Brewer Fanatic

Some things never change...

Georgia Brew

"Kerry Wood is healthy for the moment, there are seven men for five rotation places and three men for one closer's job, and Mark Prior is in someone else's camp"

That made me smile. Seriously, though, the Cubs have Big Z and a few others as OK starters. The Mets have Johan, Pedro and a really good looking starting staff. Obviously, championship aren't won on paper, but I think that's really going to be the big issue for the Cubs this year.

So how many flowery stories is that now on the 2008 NL Central Division winning Chicago Cubs? 3, 4, 5? You would think Kosuke Fukudome is the next Willy Mays or something. I am hoping for a Kaz Matsui- New York Mets debut style flop- obviously they are different players, but I think you get the drift.

I can't honestly believe that the Cub fans really think that this will be a cake walk for them to the NL Central title, considering the very talented youth in Brewer Blue. They have the experience, but again it is a much older than Milwaukee's version. I think they are a barking Zambrano arm, and a locked-up ARam back away from a third place finish, even with the "Kosuke Willy Mays Never Played a game in MLB Fukudome" as a savior.

I bet Corey Hart outproduces Mr. Fukudome this year.

Ok that is my rah, rah speech!!

Go Crew!

Kerry Wood is healthy for the moment, there are seven men for five rotation places and three men for one closer's job,
Couldn't you just replace "Kerry Wood" with "Ben Sheets" and change "seven" to "eight" and it would be pretty similar to the Brewer's situation?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Kerry Wood is healthy for the moment, there are seven men for five rotation places and three men for one closer's job,
Couldn't you just replace "Kerry Wood" with "Ben Sheets" and change "seven" to "eight" and it would be pretty similar to the Brewer's situation?

Yeah, pretty much. Obviously, Sheets' injuries haven't been as consistent as Wood's (no arm problems), but personally, I hate to say it...but all the poking fun of the Cubs on this board is a little, um...I don't know what word I'm looking for exactly. I guess I don't think we as Brewers fans have a ton to mock them about at this point. Fact is, the Cubs probably don't really need to pin all their hopes on Wood at this point, where as everyone here has consistently said that Sheets has to stay healthy for the Brewers to have a realistic shot in '08.

While the Cubs did get swept in the playoffs last year, the bottom line is that the Cubs were in the post-season in October '07, while we as Brewers fans were once again watching from the proverbial sidelines.

Really, the Cubs worry me a lot more than any other team in the NL Central. Yes, they need some things to go right (Fukudome needs to be successful, pitching needs to stay healthy), but in some ways they have a fewer questions marks than the Brewers do. Yeah, their fans can be annoying, as can the Chicago media proclaiming them World Series bound, but I guess I don't think we should get too big for our britches, either. One winning season in fifteen years isn't a lot to rally around, yet.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

"If Dempster can return effectively to the rotation (he won 15 games for the Marlins seven years ago) and Carlos Marmol, Bob Howry or Wood are any good in the ninth, the Cubs would have helped themselves again."

LOL.

All the ifs seem like sure things in February.

YOU BEAT ME TO IT! I was going to post that. Nothing like the ol' 15 game winner from 2001 that is going to rattle me!

YOU BEAT ME TO IT! I was going to post that. Nothing like the ol' 15 game winner from 2001 that is going to rattle me!

Hey! He only lost 12 games that year. I mean, who cares if he had a 4.94 ERA, 1.56 WHIP and walked 4.77 per 9 innings? He won bottom line.

Archived