Brewer Fanatic

Why do most of you hate Nickelback?

sheetswannabe
People here hate Nickelback because it is the cool thing to do and it seems impressive to hate a popular band. I will be a rebel and state that I like Nickelback.

I know we have not agreed on most things, but I think you are DEAD on here. I'm not a huge Nickelback fan. In fact, I'm pretty indifferent to them, just as I am most music I'm not a fan of. By the way some people here talk about them, you'd think Chad Kroeger kills puppies and steals ice cream from small children.

They aren't a "great" band, and I don't think they try to be.They are what they are. I know when one f their songs comes on the radio, I don't mind it. I'd rather listen to that than some of the other crap they are playing on the radio now (most rap, Timbaland, Feist, Fergie and John Mayer included)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly do not dislike any of their stuff. I agree with the above, worrying about music dislike seems rather high on the ol' list here.

I have always enjoyed Bon Jovi, and I think N-back might well compare to BJ's early stuff. They're laughing all the way to the bank, that's for sure.

I do not like Nickleback for a few reasons.

1. I do not like bland rock and roll.

2. I hate the lead singers voice.

3. Their songs sound the same.

4. Their songs are overplayed.

5. Their songs arouse zero feeling or emotion from me.

It is not because I am a music snob, it is because when I listen to their music it does nothing for me. When I am in a bar and I hear "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" it makes me laugh, but I don't freak out. It is the same when I hear Nickleback, I think, "all sounds the same," and move on. I have never in my life cared about what people thought about the music I listen to. If you go home and jam to some Nickleback that is cool, if you think Nickleback is the greatest band in the world thats cool too. But you have the right to think that as much as I have the right to think Nickleback is bland and shallow.

Has N-back ever been called a Christian rock band? Many feel Creed is, just unannounced due to the popular death of Jesus pop.

I listen mainly to Christian rock, and due to lyrics, to me, they'd NEVER be considered Christian rock. Many people felt Creed was because of their lyrics, and because Scott Stapp did say in interviews that he's a Christian and that was where the wonderings began. Nickleback is NOT Christian music in any size, shape or form.

The same is true of Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin. The three of them toured together last year and it was probably the worst tour of all-time (in terms of sheer awfulness). I just cannot believe that people listen to this crap and enjoy it. They all act like they are tough but in reality, they blow.
I think you just don't like that type of music because their songs are not similar. I would agree Nickelback is guilty of playing similar songs to a degree but not on the other two you mentioned.

I wasn't saying that Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin are like Nickelback in that all their songs sound the same. I said they are like Nickelback in the fact that they suck and they try to be harder than they really are. Three Days Grace trys to be angry with songs like (I Hate) Everything About You but yet the actual sound is catchy, radio-friendly crap. Three Days Grace rivals Nickelback in the awful lyric department for sure.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

People here hate Nickelback because it is the cool thing to do and it seems impressive to hate a popular band. I will be a rebel and state that I like Nickelback.

I think it's more likely that people hate things more when they can't escape exposure to them. There are bands worse than Nickelback, but they're probably performing in some bar in a suburb of Tulsa right now, so they don't bug me nearly as much.

Most of my favorite albums went gold or platinum, so it's not like I hate everything that's popular, it's just than when I dislike something that's popular I dislike it way more because I'm constantly exposed to it.

Three Days Grace trys to be angry with songs like (I Hate) Everything About You but yet the actual sound is catchy, radio-friendly crap. Three Days Grace rivals Nickelback in the awful lyric department for sure.
How do you know they want to be an angry band? I have a feeling you do not listen to much of their music because most of it is not like that ONE song. I think the main issue is people do not like these bands because they are popular and on the radio everytime. Sometimes their songs get played just because who they are and not necessarily on how good they are.

I was just giving one example. "Just Like You" is another example of an awful song by them. And being on the radio has nothing to do it. I love popular music, I just hate terrible music. And these are both examples of terrible music.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

It was touched on earlier somewhere in the thread, but the thing about Nickelback is that they came out and had a decent pop-rock sound. Their first album and to a certain extent their second were ok. But then they just decided that everyone liked those songs, so that's the only sound we can possibly produce from now on. They never innovated or changed a thing, and then continued to get massive airplay, which leads to overkill, and a backlash. Their lyrics certainly leave a lot to be desired, and so there are multiple reasons that one might not like them. I certainly can't say that I like them, mostly beacuse they are boring.

I don't know that I've ever heard a Nickelback song except in advertisements but criticizing a band for sophomoric or trite lyrics is a slippery slope to head down, imo.

Bad boy rock,bad boy roll,
Gabba gabba,see them go,
C,Jay now hit the gas,
Hear Marky kick some ass,
Go Johnny,go, go, go Tommy o-way-o

I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and smoke dope
'Cause I know I can cope
Laugh at the thought of eating ludes
Laugh at the thought of sniffing glue
Always gonna keep in touch
Never want to use a crutch

Crazy, but thats how it goes

Millions of people living as foes
Maybe its not to late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate

Back in black
I hit the sack
I've been too long I'm glad to be back
Yes, I'm let loose
From the noose
That's kept me hanging about
I've been looking at the sky
'Cause it's gettin' me high

The first verse is the Ramones, the 2nd is Minor Threat, the 3rd is Ozzy Osbourne, and the 4th is AC/DC. Those were just four songs with stupid lyrics that came to mind. That said, I still like all these songs and artists. You could argue that the Ramones were being stupid on purpose with those lyrics, but the point is that stupid lyrics alone aren't enough to condemn a band, imo.

That said, all 4 of the groups listed had some long-term artistic merit. The Ramones were a progenitor of punk, Minor Threat started the straight edge movement, and Ozzy Osbourne and AC/DC have had a large influence on hard rock and heavy metal. Nickelback is unlikely to have any influence in 5 or 10 years simply because they (and plenty of similar bands) are merely vehicles to sell records (not that many bands ever objected to selling lots of records). Cynical, I guess, is the word I would use to describe much of the current pop scene.

nice avatar

Thanks, I figured with march madness coming up, Bo Ryan should get his game face on. I really couldn't find a good picture with his blank stare.....the one where he shows no teeth and looks right through you. This was the best I could do.

I am still waiting for somebody to call them sellouts. There is a really good Tool song about that.

Wait no longer. They're sellouts.

Referring back to page 1 of this thread, I'm a music elitist. I love Beethoven and Haydn, and I don't care for Mozart.

They write music that appeals to the masses because the masses don't want to have to think about what they're listening to. Music is meant to be thought about and explored, not used as background noise. I know about a million people that could both write and perform the kind of crap that's put out there by most pop rock bands, and the reason is because it's so incredibly simple. It's 2 or 3 power chords and some painful singing sounds. That's the reason so little of this music stands the test of time; it gets annoying and forgotten so easily because there really isn't much to remember.

If you want to listen to music and not think about it, then Nickleback is for you. But John Cage would be very disappointed in you.

"It is better to make a piece of music than to perform one, better to perform one than to listen to one, better to listen to one than to misuse it as a means of distraction, entertainment, or acquisition of 'culture'."

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

"It is better to make a piece of music than to perform one, better to perform one than to listen to one, better to listen to one than to misuse it as a means of distraction, entertainment, or acquisition of 'culture'."

John Cage just explained why I hate Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Well said, sir!

Archived