Brewer Fanatic

question for the weightlifters here

GAME05

I've been lifting and doing cardio for three months now with the goal of flattening the stomach (smallish beer belly) and building upper-body bulk when there was none before. I know it's kind of contradictory to both lose fat and gain muscle, so i thought maybe you all might have some suggestions.

I've been going to the gym every day (the need to maintain routine and not stop going). With each exercise I do 3x7 and 1x12 (:45-1:00 in total) and then :30 of cardio. I just started a 3-day cycle instead of a 2-day one (prevent muscle fatigue), with just one of those days on compound exercises like pullups and dips and such at high-rep, low weight. The other two days it's heavy weight to build muscle. Should I be concentrating on more compound exercises instead of isolated ones? Should I forget mass-building alltogether and concentrate on losing the gut first or vice-versa? I'm kind of at a loss if what I'm doing is going to be achieving optimum results or even if this isn't effective. Plus I don't have a lot of muscle bulk to begin with, so i don't want to get just outright skinny with no muscle just to lose the gut. For the past two months my weight has remained fairly steady.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Diet: good foods 80% of the time, taking creatine and 175 g of protein (was previously taking 120 g, but I weigh 200), and roughly 2,000 calories per day.

I was once overweight withotu muscle so I started takig creatine and working out. It worked nice - I bulked up - but what it does is makes you retain water I believe(muscle is mostly water) . Once I stopped taking it and working out I not only lost my bulk but I became fatter than ever before. Now I am trying to get the courage back to go to the YMCA and workout but I have looking at myself. And it happened quick.

Creatine made a difference and made me feel good about myself while I was taking it, but unless your going to take it forever, I wouldnt start.

Basketball or Swimming might be your best bet early on.

I'd also stay away from creatine. Whey Protein is good... I take a simpler route and drink protein water diluted in tap water during the workout (1/2 Special K Lemon water with 1/2 tap water is quite refreshing if I do say so myself) and then drink a Myoplex after the weight training part. I always do cardio first to get the joints moving and blood flow going. Plus, taking in protein as soon as possible after doing weights is better than waiting until after cardio (if that's what I think I read you're doing). I always make sure to drink the Myoplex within 15-20 minutes of finishing up with the weights. It is kind of chalky... I wouldn't want to hop on the elliptical machine after downing one.

I too have always had problems keeping muscle mass on my body. I have a big frame (6'6 with proportionally longer-than-usual arms and torso) and until I quit smoking a few years ago, a super-fast metabolism. Ever since I started doing the Myoplex thing a few months ago, I couldn't keep any muscle on, but with it I'm starting to turn the corner. It just takes a lot of work. It's also helped that I've been keeping detailed records of fat loss/muscle gain. Twice a week, I check my body fat% and use that to see how much fat mass I've lost and muscle (if any) I've gained. I also record BMI and some other things, all in an Excel spreadsheet. I set goals for myself every month too... it is really a great motivator.

Also remember that it's not easy or sometimes even possible to target fat loss to a specific area. Fat is lost off the body proportionately. So if for some reason fat sticks to your midsection more than other places, you'll just have to be patient with it as your body fat drops throughout. Isolating the abs may help to tone it some, of course. And once the fat does come off, if you've been toning all along, you'll definitely see results in the long run.

I am almost finished with my degree in Exercise Science and Health Promotion and have dealt with this. You said you are taking 175g of protein a day? Well that is not always good because the excess protein you body takes in, above the normal range, will just be converted and stored as fat or released through urine. I would recommend that you tone down on your doses of protein and more importantly take your protein supplement immediately after you get done lifting. For example, after I get done lifting I take 20 grams of 100% Whey Protein mixed with milk. This gives me calcium and an extra kick of protein and helps not convert it to fat. You have to remember that you won't see results in months, it can take longer depending on your body type and genetics. For me it took me 4 years to put on 35 pounds of healthy muscle, but that can be different for everyone.

For your weight training technique I would do 35 mins to an hour of cardio most days of the week and keep within your target heart rate. From there I would train your each muscle group either once or twice a week. For example one week I do chest, triceps, and back on Monday and Friday and do biceps, forearms, and shoulders on Wednesday. Then I switch up the exercise the next week. This provided me with important rest for my muscle groups and I could see more gains that way. If you want strength and bulk then due 5-8 repetitions 3-5 sets on each muscle group. It is important to change up the types of lifts every once in a while with each muscle group so you won't hit a plateau. I hope this helps you, like I said just be patient and you should see the results in time.

much much thanks to everyone here for all the help.

well, the three months i've been working out regularly, the protein and creatine has made a visible difference, so there's a good part of me that wants to stick with what's worked so far. The creatine has helped a lot with energy working out, and i'd kinda like to keep the bulk through the summer (all water or not), but i figure on cutting it out completely in the wintertime (though keep working for strength so it doesn't all turn into pudge).

I will start giving my mucles more time off to recover now, though, as suggested, so I don't plateau. I don't think I'm allowing the muscles enough recovery time, anyway. A day/week of no creatine and all cardio-no weights is likely in order.

I'm starting to think the best idea of all since i'm trying to balance out fat loss and muscle gain is not to rely on tape measuring but to just go out and get a bodyfat% calipers like And That suggests. Then from there adjust my routine to whether or not I'm over 10-12% bodyfat, to whether I amp up protein and heavier weights for bulk, or if I should focus on strength and cardio--hopefully with that I'll be able to maintain the proper balance of weightloss and muscle gain--still eat healthy, though, of course.

Thanks again, this is great stuff.

I've tried a lot of different programs over the years. I was in swimming and track in college, did triathlons, have always lifted weights. Recently I discovered Crossfit. It is by far the best training program I have ever used. It's also pretty fun and rewarding, but very hard. You will build muscle and lose weight faster doing Crossfit than what you are doing now. Check the website out and see what you think. I've made noticable gains in both appearance and performance in just two months.

www.crossfit.com

There's also a local affiliate here in Milwaukee. It's by the airport. Saturday noon classes are always free. He'll also let you try a free week if you want to try it out.

Archived