Brewer Fanatic

Mike Jones?

BillHall02
I know this topic has been beaten to death in the past, and that by now most figure that he is done, but I can't help but pull for this guy to someday crack the Majors, if only for a cup of coffee. Seeing Para make the comeback makes me want it even more for Jones and Rodgers. Does anyone know where or if he will be playing next year? I know he was DFA'd a while back, but I didn't hear anything beyond that. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

In mid-October last year, after clearing waivers, Jones re-signed with Milwaukee on a minor league deal. To be honest, I hadn't thought about that name in a while (only six starts with Huntsville in '07). Yeah, he could become an interesting story this season, or a spring training release. The answer most likely is smack in the middle.

Yeah. I certainly hope he makes it interesting. If he gets his stuff back he's still young enough that he could become a factor in the bullpen in the future. With all the money we have invested in our current pen, I would love to have some young arms make their way up the system so we can reallocate some of that money to long-term contracts for the young guys

Does he start the year out as a SP or does he go to A+ and become a closer from day one this year?? IMO i would love to see him start this year and see if his stuff is back. If it is move him to AA or AAA and move him to the pen and give him a shot..

• 1 month later...

Real Sports had a very interesting piece this week on pitching mechanics work by former Cy Young winner and current MD Mike Marshall, I couldn't help but think of the long list of Brewer power arms that have flamed out with shoulder and arm problems. The mechanics he's come up with are radical compared to what we've all learned, and not so surprisingly, no one cares about what he's preaching. He charges the atheletes he works with peanuts and most everything on his website is free. I was captivated by the piece.

Dr Mike Marshall's Website

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Good bullpens are built with guys like Jones, if he can have a decent year (at AA?) and stay healthy he'll get a shot at some point. A guy with his stuff still has plenty of time to make an impact in somebody's pen. Just look at guys the Brewers threw out there last year: Acquino, Dessens, Spurling... if those guys can pitch in the majors, Jones will be given every chance to succeed at some point.

Marshall isn't an M.D., he's a Ph.D. He always had different ways of doing things, which worked well for him. It would be great with guys like him in the bullpen--you'd only need a 4 man bullpen.

Good bullpens are built with guys like Jones, if he can have a decent year (at AA?) and stay healthy he'll get a shot at some point. A guy with his stuff still has plenty of time to make an impact in somebody's pen. Jones will be given every chance to succeed at some point.

The Brewers(Gord Ash) has called into question Jones work ethic and his toughness, so I don't know how many chances the Brewers have left to give him.

It'd be great though if he could get it back. He had great stuff. He could solve our closer problem for years to come, but I'm more confident that duty may fall to a Mark Rogers, Jeremy Jeffress then Jones.

Archived