Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: WEEI reports KC wants to move to NL, have Brewers come back to AL

berniebrewer4life

I keep thinking about this. The Brewers would make up said money from the Cubs and Cards with attendance from the Twins, Yankees and Red Sox all of which draw well here. Not to mention there is another Chicago team that would travel here, has been successful lately - could make for a decent rivalry and I don't doubt that something wouldn't be worked out for a series w/ the Cubs and Cards each year still.

When you take that into effect there is more revenue to be made from being in the AL. Not to mention I think Milwaukee would do better to have Cleveland and Detroit come into town over Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.

What it comes down to is revenue and I can't see the Cubs and the Cards alone financially trumping the attendance the AL teams would draw here.... especially when you consider the possibility of still having a series with each team.

Yeah we'd have to pay for an extra hitter but I would think the extra revenue would make a bump in payroll possible.

Personally I am all for it. I loved going to AL games without having to drive to Chicago to see the White Sox.

Rp

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah we'd have to pay for an extra hitter but I would think the extra revenue would make a bump in payroll possible.

you know what else can make a bump in payroll possible? a playoff run. While it'd be nice to be able to have Prince DH and toss LaPorta at 1B, I sure as heck will take our playoff chances in the NL Central vs the AL Central. Plus, I love the Cubs rivalry.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

it won' happen, but i'd love to see it happen. strategy aside (i'd rather not see a pitcher hit--just pitch), i find the pirates, reds and recently the astros to be boring teams.

i was dissapointed when the brewers went to the nl and would welcome the switch back--but again, it won't happen

I hope there's nothing to this. I really dislike the AL game. The DH is a joke, a bunch of apoplectic slobs who should've been outta the game long ago. If you can't hit and throw and catch and run get out. Just get out.

I hope there's nothing to this. I really dislike the AL game. The DH is a joke, a bunch of apoplectic slobs who should've been outta the game long ago. If you can't hit and throw and catch and run get out. Just get out.

now c'mon. barry bonds is looking to hook up with an AL team. and frank thomas is still playing. so what's your point?

I'm a much bigger fan of NL baseball, but I certainly miss the AL rivalries. I'd be fine with the change if there's actually any truth to this, and it is also true that a move would probably help the Brewers as built immensely for 5 or so years.

Please, God, NO!

As a product of the 50s and 60s there are two things I always hoped for but never dreamed they would happen in my lifetime: 1) the fall of the Berlin wall; 2) the Brewers moving to the NL. Any rumors of unusual construction activity in eastern Germany?

My interest in the Brewers really waned in the mid-90s and was totally revived by the move. Hated the DH from the start when it was just a gimmick to give the sagging AL a boost. There's something special to me about playing the old 8 NL teams: Cards, Dodgers, Cubs, Braves, Giants, Reds, Phillies and yes, even the Pirates, that I never felt for the Yankees, Red Sox or any of the AL teams.

Bye Bye Fielder

Bye Bye Braun

Bye Bye LaPorta

Nay, nay and thrice nay! I don't want anyone to have the DH, much less the Brewers. I'd be all for a move to a 4 divisions of 4 teams like some have suggested rather than a move to the AL.

And for all those who don't want to play boring teams, how quickly we forget that only a couple of years ago WE were among the most boring teams in baseball.

How many of the people who hate the DH are over 35 I wonder ( I am over 35 btw). I definitely see baseball eventually going with the DH in both leagues once the younger generation who is used to the concept becomes the older generation.

Just curious if there are fans who are younger that still hate the DH so much. I personally consider it a part of the evolution of the game just like the wild card and the all star game deciding home field advantage (I know a lot of old school fans hate both of those too).

Bye Bye Fielder

Bye Bye Braun

Bye Bye LaPorta

Why bye bye Laporta or even Braun.... Laporta is actually considered a plus defender at 1st base.... and some felt Braun could be moved to first if we did not have Prince over there and felt Braun would be a good First basemen.....

"could be moved to 1B" is NL-ese for "DH"

But if a guy moved to 1B is a good defender over there then who cares.... you wont say bye bye to him...

Albert P..was MOVED to 1B to help limit the wear and tear.... so are you saying that he should only be a DH..even though he is a very good Defender at First...

How many of the people who hate the DH are over 35 I wonder ( I am over 35 btw). I definitely see baseball eventually going with the DH in both leagues once the younger generation who is used to the concept becomes the older generation.

Just curious if there are fans who are younger that still hate the DH so much. I personally consider it a part of the evolution of the game just like the wild card and the all star game deciding home field advantage (I know a lot of old school fans hate both of those too).

In theory, I enjoy the NL-style of play, as it follows logic that every person who plays the field should also have to hit.

In practical terms, though, I would rather just use the DH in both leagues. It's never going to go away because of the player's union, and I don't like the sport operating with 2 sets of rules. It also sucks when your the bottom of the order starts a rally and you watch it die as a man who has no business swinging a baseball bat flails aimlessly at 3 straight pitches.

As for the league switch, I'm not sure where I stand. When I was growing up the Brewers were in the AL and I was a member of the Pepsi Brewers Fan Club, so many of my memories are of games against the Tigers, Indians, Twins, etc. I really miss those rivalries. At the same time, our new rivalries are beginning to flourish, and I think we have a better chance of staying competitive in the NL.

I'm old enough to remember those 80's Brewers in the AL and wasn't sure whether i'd like the move to the NL. Now that we are in the NL, i like it much better and would be very opposed to going back to the AL.

I have no problem with watching pitchers have to hit and don't long for seeing often out of shape sluggers who can't field a position just bat 4-5 times a game. My viewing of AL games has nosedived since the move and i don't miss it at all.

I'd much rather be in a division with the Cubs/Cardinals/Reds than the Twins/White Sox/Tigers. Plus, i want no part of being in a league with two teams that print money like the Red Sox and Yankees, along with the big spending Tigers and Angels.

Thankfully i think there is little to this rumor

I'm not of even legal drinking age, and I personally can't stand the DH. Sure, it's fun to play with in video games, but in real baseball it just makes the games more tedious -- it seems like every Yankees/Red Sox game is 4 1/2 hours long...at least games stay reasonably short in the NL with pitchers sacrificing whenever possible. Plus, like it was mentioned before, NL rules fit better for small-market clubs...you don't have to pay an extra $8 million a year to a guy who gets off the bench 4 times a game (which is why it doesn't surprise me that the Royals want to make the switch). The game seems to flow better in the NL games, and maybe that's why the inventors of baseball made it that way. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

But if a guy moved to 1B is a good defender over there then who cares.... you wont say bye bye to him...

Albert P..was MOVED to 1B to help limit the wear and tear.... so are you saying that he should only be a DH..even though he is a very good Defender at First...

But what you're describing here is completely different from why Braun or LaPorta or Fielder are mentioned as 1B ideas... Pujols is & was a very good fielder, and is one of the few examples iirc of a guy being shifted to 1B not due to being a poor fielder.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

a) I don't see them moving back. This rumor seems like pure trash. I highly doubt Brewers management did extensive management discovering Milwaukee fans miss the AL. Brewers fans want to see the Brewers go to the playoffs. If the Brewers are in the American League, it becomes much tougher for the Brewers to compete. Jeez, this team averaged 36,000 fans last year and may reach 3 million this season. People were excited about the LAA-CLE series because it was a novelty: AL baseball, cheap tickets, it was unexpected, during Spring Break, etc. I am excited to see the Brewers play in Boston this May, but I do not want to compete with NYY, BOS, LAA, etc. on a yearly basis. I love playing in the NL. As somebody else said, I enjoy the Brewers playing the "classic" teams of this game (Reds, Phillies, Pirates, Cubs, Dodgers, Cardinals, Braves, Giants). I've gotten used to NL baseball and I enjoy the double switches, pitchers batting, etc. Plus, I think this type of move would make the Brewers look bad, like a bunch of flip-floppers, unable to make up their minds.

b) I'm 18 and I do not like the DH. I enjoy the strategy of the double switch and I like the idea of "easy outs" with the pitcher. Tradition is important to me. The DH was a gimmick, IMO, intended to spur interest in the game. I don't like the type of baseball in the AL, even if there is barely any difference. It's hard for me to formally put into words, but I think the absence of the DH makes watching a baseball game a much more intellectually stimulating experience.

But what you're describing here is completely different from why Braun or LaPorta or Fielder are mentioned as 1B ideas... Pujols is & was a very good fielder, and is one of the few examples iirc of a guy being shifted to 1B not due to being a poor fielder.

But Laporta is and was a very good fielder at Firstbase as well... he is being moved because Firstbase is blocked so a Move back over to first for him is not a DH type move...its because he would be he is no longer blocked at first after shipping fielder off...

Braun would be a move because he is a bad fielder over to first...but that Move would make him a PLUS fielder... it would not be like having Ortiz or Dimiti Young playing First...he would be just as good as Overbay was at first...IMO

Archived