Brewer Fanatic

Marlins, Miami reach agreement for new $515 million ballpark

trwi7

I would have thought a few lawn chairs would have been enough to hold all of their fans.

The Marlins still do have a good amount of loyal fans, but it's a little much to ask them to drive 40 minutes outside the city of Miami every night for a game, especially if rain delays are likely most nights early in the season. I think this ballpark will do wonders for their attendance numbers, especially since it's going to actually be in the city and have a retractable roof. Who knows...by the time Hanley Ramirez gets through with arby, they might actually have the cash to sign him longterm with the help of this stadium.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

This is very good news for the team and it's fans. The stadium is going to be in a good location. I also like the name change to the Miami Marlins. It could help the local populace develop even more of a personal connection with the team.

Hearing that they will now be called Miami Marlins reminds me of that scene in Back to the Future 2 where Marty sees that the Cubs beat Miami to win the world series in 2015. Everytime I watch that scene I have a good laugh. Even Hollywood thinks the Cubs are a joke.

Good for the Marlins though on getting a new stadium. Hopefully they'll get people to show up.

good for this team. i always wondered why a 2 time WS winnig team from a major city didn't draw better. hope this helps.

there is a big population in s.fla., and with good weather all year/spring training facilities, you'd think a big baseball fan base should exist. PLUS-another dome in MLB.

(removed nested quote; post stands on its own --1992)

Archived