Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo: torn cartilage, surgery, out 4 weeks (Latest: Conflicting March 10th reports... what to believe? See reply #98)

Weeks4MVP
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i still think if the brewers can trade a starter for mid-level prospects they should. Parra can start the season up here instead of Nashville and continue to get some major league experience and we can possibly replace players link inmann in the system.

i still think if the brewers can trade a starter for mid-level prospects they should. Parra can start the season up here instead of Nashville and continue to get some major league experience and we can possibly replace players link inmann in the system.

Why would we give up a SP for a mid level prospect now? Brewers are down one SP right now to start the season, if all goes well he is back in the first couple weeks. If he has a setback and another SP goes down this team is starting to be real thin at SP. There is no need to move a SP at this point.

While starting pitching depth is a good thing, let's keep in mind that replacing Gallardo with any of the 5th starter candidates is not exactly an even swap. Though over a minimal number like 2 or 3 starts the difference may not come into play. Personally, I'd like to see Parra take his starts with a rotation of Sheets, Villanueva, Suppan, Bush and Parra. I'd leave Capuano in the pen and move one reliever or Vargas. Then when Yo comes back, they would simply have to option Parra.

Personally, I'd like to see Parra take his starts with a rotation of Sheets, Villanueva, Suppan, Bush and Parra. I'd leave Capuano in the pen and move one reliever or Vargas. Then when Yo comes back, they would simply have to option Parra.

This is exactly what I'd like to see. I'd like to keep Vargas and Cappy in the pen too. Why not have 2 guys that can go multiple innings and spot start if needed, one lefty and one righty. That leaves 5 spots for the pen. Gagne, Riske, Turnbow, Shouse, Torres, (Mota). I think I'd rather have Vargas in the pen over Mota. That's what I'd like to see, but I think Cappy will start in the rotation with Parra at AAA. For some reason I feel like even if Parra throws well in ST he will still end up in AAA. Not saying that's wrong, I can't argue being cautious and patient with him. But it's tempting to give him a shot though especially if he "earns it in ST."

Why would we give up a SP for a mid level prospect now? Brewers are down one SP right now to start the season, if all goes well he is back in the first couple weeks. If he has a setback and another SP goes down this team is starting to be real thin at SP. There is no need to move a SP at this point
Melvin has said he would look into doing that, i believe on 1250. I know the loss of Yo hurts, my point though is that if we can get a "linebrink like" deal we should still look into it despite the loss of Yo for the first couple weeks of the year.

And so it begins...

Our weakest position becomes weaker. Well, at least we have lots of lousy starters to provide depth.

I agree about keeping Parra up now. He's our second best starter and there's no stashing him away in AAA now. Suppan's now our #2...interesting.

I hope they take all the time needed and then some for this injury.

If by weakest you mean deepest, yes now it only runs 7 deep instead of 8. 7 viable starters is a huge amount, most teams have 4. And this is for like 3-5 starts.

The one thing this does do is it makes it easier to option either Bush or Capuano when Yo comes back getting another service year.

just hypothesizing and all, but could this be like a Krynzel mini-motor cycle type deal?

What was Yo doing during the off season (I say Matador in Mexican bull fights), and why does the staff find out about this condition only now?

They found out about it now because it happened now. He hurt it and the knee swelled up that day. It wasn't a "condition", just something that happened while practicing.

At least this should ensure that Villanueva is in the starting rotation to open the season. And we can wait to trade Vargas; Bush starts in the rotation with Cappy/Suppan/Villy/Sheets, Vargas as the long man out of the pen. Maybe we can get something worthwhile for Vargas if he puts together some decent innings in relief. I still don't think the Brewers will go with Parra over Bush unless Manny just sparkles in ST ala Villy in 2007.

Team Canada wrote:

They found out about it now because it happened now. He hurt it and the knee swelled up that day. It wasn't a "condition", just something that happened while practicing.

My knees aren't even close to Major League baseball player caliber knees, and I could stand on a mound after months of inactivity, throw heaters and not tear cartilage in my knees requiring surgery. (though i'd probably blow out my shoulder after a while). I'm not trying to stir the pot I'm just wondering.

If by weakest you mean deepest, yes now it only runs 7 deep instead of 8.
I guess that's exactly what I mean even though it seems counterintuitive. Gallardo is clearly better than any pitcher on our staff with the exception of Benny. So even though we've got lots of pitches to throw at the #2 spot in the rotation, each one is a significant downgrade. And if the injury takes more time than expected the staff will have very little margin of error. And considering that Benny's problems last year was the beginning of the end for the Crew we have to hope that this injury isn't chronic--although nothing at this point would point to that kind of conclusion.

If by weakest you mean deepest, yes now it only runs 7 deep instead of 8.
I guess that's exactly what I mean even though it seems counterintuitive. Gallardo is clearly better than any pitcher on our staff with the exception of Benny. So even though we've got lots of pitches to throw at the #2 spot in the rotation, each one is a significant downgrade. And if the injury takes more time than expected the staff will have very little margin of error. And considering that Benny's problems last year was the beginning of the end for the Crew we have to hope that this injury isn't chronic--although nothing at this point would point to that kind of conclusion.

Yes they aren't as good, but the dropoff to a Bush or Capuano is much smaller than a similar drop off if Weeks or Fielder went down. Basically your goign to above average to average instead of above average/elite to slightly above replacement level.

Team Canada wrote:

My knees aren't even close to Major League baseball player caliber knees, and I could stand on a mound after months of inactivity, throw heaters and not tear cartilage in my knees requiring surgery. (though i'd probably blow out my shoulder after a while). I'm not trying to stir the pot I'm just wondering.

During Spring Training, especially early in ST, pitchers work a lot on defensive skills, such as fielding bunts and covering bases. When I read about the injury it sounded to me like he was doing fielding drills, and did not hurt it while pitching.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived