Brewer Fanatic

Flashback: Tony Gwynn Jr. ruins Padres season

AJAY

ESPN has an interesting article about Tony Gwynn Jr's clutch hit that prevented the Padres from going to the playoffs. On a personal note, I still can't get over the irony of this. I was in attendance for this game, and it was one of the strangest things I have seen in all the years I have followed baseball.

It was also huge for the Brewers because it was win number 82 and it snapped our streak of non-winning seasons. How cool was it that it was a Wisconsin native who got the game winning hit in extra innings (Vinny Rottino).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3243227

I was there too.

The Badgers just won (half the stands, it seemed, were crowded in the aisles, watching the Badgers on TV) and Gwynn hit his walkoff what seemed to be 5 minutes later

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Technically (as "Big T" points out in the article), TGJ's hit was not a walkoff, as it only tied the game. That doesn't mean it wasn't awesome, though.

Like a bunch of you, I was also in attendance, trying to focus on getting the 82nd win instead of the Friday night elimination. I wasn't even thinking of the irony at the time - just busy trying to will the Brewers into the lead (if such a thing is possible).

I'd said for years that I hoped to be watching in person when the Brewers clinched a winning season - whenever it might happen - and that made the 9/29 game satisfying despite the playoff picture. I was standing next to an usher when Vinny delivered the game winning hit, and we both jumped up and down whooping and high fiving.

This article brings back sharp (and happy) memories of that game. Thanks for posting the link, AJAY.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

Great article.

I was also at the game...checking the Badgers score on my cell phone every 5 minutes. I was going through the emotions at the time, as I saw all the Padres on the top step of the dugout, waiting to storm the field in celebration. I expect Gwynn Jr. will make his way to the Padres eventually and will be loved, but he will always have to deal with the implications of that hit--which he should be very proud of!

Just went to Milwaukeebrewers.com and had to watch the top plays for that game. I'm so ready for spring. On a sad note, I watched the Jenkins highlight from that game. Sheer hustle, head down stretching for a triple. I'm going to miss that. Maybe we can get him back if we are nearing the playoffs and Philly is out of it. Wishful thinking.

This was one of my favorite storylines of the playoffs, and it's great to see it getting some more play. I wasn't at the game, but I remember shouting, "IN PLAY RUN-SCORING PLAY!!!" while watching it on Gameday. Heh. Hopefully we'll have the chance to see a lot more of these hits from Little T.

Yes, this was a fantastic article. And not just because I'm a Brewers fan.

Gotta feel for Hoffman. He is a class guy and very down-to-earth and funny. I've always respected him because when you listen to him talk he is just like you and me. Never mind his money or his job--he is like a buddy you hang out with on a Sunday watching football or go out hunting/fishing with.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Community Moderator
I feel for Hoffman, but being a closer for that many years means that you are involved in almost every close loss that your team suffers. Of course, it's better than being Brad Lidge, that Pujols home run might still be in orbit.

Valpocrewsader, I'm not entirely sure anyone outside the VU radio community has any idea who Little T and One Track Mike are. Every time I try to quote their illustrious contribution to radio, I get stonewalled with blank, unknowing stares. Heartbreaking.

I wonder who Shaniqua is, what she does and where she lives.

ah, thanks kaukauna. I was trying to figure out who Little T and One Track Mike are. Now I know. They're somebody I've never heard of (or 2 people that have never been in my kitchen).

Could you elaborate for us non-VU radio community people? Thanks.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I was at the next game. Not as exciting finish wise, but the 3 minute Jenkins ovation was nice. We did also come back from a 3 run hole. Best home game I had been at since we won #80 in 2005.

Great article. I will also duel, pistols or swords, with any person who feels compelled to boo Jenkins this year.

To finish what I started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_T_and_One_Track_Mike

I thought they were common knowledge. Wasn't "Shaniqua" a semi-big hit on MTV? (FWIW, their songs "Loosendin", "Wings", and "Fome Is Dape" are about as good as half-serious hip-hop can be. Highly recommended.)

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Archived