Brewer Fanatic

DBT/Felice Brothers

RayKingsForemanGrill

I went to a concert last night alone - first time I've ever done that.

But I'm a huge fan of the Drive By Truckers and still hadn't seen them live. So even though I couldn't convince my wife to go, I made the drive down to Anaheim last night and saw the show.

Immediately ranks as one of the top concerts I've ever seen... and I've seen many concerts in my 28+ years. The Truckers played a bit of a shorter set than usual because A) there were three bands and B) Patterson Hood had a bit of Laryngitis.

But the Truckers were on point, and as much as I hated to see Jason Isbell leave the band, the additions of John Neff and Spooner Oldham are genius.

The opening act - The Felice Brothers - were a band I had never heard anything from - but they tore the roof off the joint. True Americana - think early Billy Joel meets Dylan and Springsteen with a dash of DBT. I picked up a CD of there's on the way out and met a couple of the guys in the band. listening to the CD now and it's really good.

This ticket comes to Milwaukee later this month at The Pabst - I strongly suggest all lovers of fine music go check it out...

Oh yeah, I bought my tickets long ago.

BTCD has been in heavy rotation the past few days for me. I saw Isbell the other night in Madison and he was great, even though I miss him with DBT. Spooner is awesome, though.

And I love the Felice Brothers, especially "Adventures of the Felice Brothers, Vol. 1" - great album. I would say they sound more like Dylan and The Band than Bruce or especially Billy Joel (I think of him as an insult, actually). I'm excited to see them as I am DBT, I'm hoping they get a nice long set.

I saw Isbell the other night in Madison and he was great

You know, even though I'm a metal head, I recognized his name for some reason when I heard he was playing the High Noon. If I knew he was such a big deal I may have attended just to see a decent live band--something I don't get to see enough of here in Madison.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Oh yeah, I bought my tickets long ago.

BTCD has been in heavy rotation the past few days for me. I saw Isbell the other night in Madison and he was great, even though I miss him with DBT. Spooner is awesome, though.

And I love the Felice Brothers, especially "Adventures of the Felice Brothers, Vol. 1" - great album. I would say they sound more like Dylan and The Band than Bruce or especially Billy Joel (I think of him as an insult, actually). I'm excited to see them as I am DBT, I'm hoping they get a nice long set.

EARLY Billy Joel... not anything in the last 15 years... - maybe it's just the New York thing, I don't know... and not an exact comparison, but there are bits and pieces in there... a "flavoring" if you will... think back to Piano Man, etc...

I bought "Tonight at the Arizona" and the drummer, Simone, handed me a copy of "Adventures of the Felice Brothers Volume 1". Talked to him for a few minutes - he was really cool, really thankful to everyone he talked to.

Both discs have been in constant rotation the past few days - some great tracks on both. "The Ballad of Lou the Welterweight" may be my favorite... you're in for a treat with their live show - "The Devil is Real" is particularly good live...

I am a huge fan of "Frankie's Gun". Probably my favorite of their's. But "The Ballad of Lou The Welterweight" has a pretty excellent hook. Both albums are very good.

burnie - you should go see The Avett Brothers at the High Noon in May. That's possibly the most fun music venue around.

Brett, I do like the High Noon, but the bands that come in just really aren't my thing. It's great that Cathy Dethmers has been able to establish her venue (once again) as the place to play in Madison. The theaters are fine, but the High Noon just has a certain feel that I like.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived