"He's right on schedule," said manager Ned Yost. :-)

Either way the latter is great news!!!

I wouldn't say that contradict themselves at all... One is saying that he isn't close to pitching in games and will start the season on the DL and the other is saying that he'll be taking a big step (throwing to live hitters, different from pitching in a game) to show he's on the right path but still won't be ready til mid-April (which means he'll probably start the season on the DL). Now the blog report sounds much more optimistic than the injury report but they are saying basically the same things.

edit: and apparently I can't read because the original poster said conflicting not contradicting.... whoops

Archived