Brewer Fanatic

Joe Dillon

Dmiles23

Listening to Melvin and Yost the last couple weeks on Talking Brewers, and reading the new article on the Brewers website about the 08 bench, the name Joe Dillon has not come up very often. Both Melvin and Yost talked about Kapler and Nunez, and both failed to mention Joe Dillon. I'm a little worried the they are going to go into the season with Nunez, Counsell, Munson, Kapler, and Gwynn on the bench, with Gross doing a lot of the starting. That is 4 much needed lefties on the bench, but 5 pretty weak hitters at that.

I know Dillon isn't a world beater, but at least he has some pop in his bat. Nothing like runners on in the 9th, 2 out, and the pitchers spot coming up. "Pinch hitting for the Brewers, #??, Abraham Nunez." I'd almost rather have Gallardo batting than Nunez. Anyone else worried about this? Not just about Dillon making/not making the team, but about our bench in general? I think I am in a very small minority that likes Kapler as a bench guy, but the rest of the bench could be brutal.

I don't mean to knock you personally or anything, but every time I see your screen name (Dmile23) I laugh. I mean honestly, D. MILES!?!? I always forget D. Miles exists until I see a new post from you.

Anywho, regarding Dillon - I've noticed that as well. I hope that they are merely glossing over his name because he is such a given as a bench contributor.

I think Dillon and Gross should be the first two pinch hitters off the bench for the Brewers. (Of course, depending on the pitcher) If Counsell, Gwynn or Kapler are getting more AB that Dillon - I would be fairly upset.

And it's sad how accurate your Nunez/Gallardo comparison is. I would take Gallardo as a pinch hitter in that situation.

I'm with you Dmiles23. I don't understand the love for Kapler myself, who failed 2 years ago in Japan and hasn't played since. Nunez is better than Counsell offensively but that's not saying much.

Munson? First they never use the backup catcher to PH and he can't hit anyway, nor is he much defensively. LH bat or no, they're better off with the pop that Rivera gives them.

I'd be quite upset if Dillon fails to make the team. He proved himself in a pennant race.

You don't balance out a right handed hitting lineup by having a bench full of left handed hitters. It doesn't work that way. All that does is give you an unbalanced bench to go with an unbalanced everyday lineup.

Listening to Melvin and Yost the last couple weeks on Talking Brewers, and reading the new article on the Brewers website about the 08 bench, the name Joe Dillon has not come up very often. Both Melvin and Yost talked about Kapler and Nunez, and both failed to mention Joe Dillon. I'm a little worried the they are going to go into the season with Nunez, Counsell, Munson, Kapler, and Gwynn on the bench, with Gross doing a lot of the starting. That is 4 much needed lefties on the bench, but 5 pretty weak hitters at that.

I know Dillon isn't a world beater, but at least he has some pop in his bat. Nothing like runners on in the 9th, 2 out, and the pitchers spot coming up. "Pinch hitting for the Brewers, #??, Abraham Nunez." I'd almost rather have Gallardo batting than Nunez. Anyone else worried about this? Not just about Dillon making/not making the team, but about our bench in general? I think I am in a very small minority that likes Kapler as a bench guy, but the rest of the bench could be brutal.

you point out a scary thought that jumps out here-lack of bench strength. the brewers like to keep a lot of pitchers, but maybe they only keep 12. so 2 outfield spots(assuming gross or gwynn start) with gross or gwynn and kapler? infield with counsell and nunez? dillon instead of kapler or nunez? hopefully rottino instead of munson? hope no one gets hurt.

I want to know what Joe Dillion has "proven".

All he's proven to me is that he's a 32-year old career minor leaguer.

Don't get me wrong, he did a great job last year, but there's no way he should just be handed a job. He has to prove himself in spring training. He had 76 AB's last year and did a great job. Not proven by any stretch of the imagination.

He's Joe Hardy (to those too young to know, Joe Hardy was a fictional player for the Washington Senators. Sold his soul to the devil and carried the Senators pass the Yankees to the World Series with a great season. From the movie Damn Yankees.)

Injuries were the major reason why he is deemed a "career minor leaguer". I know in talking to him last year he felt the best he's felt in a long time in terms of health. I'm not saying the guy should be a starter, but I am saying that he is a very valuable bench player who can play multiple infield positions and in the outfield as needed. He was easily the best hitter in Nashville last year and showed down the stretch that he can play in the bigs.

What "physical problem" did he have?

Looking at his minor league stats (http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=3981) , he was pretty consistent. He missed the '03 season, but then came back better than ever. Even after his great '05 season (in which he had a cup of coffee with the Marlins), he saw the writing on the wall and retired for a year.

