Brewer Fanatic

Is it bad to sleep 21 hours?

jaybird2001wi

When I had mono as a freshman in college, I was in a semi-conscious or sleeping state for 27 hours in a row. I can't say I slept the entire time, but I was out from like 4 pm on a Tuesday to like 7 pm on a Wednesday. I think the thing that ended it was my bladder not being able to hold out any longer.

Sleeping that long isn't bad. . .

It's the stuff you did that so exhausted your body that lead up to the sleeping. . . that was the bad stuff.

Every once in awhile you hear about some Japanese guy dying after staying up for 3 days playing videogames.

I doubt you were close to death, but when you deny yourself sleep for long periods, then you sleep for long periods.

For one period of time my record for sleeping is about 30 hours, but I was also extremely sick with a bad strain of the flu. It's a very strange feeling after you wakeup, to reflect on the entire day that you've missed. That day never occured in your life. I'm pretty sure sleeping is a very healthy activity, but I do hear about a lot of people dying in their sleep......

EDIT: It's 3:38 am, why am I up typing about sleep?

I slept about 25 hours once in college. I woke up Thursday morning, went to class all day, worked 3rd shift on Thursday-Friday, went to class all day Friday, worked 2nd and 3rd shift on Friday-Saturday and went to bed at 9 am Saturday morning. I was surprised (and ticked because I missed the Saturday night parties) when I woke up at 10:00 am on Sunday.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I usually sleep for long periods every Monday night since I work almost nonstop double shifts on weekends. I work Fridays 10pm until Saturday 4pm and then Saturday 11pm until 9am Sunday and then Sundays 11pm until 4pm Mondays, so I just have a bad sleep pattern. It usually takes a whole day for my body to get back to normal, which I why I am typing this at nearly 8:30am and am trying to get my stomache ready for a day of eating.

I slept about 25 hours once in college. I woke up Thursday morning, went to class all day, worked 3rd shift on Thursday-Friday, went to class all day Friday, worked 2nd and 3rd shift on Friday-Saturday and went to bed at 9 am Saturday morning. I was surprised (and ticked because I missed the Saturday night parties) when I woke up at 10:00 am on Sunday.

So when you woke up, did you just assume that you had slept only an hour?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Yep, I work 40 hour weekends. I "volunteered" to be the sacrificial lamb on weekends since we are short handed on third shift and I am the only one willing to work thirds every weekend. I am starting to hate the 40 minute ride to work (Racine to Muskego), so I would like to get something closer.

So when you woke up, did you just assume that you had slept only an hour?

Nope, I went in to the living room of my house and my roommate was watching NFL Pregame. I knew then it was Sunday and was happy that I woke up before the Packers game.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Have you ever fallen asleep in the early afternoon and woken up around 6 pm thinking it is 6am?

All the time, another reason why I hate that it gets dark so early. I've taken naps before for about three hours, where it's snowed quite a bit in that time period so it feels like I was asleep 15 instead.

Back when I was managing a store, I had a 22 year-old keyholder call and leave a message in tears, saying she had overslept, and her fiance took her car, and she did not have a way to come in...she left a message at my house at 7:15PM, thinking it was 7:15AM, and she called the store and just told me to erase the message, because "I sounded like an idiot".

By the time I got home, hours later, I had forgotten, and before I hit delete after a few words, the sheer panic in her voice was priceless.

In my early teen years i once shared a few painkiller a friend stole from his neighbor and we washed them down with a bottle of vodka, sounded like great at the time. I proceeded to eventually pass out and woke up about 20ish hours later, next to a puddle of drool puke and for awhile not being able to grasp why it was dark outside and the clock said it was nearly midnight.

Haven't drank vodka since, just the smell of it turns my stomach.

In my early teen years i once shared a few painkiller a friend stole from his neighbor and we washed them down with a bottle of vodka, sounded like great at the time. I proceeded to eventually pass out and woke up about 20ish hours later, next to a puddle of drool puke and for awhile not being able to grasp why it was dark outside and the clock said it was nearly midnight.

Haven't drank vodka since, just the smell of it turns my stomach.

Maybe that's what I should have taken the other night when I couldn't sleep. A few shots of vodka might have helped.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

A buddy of mine drove out west to Los Angeles over the Thanksgiving week a couple years ago. We drove from Milwaukee to Fort Collins, CO straight through, arriving on Wednesday. Proceeded to visit local watering holes that same night/day, quickly becoming each place's best customers. Hungover all day, had thanksgiving dinner, and proceeded to leave around 5pm. We finally stopped in Vegas for an hour around 4am, it seemed like a complete ghost town. Then continued on our way to downtown LA to check in to the hotel. Turns out we were waaay too early to check into the hotel, so we ended up finding a golf course in San Bernadino that Carl Spackler must have been the superintendant for. The place was terrible. We finally check in around 11am since the front desk said the room was ready. We had been on the go from Tuesday night up until now - drinking heavily, driving for 30 hours, eating a Thanksgiving feast, popping caffeine pills & redbull's all along the way. We had a total of about 7 hours sleep from Tuesday morning up until the point of hotel check-in. We both figured a 2hr nap wouldn't hurt. We both sort of came to our senses at the same point, thinking we were gonna go hit up some clubs or something friday night. But something didn't seem right - it was 9 o'clock and it was light out, not dark, as in Friday night dark. I checked my phone, and sure enough, it was 9am Saturday morning. A 2 hour nap turned into a *22* hour slumber! We were both ticked to say the least, but we made it to the Colosseum to see Notre Dame get throttled by USC in the front row. Ahhh, the good times!

Archived