Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Dempster: "I think we're going to win the World Series."

And That

Is he going to be their closer this year? If so, I see a tight collar coming during save situations.

Careful Ryan, you could become the next goat they blame for decades.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I believe that I read that Dempster was going for a spot in the rotation this spring.

I also shrugged off the article to "Cub hubris", which, when you think about it, is an oxymoron.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

And with this link, I start my 'Stupid Cubs' folder, where I will bookmark any and all predictions or other asinine quotes from our southerly foes. I can't wait to post all of the links here at the end of the season.

whats next, Zambrano saying he's going to win the Cy Young award - o wait he said that last year .. I'm sure he'll say it again, and Kosuke will be ROY and D-Lee will be the MVP with Ramirez winning the HR crown.. IMO their very cocky over there in Chicago.. add Dempster to that list

Why would anyone be offended by this? It's Spring Training, Hope Springs Attorney

"What do you want me to say, that I'm gonna lose?"--Pete Vuckovich

I'm going to assume that's a reference I missed by not keeping up with reading every post each day since the season ended. Attorney?...Eternally, just saying.

I am a Milwaukee transplant, living in Chicago, and a lifelong Brewers fan. But let me play the devil's (Cub's/Dempster's) advocate here for a minute.... This quote does not entirely spell out what he was trying to say in the interview from which this quote originated. He was asked what do you think the Cubs chances are this year? (or something similar) His response was that I think we are going to win the World Series this year...but went on to say that just like every other team in the league, you have to think that going in to the season, or else, what's the point in working hard in the off-season or even showing up in Spring Training.

Just wanted to get that out there in that he wasn't making a T.O. like prediction for the season.

nohopspanther wrote:

I'm going to assume that's a reference I missed by not keeping up with reading every post each day since the season ended. Attorney?...Eternally, just saying.

That's a reference to Jim Powell, I think it was 2 years ago, he accidentally said Hope Springs Attorney and he'll never live it down.

It'd be a bigger story if he said they'd miss the playoffs...players should believe that they're going to win the World Series every year they start Spring Training, unless they play for a team like the Pirates or Royals. I'm sure Prince Fielder would say the Brewers are winning the division this year if you asked him. All players have to have some level of cockiness/confidence that allows them to be so much better than the rest of us bums. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

nohopspanther wrote:

That's a reference to Jim Powell, I think it was 2 years ago, he accidentally said Hope Springs Attorney and he'll never live it down.

I believe it was Kent Sommerfeld, the producer/engineer who said this, not Powell.

Confidence /= telling the media you are going to win the world series.

There are some things that make more sense to just keep in your head rather than say out loud. Do I expect the Brewers to feel as though they will win the division this year? Yes. Do I expect them to tell the media about it? No.

Confidence /= telling the media you are going to win the world series.

Sure, but what Dempster said =/= a guarantee they'd win it. He just said that he really thinks they should. That's confidence.

I don't know; this just doesn't bother me. I'm OK with it if it inspires the Brewers, but I'd hope and assume they're thinking the same thing.

Archived