Again, I don't see where he has "proven" anything and why he shouldn't have to fight for a spot on the team.

I don't mean to knock you personally or anything, but every time I see your screen name (Dmile23) I laugh. I mean honestly, D. MILES!?!? I always forget D. Miles exists until I see a new post from you.

Ha... Don't worry, I get it all the time. I think I'm the only Miles fan left. I followed him big time in high school, and have been a big fan of him ever since. I know he sucks, and may not ever recover from his knee injury, but he's still my boy!!

But as for Dillon, I don't believe he has proven much... but what he has proven is that he has a little pop in his bat. And quite frankly, he looks like Babe Ruth next to Nunez, Counsell, Munson, and Gwynn. But our bench is just weak. I've been hoping that Melvin would trade our extra SP for some minor league help, but some bench help is needed as well. This may sound dumb, but a Matt Stairs would look good to me right about now.

Even after his great '05 season (in which he had a cup of coffee with the Marlins), he saw the writing on the wall and retired for a year.

If by "saw the writing on the wall", you mean "had a career-ending back injury", you'd be correct. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Luckily for Joe, there's HGH so he was able to come back, physically.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Crazy Joe and Crazy Gabe should be our designated pinch hitters (I really don't want to see either in the field too much).

If Counsell and Nunez make the team something's wrong--really wrong, through injury or trade or just being plain Yosted.

Counsell needs to be a defensive replacement only, except in the case of bases loaded (hey everyone has to have a talent).

P.S. Vargas will be traded near the end of spring training I'm guessing when a few teams get real nervous. He should net us a middling prospect (hopefully at P or 3B or C).

Even after his great '05 season (in which he had a cup of coffee with the Marlins), he saw the writing on the wall and retired for a year.

If by "saw the writing on the wall", you mean "had a career-ending back injury", you'd be correct. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Luckily for Joe, there's HGH so he was able to come back, physically.

So, he took a substance banned by baseball to resume his career? Did you tell George Mitchell of this?

And even if he didn't have a "career-ending back injury", he was already in his late 20s at that time and wasn't considered a top prospect.

As mentioned by TLB it was back problems. They were severe enough that he almost quit the game forever. What does Dillon have to do to prove himself? Every level he played last year he played well. Again, I'm not saying he's an all-star, but I don't think Dillon did anything at last year to show he's not for real.

He showed me enough in 76 at-bats to "prove" to me that he's a better bat that Counsell or Nunez. I don't care if he wasn't a top prospect. I don't care if he's 32 years-old. He can hit.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Brewguru: Are you just hating on him because he's older or what? All he did last year was prove himself. He played good on every level, including the majors - in a pennant race. Therefore the real question is would you rather have a younger player who isn't ready to hit in the majors, or a middle-aged player who has proven he is ready? I'd take the Joe Dillon's every day. I agree with this statement from Dmiles "but what he has proven is that he has a little pop in his bat. And quite frankly, he looks like Babe Ruth next to Nunez, Counsell, Munson, and Gwynn. But our bench is just weak." I'd take Joe Dillon as a pinch hitter in a clutch situation over any of those names every day of the week. And if you wouldn't because you think he's "a 32-year old career minor leaguer" than I'm sure as hell glad you're not in a position to make decisions at any level.

The key word is PROVEN.

72 AB's does not "prove" anything.

I don't care how old he is, just that there's a reason he hasn't done anything in the majors before last year (hmmm, not very good?)

So, you would just give him a utility job this spring based on his 76 AB's last year. That much is obvious.

Even if he hit .110 in the spring in 80 AB's with 30 K's.

So, how long would you stick with him this year if that kept up through April and May? Give him until June, based on 76 AB's last year? Maybe July? Based on 76 AB's last year? Keep him on the 25-man all season just because he hit well in 76 AB's last year??

I'm just saying he hasn't PROVEN anything. He has to EARN a spot on the roster this spring, not just be handed a spot based on 76 AB's.

If 76 AB's PROVES he is capable after 9 years in the minor leagues, I'm glad you're not running the team because Dillion would be our starting LFer this year based on 76 AB's last year. Cameron wouldn't be here, Braun would still be at third, Hall in center, etc.

Brew... you're missing the point. It's not based on those 76 AB - it's based on his success over the past couple years. He did great in the minors ALL YEAR last year, and he did good for the Crew off the bench. You want to give the spot to someone who hasn't even done that much? Stop hating on him... I'm sure he'll do fine in Spring Training and make the team over at least one of those terrible hitters.

Archived