Brewer Fanatic

60 Hr's for Braun???

Giraldo8

Gammons was on Mike and Mike today and was talking about steroids and the Clemens stuff. He then mentioned that if Prince, Ryan Howard or Ryan Braun hit 60 Hr's are people going to believe they were clean. He went on to say players union and owners need to clear this up ASAP. My question is Braun really a threat to ever hit 60 Hr's in a season? I guessed 45-50 was his max.

Thoughts?

My question is Braun really a threat to ever hit 60 Hr's in a season?
I wouldn't think there is anyone that's necessarily considered a "threat" to hit 60 Hr's. Hitters can be legitimate 40-50 Hr guys, but I don't think you'll ever hear that someone is a "60 HR guy". I tend to think if a guy is considered a threat to hit 40-50, he has the power to possibly hit 60. I would think a guy who normally hits 45 would have a better chance of hitting 60 than a guy that normally hits 5 has of hitting 20...if that makes sense.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

if you think 2007 was a fluke, then you don't think braun can hit 60. If you think it was representative of his true ability, factoring in a full-season and development of power over time, and 60 seems a real possibility sometime in the next few years.

The question you have to ask yourself is do you really want Braun or Fielder to hit 60? I say no, because last year we led the majors in dingers, and we only won 83 games. I would rather have the players more focused on situational hitting.

but surely there were other factors involved in the team's lack of success? Home run hitting does not equal losing.

The question you have to ask yourself is do you really want Braun or Fielder to hit 60? I say no, because last year we led the majors in dingers, and we only won 83 games. I would rather have the players more focused on situational hitting.

there is nothing a batter can do in any situation that is more favorable than hitting a homerun. well, except maybe making a quick out to ensure the game is official when a rain delay is imminent.

I like how two Brewers were mentioned as capable of hitting 60 HR.
They mentioned me!?!

For the record, on ESPN.com chats this week - both Jim Callis and Keith Law where asked the same question; "90 HR combined for Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun - Over/Under?"

They both took the under.

It takes a miraculous season to hit 60 HR. I'd be pretty surprised (pleasantly if it was in a Brewers uni) if Prince ever did it...I'd be shocked if Ryan ever did. To me, they're both too much complete hitters to ever hit 60 HR, if that makes sense. Both seem like the kind of guy who'll do what he can with the pitch he's given...if a pitch is there for him to pull, he'll pull it, but he won't go out of his way to hit a HR in every at bat like Sammy Sosa or Mark McGwire did.

With that said, I would be less shocked if Ryan Howard ever put up 60, especially considering his home ballpark. He's more of an all-or-nothing type hitter than Prince is, and you could argue that he has a little more pop in his bat than Prince does (I think Prince has him in raw strength, but Howard generates a ton of bat speed and I think he generates more power from his swing).

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Braun was on a 48 HR pace for a full season last year (as a 23 year old rookie). Assuming he progresses, I don't think it'd be shocking if he hit 60 but it'd be pretty surprising.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I dunno, only 2 guys ever hit 70 and only 3 others have ever hit 60. 60 is still pretty rare, done by only 5 guys in 130+ years (although only 85+ years in the live-ball era).

I hope Prince can hit 60 or even 70 (or 74?) homers in a season, but I would put the likelihood somewhere below 10%, despite his prodigious power at such a young age.

Braun was on a 48 HR pace for a full season last year (as a 23 year old rookie). Assuming he progresses, I don't think it'd be shocking if he hit 60 but it'd be pretty surprising.

With a pretty high BABIP (that is, imo it's unlikely for him to sustain .367) & an unsustainable line v. LHP (.450/.516/.964/1.480). I don't think you can find much accuracy in referring to the pace he was on in 2007, since it's largely due to unsustainable factors imho. 15 HR in 111 AB v. LHP! No one keeps up that clip.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Really? What you're saying is more HR = not as many wins. We only won 83 games becuase of a poor OBP and a terrible defense. And situational hitting?

RISP: 106 OPS+

Men On Base: 103 OPS+

2 outs, RISP: 105 OPS+

Late and Close: 118 OPS+

Our situational hitting and performance in close games was above average.

With a pretty high BABIP (that is, imo it's unlikely for him to sustain .367) & an unsustainable line v. LHP (.450/.516/.964/1.480). I don't think you can find much accuracy in referring to the pace he was on in 2007, since it's largely due to unsustainable factors imho. 15 HR in 111 AB v. LHP! No one keeps up that clip.

Braun's BABIP of 1.000 on balls hit over the fence is highly sustainable though, the subset we are looking at.

I think Braun could average ~42 per season and Prince could average ~45 for the next 10 years. I give them both ~ a 5% max chance of hitting 60, which gives us about a 7.5% max chance of seeing one of them do it.

Archived