Brewer Fanatic

Joe Dillon

Dmiles23

Have you ever heard of a 4-A player?

Again, he did a great job last year. But I wouldn't just hand him a job. I hope he does well. As someone said before, we have no pop on our bench.

I like Counsell in a utility role because he can play every position, but ONLY if Yost leaves him in a utility role instead of making him a semi-regular. Gross, Gwynn and/or Kapler are competent in the outfield. Riviera (I don't like Munson) is good behind the dish. So I hope Dillion does well.

Have you ever heard of a bench player? He's not going to be starting. He's hit for the last two years he can play 1B, 2B, 3B, and the corner outfield spots so he's versatile as well.

Does that makes Weeks a AAAA player to you as well?

Weeks has only put together very short spurts of success in the major leagues. You could very easily argue he hasn't proven anything.

Apparently, you are not willing to accept that AAA should count for anything when judging a players worth.

Please don't make Joe Dillon angry. You wouldn't like Joe Dillon when he's angry.

Ripping on Dillon right now seems pretty ridiculous. Saying he's unproven is also pointless. How can he prove anything in 76 PAs? Having him on our bench is harmless and should prove beneficial.

I don't care how old he is, just that there's a reason he hasn't done anything in the majors before last year (hmmm, not very good?)

Again -- see his injury history.

If we go with the what have they proven method than I'm thinking Hall shouldn't be at third (80 some games in the bigs there), we can't count on Braun, Yo, or Parra (less than one season in the bigs), Weeks or Hardy (have had injury histories), Cameron, Turnbow, or Gagne (Peds issues), Kapler (hasn't played in the bigs for a few years), etc. There's no way this would be fair by any stretch of the imagination. The real question is...what didn't Dillon do last year to prove himself?

How can anyone hate on Joe?

At this point in their careers Joe Dillon is the "poor man's Jeff Cirillo".

Everyone loves Cirillo because he's a gritty "professional hitter". Joe Dillon is a similar guy only younger.

I heart Joe Dillon! Dude works the count and actually hits to all fields. He's the anti-Bill Hall at the plate.

He's proven himself as much as Hurricane Hazel did for the '57 Braves.

Meaning, it takes more than 6 career weeks to prove you belong in the major leagues.

Nice reference Brewguru2. Dillon could turn out to be another Hazle, but Hazle did have a roster spot of spring training in 1958 for the defending World Champs in a 16 team league and so should Dillon with this team. As TooLiveBrew points out, his OPS has been over 1.000 in every healthy season since 2004 in AAA so it's not like he just learned how to hit.

He's got the kind of stroke and approach that should be successful at any level.

Please don't make Joe Dillon angry. You wouldn't like Joe Dillon when he's angry.

I hear tell ol' Crazy Joe once killed a man with a pencil sharpener shaped like a di-no-saur!

Everyone loves Cirillo because he's a gritty "professional hitter". Joe Dillon is a similar guy only younger.

[and]

his OPS has been over 1.000 in every healthy season since 2004 in AAA so it's not like he just learned how to hit.

He's got the kind of stroke and approach that should be successful at any level.

Best way to sum up Dillon, imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived